Top 10 "Naval Civs" through Civ 5, DLCs, and Gods & Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would like to see the same list except for land. funnily i think danes/vikings would still have a place on that list too

For Maoi, the ideal buff would be if they could be stacked with farms.

^^ that actually would be awesome! i like polynesia but i agree, spending all that land to try and get 2 or 3 culture and not much else doesn't really seem worth it after the first time where you just wanna see how the uI works

IMO, the Moai are a bit underrated. You don't need to focus on a cultural, tall, VC to play Polynesia. Moai are perfectly good for border expansion in a wide empire. I think some people get tripped up as Polynesia because they spam the map with Moai and halt their growth. For most cities, building 3-4 Moai and only working the best 1 or 2 is a good strategy. Alternatively, some people try to overleverge the UI by settling in some ridiculously distant location, thereby losing 20 turns.

Maybe Arabia should somewhere on top ten because they have double oil meaning they could potentially have the largest navy toward late-game?

^^ that actually would be awesome! i like polynesia but i agree, spending all that land to try and get 2 or 3 culture and not much else doesn't really seem worth it after the first time where you just wanna see how the uI works

if they could work tiles like gp improvements that would make the civ as a whole move up everyone's lists

Another thing that count in favour of Polynesia is that they get too meet everyone early, giving them a tech diffusion advantage, as well as giving them more trading partners. On top of that they get quicker access to all city states and their bonus quests.

All in all I do however think I agree with your list.

For archipelago Babylon is king. Whoever gets to frigates first wins the game.
And that free GS kind of garantees you get there first. Especially after they changed how much the tech for national college costs.
Even without iron, privateers is enough to take a city from an earlier era anyway.

So all those naval civs loose out to an allround civ.
Also i would put Egypt and France up there. France gets a faster +2 food or free worker that can get them the Great Library earlier. Egypt gets a 20% bonus towards wonders and might have a crack at it.

I think the Netherlands are underrated. The best thing about the Sea Beggar is that it starts off with Logistics when you have a barracks and armory in your city. Not only can you attack twice but you can also move the ship out of the way to attack with another Sea Beggar, making them rather effective at taking over coastal cities of about any size. And let's not even begin about upgrading them to destroyers...

i just like that there are 10 "naval" civs. although some are a bit more questionable than others, still they make me want to play archipelago in different ways rather than a simple dom game.

I find the Ottomans are awesome. Cheaper navy is definitely a boon. I agree with England at the top though, despite the disagreements, England is a determined navy power and rightly so. I would put Dutch higher though, those beggars are nasty!

For some not that obvious civs, Rome and Russia might do better than average on water maps.
Russia because they can easily get the iron required for a massive frigate fleet. Rome because Republic and Merchant Navy combined with their UA makes getting those typically hammer starved coastal cities much easier to get up and running with Lighthouses and Harbors.

The Byzantines earned a measure of respect from me in a recent game. I approached one of their coastal cities with a sizeable army that should have been able to take the city without too much difficulty - should have, except for the dromons. The Byz had one dromon parked in the city and one on the coast just outside of it, and I couldn't get near that city without being roasted. Those two dromons essentially prevented me from having any prayer of taking that city. I would have lost at least one unit a turn, with no possibility to withdraw before they died.

What place would Portugal be in? The UU is pretty good for generating gold in CS, plus, Portugal can build the Feitoria.

Moderator Action: Please do not necro 4-year-old threads This thread is closed, but you are free to open a new thread on the same topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom