Total list of CHANGES in expansions, not ADDITIONS.

FlorbFnarb

Warlord
I'm looking for a concise list of what the expansions CHANGED from the original Civ V, as opposed to new things like new mechanics (religion, etc.), new units and new civs.

I would give the example I was thinking of, but it just slipped my mind... o_O

AI won't give you lumps of gold in a trade unless you have a DoF, only gold per turn.

Just of the top of my head:

Units have 100 hp instead of 10 hp as they did in Vanilla
Iron appears on the map at Bronze Working instead of Iron Working
Triremes are now melee instead of ranged.

There are a lot of changes: many great people have changed, culture buildings are changed, Social Policy trees are changed, tech tree has changed, AI behavior is changed, diplomacy also changed, some victory conditions have changed.

Almost every aspect of the game is changed, it's going to be tough to make a list of things that are changed. Then there are patches that changed things.

Ah yes, I just remembered: Piety and Rationalism are no longer incompatible, which is a good thing. I like the idea of choices, but to be honest I think it sent a bad message, and there are better ways to have tradeoffs.

It is difficult to say because there have been changes in both post bnw and pre bnw. Bnw has changed twice: during pre bnw and post bnw, which one would you like to know about?

I guess my only experience has been with the base game and the current full game with all expansions, nothing in between, so I suppose I'm looking at the changes between the two.

Probably a lot to ask for one thread. :/

It's tough to answer because many things were both a change and an addition. Trade routes, for example, both changed (value of city connections) and was added-to (vans and cargo ships). If you go to patch notes on the Firaxis site, you can see the alterations in more detail. Also, just after a quick search (quoted from gamefaqs site):

everything you could ever want to know and more about both expansions

Gods and Kings
http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_expansion.html

Brave New World
http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_bravenewworld.html
---

This really seems to have changed in how the game plays.

Did they even change how fast borders expand, or did I just get too used to how America's borders expand?

Gnk changes
Religión
Added a couple of civilizations
Added faith for religion and pantheons
Bnw
Tourism was added
Gold in most river tiles were removed
Caravan and cargo ships were added
Á few more civilizations were added

The dlcs had different unique civilizations that werent in bnw nor in gnk expansions and the map packs that were added were another expansion, also

Ah yes, I just remembered: Piety and Rationalism are no longer incompatible, which is a good thing. I like the idea of choices, but to be honest I think it sent a bad message, and there are better ways to have tradeoffs.

That was sending really really a bad message. Glad that they fixed.

That also used to happen in gnk. You cant choose all the social policies in gnk. Another change in gnk to bnw was the great artists unique improvement ability. Great artists no longer made landmarks as unique improvements and make great works of arts instead. Landmarks are only built by archeologists digging where a artifact is.

Great Artists culture-bombed in Vanilla and G&K (I think). It has been so long since I played Vanilla or G&K I can't really remember for sure, but I don't think GGenerals culture-bombed. In BNW Great Artists no longer culture-bomb map tiles: Great Generals do with their Create Citadel function.

Great Artists culture-bombed in Vanilla and G&K (I think). It has been so long since I played Vanilla or G&K I can't really remember for sure, but I don't think GGenerals culture-bombed. In BNW Great Artists no longer culture-bomb map tiles: Great Generals do with their Create Citadel function.

Great artists culture bombed in civ 4 but like you said great generals are the ones that do the border stealing now.

I think archaeologists do too if you make a monument, don't they?

No, archeologists can only work with artifacts that are revealed with archaeology technology. An aarchaeological dig is created when a archaeologist works with a artifactthat was rrevealed. An archaeologica ldig ddoesn't do a cculture bomb.

All an archaeologist can do to the game map, other than make the dig, is add a landmark imrovement to the tile where the dig was conducted. Whoever owns the tile gets the extra culture benefit of the landmark improvement, and this may or may not be the same player as the one who owned the archaeologist. AI civs will like you a little better if you 'landmark' one of their tiles, but they really don't like you very much if you go in and steal the dig site from them and use it make an artifact for yourself.

All an archaeologist can do to the game map, other than make the dig, is add a landmark imrovement to the tile where the dig was conducted. Whoever owns the tile gets the extra culture benefit of the landmark improvement, and this may or may not be the same player as the one who owned the archaeologist. AI civs will like you a little better if you 'landmark' one of their tiles, but they really don't like you very much if you go in and steal the dig site from them and use it make an artifact for yourself.

Making a landmark or a work of art artifact won't get you a culture bomb either.

Top Bottom