Today I Learned #4: Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

I gave up alcohol about 40 years ago.
If you bite the ends off a Tim Tam (the Emperor and Swiss army knife of biscuits), you can use them like a chocolate straw to suck vodka or Benedictine
There appears to be a contradiction here in your situation. And, BTW, one never "bites the end off" an Oreo. To eat one properly you must eat each the two cookie parts separately. First, one eats the half without the filling; then you can enjoy the filled side.

Last edited:
There appears to be a contradiction here in your situation. And, BTW, one never "bites the end off" an Oreo. To eat one properly you must eat each the two cookie parts separately. First, one eats the half without the filling; then you can enjoy the filled side.
In my 2nd sentence there is nothing to suggest I still do that.
I wish you would try to bite the end off an Oreo. It would keep you busy forever. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Judge Orders YouTube to Reveal Everyone Who Viewed A Video
"If you've ever jokingly wondered if your search or viewing history is going to 'put you on some kind of list,' your concern may be more than warranted," writes Mashable :
In now unsealed court documents reviewed by Forbes, Google was ordered to hand over the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and user activity of Youtube accounts and IP addresses that watched select YouTube videos, part of a larger criminal investigation by federal investigators.

The videos were sent by undercover police to a suspected cryptocurrency launderer... In conversations with the bitcoin trader, investigators sent links to public YouTube tutorials on mapping via drones and augmented reality software, Forbes details. The videos were watched more than 30,000 times, presumably by thousands of users unrelated to the case. YouTube's parent company Google was ordered by federal investigators to quietly hand over all such viewer data for the period of Jan. 1 to Jan. 8, 2023...

"According to documents viewed by Forbes, a court granted the government's request for the information," writes PC Magazine, adding that Google was asked "to not publicize the request."
The requests are raising alarms for privacy experts who say the requests are unconstitutional and are "transforming search warrants into digital dragnets" by potentially targeting individuals who are not associated with a crime based simply on what they may have watched online.

That quote came from Albert Fox-Cahn, executive director at the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project, who elaborates in Forbes' article. "No one should fear a knock at the door from police simply because of what the YouTube algorithm serves up. I'm horrified that the courts are allowing this."

Just like there is no "u" in color. :D
Every time I choose to use the American spelling of "color" I get accused on Canadian sites of not being a Canadian and told to "go back to your country."

I could not find mention of it at the Forbes website.

Judge Orders YouTube to Reveal Everyone Who Viewed A Video
"If you've ever jokingly wondered if your search or viewing history is going to 'put you on some kind of list,' your concern may be more than warranted," writes Mashable :
In now unsealed court documents reviewed by Forbes, Google was ordered to hand over the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and user activity of Youtube accounts and IP addresses that watched select YouTube videos, part of a larger criminal investigation by federal investigators.

The videos were sent by undercover police to a suspected cryptocurrency launderer... In conversations with the bitcoin trader, investigators sent links to public YouTube tutorials on mapping via drones and augmented reality software, Forbes details. The videos were watched more than 30,000 times, presumably by thousands of users unrelated to the case. YouTube's parent company Google was ordered by federal investigators to quietly hand over all such viewer data for the period of Jan. 1 to Jan. 8, 2023...

"According to documents viewed by Forbes, a court granted the government's request for the information," writes PC Magazine, adding that Google was asked "to not publicize the request."
The requests are raising alarms for privacy experts who say the requests are unconstitutional and are "transforming search warrants into digital dragnets" by potentially targeting individuals who are not associated with a crime based simply on what they may have watched online.

That quote came from Albert Fox-Cahn, executive director at the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project, who elaborates in Forbes' article. "No one should fear a knock at the door from police simply because of what the YouTube algorithm serves up. I'm horrified that the courts are allowing this."

I could not find mention of it at the Forbes website tonight.

"Every time" suggests that you are being stalked by a bot.
On Canadian sites. That's news sites, FB sites, and the accusations come from snarky right-wing zealots, some of whom I've interacted before.

In short, some people will argue over everything, and if I had a dollar for every time I've been called a "Dipper troll/bot" I'd be rich.

There actually are people paid to stir up trouble on social media and news media comment sites; this has been going on for many years. I actually saw how the narrative they were supposed to push suddenly changed one day, and it was hilarious in a how-stupid-do-they-think-we-are kind of way.

This one account on CBC.ca had been relentlessly pushing for the Reformacons, vs. NDP, but after a lot of people very publicly announced that they were switching to Liberal for a couple of reasons, this particular account suddenly became friendlier, saying, I realize now that you don't like the Conservatives, but you should vote your conscience, if you really like the NDP, you should vote for them.

At that point, the way things were going in Quebec, an NDP vote would have split the left and the Reformacons would have sneaked up the middle and won. Nobody was falling for these tactics, and enough people held their noses and voted Liberal. That's why Justin Trudeau became Prime Minister in 2015.

On Canadian sites. That's news sites, FB sites, and the accusations come from snarky right-wing zealots, some of whom I've interacted before.

In short, some people will argue over everything, and if I had a dollar for every time I've been called a "Dipper troll/bot" I'd be rich.

There actually are people paid to stir up trouble on social media and news media comment sites; this has been going on for many years. I actually saw how the narrative they were supposed to push suddenly changed one day, and it was hilarious in a how-stupid-do-they-think-we-are kind of way.

This one account on CBC.ca had been relentlessly pushing for the Reformacons, vs. NDP, but after a lot of people very publicly announced that they were switching to Liberal for a couple of reasons, this particular account suddenly became friendlier, saying, I realize now that you don't like the Conservatives, but you should vote your conscience, if you really like the NDP, you should vote for them.

At that point, the way things were going in Quebec, an NDP vote would have split the left and the Reformacons would have sneaked up the middle and won. Nobody was falling for these tactics, and enough people held their noses and voted Liberal. That's why Justin Trudeau became Prime Minister in 2015.
I'd try to flush the rats out into the open with some bait they couldn't resist.
Something like: "Maple syrup has lost its flavor recently. Amirite, or amirite?"

And it's gotten lighter in color, too, I think.

Ever notice how CBC.ca doesn't even bother opening up the comments on articles about certain subjects? If they did, it'd just instantly get filled up with the most bigoted diatribes. Honestly, I feel like there'd be no real loss if the CBC people just disabled the comments for good... well, except it'd give the right-wingers more cause to whine about defunding them because 'censorship' or whatever.

I'd try to flush the rats out into the open with some bait they couldn't resist.
Something like: "Maple syrup has lost its flavor recently. Amirite, or amirite?"

I can't really give an informed opinion about maple syrup. It's insanely expensive in this region of the country, so we have to make do with the artificial stuff.

Ever notice how CBC.ca doesn't even bother opening up the comments on articles about certain subjects? If they did, it'd just instantly get filled up with the most bigoted diatribes. Honestly, I feel like there'd be no real loss if the CBC people just disabled the comments for good... well, except it'd give the right-wingers more cause to whine about defunding them because 'censorship' or whatever.

I'm going to have to disagree on shutting them down completely. I've had two different accounts on that site. The first was before the "real names" policy came in, and I realized when the policy started that I'd be crazy to use my real name on that site. When you're a left-leaning atheist in Central Alberta and you have the BS!C kind of government we have here now, I'm taking chances just dropping an occasional comment on Danielle Smith's FB page. My own MLA blocked me years ago when I dared let her faithful sycophants know how unethical she was when she was on the school board here and she had no business being education minister. Now she's the health minister and really has no qualifications for that, either.

My first account had over 20,000 posts and over 60k upvotes. My current one has over 20,000 posts and over 70k upvotes. So just at a wild guess, I'd say that some people agree with me there.

The closing of comments first became a thing for two types of stories: Ones about aboriginal/native/indigenous people (the preferred term has changed every few years), and the cow pies hit the air conditioning in 2015 when Justin Trudeau became PM and suddenly his mother (Margaret Trudeau) became a target for every disgusting POS who ever thought it was clever to mock people with mental health issues (she's bipolar, but at the time when she was making bad choices and acting out in public she was undiagnosed). Add to that the ones who thought it was clever to feminize him (calling him "Trudy" and "Justine/Justina"), and that really didn't help matters.

What has me steamed is that the stories about disability are usually closed to comments. Yes, that means the ableists can't comment. But neither can people like me, who can explain to people what it's like to face certain barriers that the "experts" never talk about.

It's also aggravating that we can't comment on Adriana LaGrange and the state of health care in Alberta. When they're "creating" new spaces using tarps and duct tape at the hospital in my city, and sending elderly people who need long-term care to motels with no trained medical help and LaGrange shrugs and says it's not her responsibility and we're not allowed to comment on that... it doesn't actually solve anything. It just creates more anger. It's been years since I last hated local politicians more than I loathe her and the current premier.

Someone on FB earlier tonight mentioned that there's not much to comment on about science, but of course CBC has kept the astrology page. I wonder how they're going to cover the eclipse next month.

But what's really, profoundly aggravating about CBC comments now is that we can't even READ them after 9:30 pm on weekdays. They're blocked after that, and on weekends and stat holidays. The excuse is that it's "too hard to moderate them" during those times.

Well, I'm no 200-IQ person, but I am wondering why articles that are CLOSED for commenting would need "moderating" if all people want to do is READ the comments. All this has resulted in for me is that I'm far less likely to even read the article, let alone any comments.

The people who keep blathering about "defunding" the CBC are people who prefer right-wing rags like Western Standard or the Sun newspapers. Of course you're right to point out that they don't like not having space to rant and namecall and the rest of it. That's par for the course for them anyway, whether it's YT or FB.

There was a time when CBC was part of what held Canada together, keeping everyone in touch with the news and preventing "whistle-stop politics" in which a politician could play to an audience in one city or province and say the opposite in another and be believed in both places. That's not to say it hasn't been tried in recent times, of course. Both Harper and Trudeau (Justin) appear to have forgotten that there are people outside of Quebec who understand French, and so they got busted for saying one thing in Quebec and the opposite in English Canada.

I just tell the critics that Canadians usually make up our own minds which country's language/spelling we want to use. I use the "u" in some words but not others. There are some words I use the French spelling and others the English spelling. And I'm one of the few people I know who doesn't struggle with how to spell and pronounce "Iqaluit".

But what's really, profoundly aggravating about CBC comments now is that we can't even READ them after 9:30 pm on weekdays. They're blocked after that, and on weekends and stat holidays. The excuse is that it's "too hard to moderate them" during those times.
Oh, so that's why they just get stuck loading. I kept screwing around with my adblocker settings trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

It's also aggravating that we can't comment on Adriana LaGrange and the state of health care in Alberta. When they're "creating" new spaces using tarps and duct tape at the hospital in my city, and sending elderly people who need long-term care to motels with no trained medical help and LaGrange shrugs and says it's not her responsibility and we're not allowed to comment on that... it doesn't actually solve anything. It just creates more anger. It's been years since I last hated local politicians more than I loathe her and the current premier.

In my province, we have a registry of people needing a family doctor. Suddenly when it reaches an all-time high, the premier suddenly claims that it's outdated and wants to scrap it. Note that some while ago they kicked a bunch of people off the list by cold-calling them with an unlisted number and booting them when they reasonably didn't pick up.

Bermuda Tim (he used to work as an accountant helping companies skip taxes) would rather give money to Lawton's to open pharmacy clinics, and shady sole-source contracts for a 'healthcare app.'

Oh, so that's why they just get stuck loading. I kept screwing around with my adblocker settings trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

In my province, we have a registry of people needing a family doctor. Suddenly when it reaches an all-time high, the premier suddenly claims that it's outdated and wants to scrap it. Note that some while ago they kicked a bunch of people off the list by cold-calling them with an unlisted number and booting them when they reasonably didn't pick up.

Bermuda Tim (he used to work as an accountant helping companies skip taxes) would rather give money to Lawton's to open pharmacy clinics, and shady sole-source contracts for a 'healthcare app.'

I'd thought it was ad-blocking at first as well, but then I noticed the blurb they have, saying what hours and days that comments are open.

It's nuts.

Ah, so your province is also doing pharmacy shenanigans. LaGrange made a snotty speech recently about the pharmacare program the feds are offering for birth control and diabetic meds. She basically said, "Albertans don't want this. Just give us the money and we'll do it ourselves."

Except they won't. They never asked what Albertans want, the UCP is being handled by a right-wing fundamentalist party that would prefer that birth control be made illegal, and nobody here gives a damn if diabetics live or die. My own brand of insulin got changed by the previous health minister without consulting either me or my doctor.

Τιλ about Lailaps (or Lailapa) regarding her mythological origin. Now the term just means heavy rain/storm, or fire if an epithet for that is used, but in mythology Lailapa was a hunting dog created by Hephaestos for Zeus.
It could catch any prey. This led to a paradox later on, when it was loaned to a king who wanted to catch a fox that could never be caught. Thus Zeus decided, instead of allowing the hunt to go on forever, to turn both animals to stone and later place them as stars in the Canis Major constellation (Lailapa is the Alpha: Sirius). Later on those stars were mythologically linked to the hunting dogs of Orion.

Top Bottom