To stand the test of time.

TractorBoy

Prince
We can go for quick finishes in cuture, technology, diplomacy or domination but surely the aim of this game is to ensure that we own every piece of land on the planet? Only when there are no barbarians spawning can we be sure that we have completed the task at hand! History tells us that no matter how safe we might feel there will always be uprisings, so why not put an end to them all?

I would be interested to know if anyone plays the game in the same fashion as me.

Good gaming to all.

I certainly don't. I have a pacifist bent, so most of my games end without me putting the sword to anyone at all. Sometimes I wonder if I should find a game that's built more for peaceful builders, but the idea of America building the Pyramids is too wonderful for that.

I've certainly continued a few games until I was the only civ on the planet, just because. Sometimes also for like grudges throughout the game - "All right Maria, now it's time to die, this is what you get for stealing 15 techs from me. You're next, Pahacuti."

I certainly don't. I have a pacifist bent, so most of my games end without me putting the sword to anyone at all. Sometimes I wonder if I should find a game that's built more for peaceful builders, but the idea of America building the Pyramids is too wonderful for that.

Well if that's not putting the civilized in civilization I don't know what is!

Right now I'm trying to take over the ENTIRE continent on Pangaea as America on Huge. There is only me and England, it's the future era and we still have no contested borders. And we both ran out of city names.

Never been a big fan of conquering everything but I almost always finish out the game to the end of time, even if I've won (or lost) before that point.

Right now I'm trying to take over the ENTIRE continent on Pangaea as America on Huge. There is only me and England, it's the future era and we still have no contested borders. And we both ran out of city names.

That sounds cool. Any chance of a screenshot or two?

Never been a big fan of conquering everything but I almost always finish out the game to the end of time, even if I've won (or lost) before that point.

Yeah me too, regardless of what or how I do it, I always keep my victory up till the last possible turn.

That sounds cool. Any chance of a screenshot or two?

Once I figure out how to upload them.

I raise a strong, peaceful Empire before giving defensive pacts to the weak empires.

In my games I punish warmongers and stabilize power between the weak and strong.

I tend to trip over culture victories.

History tells us that no matter how safe we might feel there will always be uprisings, so why not put an end to them all?
Agree, except uprisings occur from within an empire, and history tells us that all great empires are destroyed from within, so the only sure way to ensure your goal is to first possess every tile of land and then it's of the utmost importance to nuke every square inch of it-- it's the only way to ensure your goals.

Agree, except uprisings occur from within an empire, and history tells us that all great empires are destroyed from within, so the only sure way to ensure your goal is to first possess every tile of land and then it's of the utmost importance to nuke every square inch of it-- it's the only way to ensure your goals.

So why go through the pain of claiming it in the first place? You can nuke it from the start :lol:

ive been wanting to play a game where I have the whole planet to myself. basically, playing as OCC and taking every city (including CS) so that at the end of the game only my cap and the last city are on the map.

ive been wanting to play a game where I have the whole planet to myself. basically, playing as OCC and taking every city (including CS) so that at the end of the game only my cap and the last city are on the map.

I have played these a few times but only on standard size, epic speed. Supplying up to date units becomes a logistical nightmare with barb camps spawning all over the place!! I can imagine just how bad it would be on standard speed or quick, heaven forbid.

@TractorBoy: i never play anything other than standard speed. i was thinking of trying this with Atilla/Genghis but instead of OCC I could just raze at twice speed but probably having to resort to some silliness like keeping a trail of cities that i'd later sell to a civ, dow them to take/raze it. since ive never done this im not even sure if you retake one of your cities if you get the Raze option. whenever ive retaken lost cities razing was never in my mind so i never even thought to look for it.

on a completely random note regarding playing a 'certain' way: i also want to test a game where you only build things based on the adviser icons as well as the techs the advisers suggest. when given more than one choice you may choose but if, say, 2 advisers suggest a tech/build and 1 suggests another you have to go with the majority. and no, this wouldn't be at deity, haha.

i also want to test a game where after i settle i immediately click 'Future Tech' and only follow the tech path they gave me. i would have to play to the tech path's strengths/timings to see what happens. (also, not at deity, haha.)

i never play anything other than standard speed. i was thinking of trying this with Atilla/Genghis but instead of OCC I could just raze at twice speed but probably having to resort to some silliness like keeping a trail of cities that i'd later sell to a civ, dow them to take/raze it. since ive never done this im not even sure if you retake one of your cities if you get the Raze option. whenever ive retaken lost cities razing was never in my mind so i never even thought to look for it.
Having read one or two of your posts I was fully aware that you are a standard speed Immortal/Deity player, hence my response to you. I am not sure about the above, it is amazing what we can find out about the game when we play with an alternative style. This might be common knowledge to others but I recently found out that if you capture a City State, let it be recaptured, then recapture it again then you cannot liberate it!!

on a completely random note regarding playing a 'certain' way: i also want to test a game where you only build things based on the adviser icons as well as the techs the advisers suggest. when given more than one choice you may choose but if, say, 2 advisers suggest a tech/build and 1 suggests another you have to go with the majority. and no, this wouldn't be at deity, haha.
Interesting idea.

i also want to test a game where after i settle i immediately click 'Future Tech' and only follow the tech path they gave me. i would have to play to the tech path's strengths/timings to see what happens. (also, not at deity, haha.)
Again this is an interesting idea, if played on immortal I would imagine that either of the above might cause an initial confusion of what victory type to go for?

I saw a thread many months ago where posters were coming out with strange ways of playing the game, I think it was about the time where people were in limbo, kind of done with VANILLA and waiting for G&K. I suspect you are in limbo right now?

I saw a thread many months ago where posters were coming out with strange ways of playing the game, I think it was about the time where people were in limbo, kind of done with VANILLA and waiting for G&K. I suspect you are in limbo right now?

haha, kind of. i havent been playing much lately even though the closer the release date approaches i'm reminded of all the things i remember wanting to experiment with. now they are mostly just ideas but they're still fun to think about.:lol:

We can go for quick finishes in cuture, technology, diplomacy or domination but surely the aim of this game is to ensure that we own every piece of land on the planet? Only when there are no barbarians spawning can we be sure that we have completed the task at hand! History tells us that no matter how safe we might feel there will always be uprisings, so why not put an end to them all?

I would be interested to know if anyone plays the game in the same fashion as me.

Good gaming to all.

Doesn't matter what Civ I play, or what victory I'm initially going for, I always tend to get a bad case of manifest destiny syndrome. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom