Top 100 movies listed by Time magazine

Those clowns definitely don't know comedy. Specifically, slapstick.

Blazing Saddles,
It's a Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad, World
Airplane!

Got left out by this.

Other omissions (I know some are repeats...)-

Das Boot
Kagemusha
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Breaker Morant

Half of my top ten is missing (The Wizard of Oz, West Side Story, Annie Hall, Vertigo and The Graduate) but the point of these lists is to make people talk about movies, so they obviously did a good job.

(And it's no mean feat - I've tried to get something like this going here before to no avail.)

What is this Das Boot people keep pointing out? I get the feeling I've seen it but what would it's translated name be? What's it about and by whom?

I just though of another EXCELLENT film - Belle Ville Rendez-vous.

Turner_727 said:
What Dreams May Come needs to be on that list too.

:lol:

So far, the only movie where I left the cinema during the break........

These list are always crap. There's no use in it, is there?

I'd add "The Deer Hunter"

Rambuchan said:
What is this Das Boot people keep pointing out? I get the feeling I've seen it but what would it's translated name be? What's it about and by whom?

I just though of another EXCELLENT film - Belle Ville Rendez-vous.

Das Boot is German for 'the ship / the vassel' . It's about a U-boot which means Unterseeboot (underseaship).

It's better not to translate it. It kinda looses its meaning when referred to as 'The Submarine'.

The movie is brilliant way of pointing out the life on a German WWII submarine. Not an easy subject....

Stapel said:
Das Boot is German for 'the ship / the vassel' . It's about a U-boot which means Unterseeboot (underseaship).

It's better not to translate it. It kinda looses its meaning when referred to as 'The Submarine'.

The movie is brilliant way of pointing out the life on a German WWII submarine. Not an easy subject....
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks. I'll check it out. I agree, translation kills it but I needed some idea! :lol:

Stapel said:
:lol:

So far, the only movie where I left the cinema during the break........
:shrug: Not my fault you don't get the movie....;)

Stapel said:
These list are always crap. There's no use in it, is there?

I'd add "The Deer Hunter"

I wouldn't say they're crap. If nothing else, they give insight into the people who picked them.

I'll grant that The Deer Hunter was a good movie. I'll even go great. It's problem is that it's a good movie in a category of good movies. Others just seem to tell the story a bit better.

Turner_727 said:
I'll grant that The Deer Hunter was a good movie. I'll even go great. It's problem is that it's a good movie in a category of good movies. Others just seem to tell the story a bit better.

Not really sure. Full Metal Jacket kinda does.
But TDH simply has this setting that describes ordinary men from ordinary industrialised Pennsylvania. It shows ordinary men in extreme circumstances, turning into not so ordianry men.

But maybe it is just because this was the first of the movies of this kind that got me.

Many movies have this problem.

When you have seen Schindler's list, Shoah and several other holocaust movies, you're not so eager to put "The Pianist" in your list.

Right. See, I was exactly the opposite. TDH was about the last Vietnam movie I saw. So while it's a good film in and of itself, I've got so many others in that era that TDH is not as good in my mind as it actually is. It may sound like I'm dogging the movie, but I'm not. It's a good movie.

The last Vietnam movie I saw was Casualties of War. If I had seen that before the others, it would have looked a lot better than I thought it was. But CoW is one of those movies where you can take the story out and put it anywhere. TDH, IMO, is more of a period piece, then just using Vietnam as a backdrop for the story.

Can't believe I had to go back 3 pages to get this thread just so I could say:

- "Fiddler on the Roof" :D.

That's better.

Thanks for bringing it back Ram! :D

Requiem For a Dream.

The ending really boiled my head :eek:

Mr Aronofsky also gave me Pi, but that one is still wrapped.

Stapel said:
When you have seen Schindler's list, Shoah and several other holocaust movies, you're not so eager to put "The Pianist" in your list.
I have seen Schindler's List, but not the others, but I still think the Pianist is very good. Another film that should be there, and keeping with the piano, is The Piano. That is a very good film.

rbis4rbb said:
I think they're trying to be artsy, just by pciking obscure, old, foreing language films. Like "Hah! I watched YiHGfhNBO and enjoyed it! I'm culturally enriched!"

Obviously I'm not intellectual enough either to know what really makes a movie good. I thought RoboCop was good.

Adebisi said:
Obviously I'm not intellectual enough either to know what really makes a movie good. I thought RoboCop was good.
Self fulfilling prophecy :hmm: ?

Joking aside Robocop does have quite a bit to say. Personally I wouldn't put it in the top 100 all time.

Don Cheadle was incredible, but Joaquin Phoenix and Nick Nolte were basically sleepwalking, I thought . . .

Stapel said:

Das Boot is literally translated into English as "The Boat," which is also the name of the movie when it was dubbed in English.

BTW, for historical reasons, submarines in both the U.S. and Royal Navies are referred to as "boats."

Top Bottom