Total Noob needs help.

Nikalaus

Chieftain
Spoiler :
C2B78719-E372-424E-893D-6185EAC4AB41.jpeg
I’ve never played the old Civ’s from the DOS days, I’m literally on like hour 6 of experience. I’ve chosen to try and get good at piloting the Russians. I did some homework, and the prospects of peaceful victories options by way of faith and culture appeal greatly to my personality both in and out of game.

Anyways, I’m on turn 16 of a second game and I hit the jackpot, I still don’t know what it will all mean for the late game but I know it’s good, I found a natural wonder (killimanjaro) right next to my starting city, which boosts food output in the tundra tiles adjacent which is not usually great. And I also found a RELIC in a near by tribal village via a scout. From what I have read this is an amazing kick start for the Russians.

Again my appologies for such a basic question but I really don’t want to blow this, I’d kinda like capitalize on this, the kicker here is the mountain is also on a coast...

I have absolutely NO CLUE how coastal trading/fishing works at all. I have not researched anything about the Maritime aspect of the game because this is the first time I’m so close to the coast with a really amazing incentive to drop a city near the coast.

Could somebody please give me some general pointers on firstly whether or not I should try to include sailing; and a bit of general how to. Like I don’t even know how close I need to be to the coast for it to work? Do I need to build a special district, building, or improvement to start building boats?

I just totally screwed up a fairly decent game I started, and was about 60 turns in and dropped a city by a wonder thinking it was gonna be the cats meow. Turns out it was in the heart of the desert. I was so excited for the adjacent wonder bonuses, and then I hit the button to produce my first unit building etc and was just floored. 80+ turns to produce basic stuff like a warrior or scout.

This is such a stellar start I don’t want to screw it up with stupidity. I’d kinda like to pilot this one with a bit of class. Thanks guys.

Spoiler :

Last edited by a moderator:
You could settle your second city on the spot where that slinger is if you want to boost sailing, with peter grabbing extra land he might grab those tundra tiles near kilo too. Don’t sweat the sailing stuff, you can build a boat anywhere you see fish on the map.

biggest thing though is you need to turn on yields so you can see the stats of each tile. In bottom left click map options > show yield icons.

my rec would be stop that monument and build a settler while researching astrology since you’ve already boosted it by discovering that wonder. Settle your second city either where the slinger is or one closer to kilo. Build a lavra in your first two cities as soon as possible and grab the dance of the aurora pantheon for massive holy site adjacency, then when the religion pops you can snag work ethic and have some crazy strong cities, game should be a cake walk from there. After you meet an ai you probably want to sell that relic to them, you won’t need the faith and they’ll give you an absurd amount of gold for it esp on higher difficulties (ie all of theirs for 30 turns).

might wanna save every couple turns too—can be handy for learning the game

You could settle your second city on the spot where that slinger is if you want to boost sailing, with peter grabbing extra land he might grab those tundra tiles near kilo too. Don’t sweat the sailing stuff, you can build a boat anywhere you see fish on the map.

biggest thing though is you need to turn on yields so you can see the stats of each tile. In bottom left click map options > show yield icons.

my rec would be stop that monument and build a settler while researching astrology since you’ve already boosted it by discovering that wonder. Settle your second city either where the slinger is or one closer to kilo. Build a lavra in your first two cities as soon as possible and grab the dance of the aurora pantheon for massive holy site adjacency, then when the religion pops you can snag work ethic and have some crazy strong cities, game should be a cake walk from there. After you meet an ai you probably want to sell that relic to them, you won’t need the faith and they’ll give you an absurd amount of gold for it esp on higher difficulties (ie all of theirs for 30 turns).

Thanks for your reply.

About Lavras’ Is it possible you can only build one per city? Built in my previous game, and then I was think well, hey why not build another and then, There was a check mark in the menu and could not seem to figure out how/if able to build a second one...?

Specialty districts (Lavra is just the Russian unique version of the specialty district "holy site") can only be built one per city. Depending on city placement, two of the same type of specialty district might be built on tiles that are next to each other, but when you inspect closely you will see that they are built on tiles that belong to two different cities. A city can contain multiples of certain other (non-specialty) districts (most notably neighborhoods and canals).

Did I not read somewhere about a particular belief synergising well with relics to boost faith and tourism?

Also... How does upgrading the Lavras with a Shrine or the Stonehenge impact the game? Does this actually trigger starting a religion that you can start spreading via the apostle/mission route? I'm still not 100% sure how this ties into the race to found the religions? Is the Theology in tech necessary to found a religion?

Arg sorry... so many questions. Whew... what a learning curve.

Reliquaries does do that, but that’s going to be a tough strategy to pull off early on (and weaker besides).

Stonehenge is useless on peter, fairly useless overall in general. Shrines and temples give faith and will speed up how quickly your religion founde but aren’t at all needed early on. One lavra = 2 pts toward a great prophet per turn, shrine = 1. Theology is just another government, makes faith buying more powerful.

don’t worry too much though, it’s a great start for sure but nothing you won’t see again. Gonna take some time to learn, lotta systems and religion in particular is complicated

Reliquaries does do that, but that’s going to be a tough strategy to pull off early on (and weaker besides).

Stonehenge is useless on peter, fairly useless overall in general. Shrines and temples give faith and will speed up how quickly your religion founde but aren’t at all needed early on. One lavra = 2 pts toward a great prophet per turn, shrine = 1. Theology is just another government, makes faith buying more powerful.

don’t worry too much though, it’s a great start for sure but nothing you won’t see again. Gonna take some time to learn, lotta systems and religion in particular is complicated

Indeed, I see what you meant I’m around turn 50ish now, I did gamble on the Henge at the end, but, I had already pulled my great prophet from my Lavras’ boost before the henge was complete. On the flip side the henge awarded me an apostle Waaaaaaaaaaay before I could have built the infrastructure to train one. I have thus Evangelized two city states thus far.

Thanks for the help. Its been a great learning experience.

If you’re new to the game/series, my suggestion is to ignore things like wonder-building (aside from what you’ve already done) and also not focus too much early on a specific victory condition. Focus on building infrastructure - improvements, districts, and their buildings - and expanding to new cities. Those game mechanics are going to be the most important things to learn about in the beginning. With a good all-around civ like Russia, you can easily get to turn 150 (or beyond) without deciding to go for a particular type of victory.

If you’re new to the game/series, my suggestion is to ignore things like wonder-building (aside from what you’ve already done) and also not focus too much early on a specific victory condition. Focus on building infrastructure - improvements, districts, and their buildings - and expanding to new cities. Those game mechanics are going to be the most important things to learn about in the beginning. With a good all-around civ like Russia, you can easily get to turn 150 (or beyond) without deciding to go for a particular type of victory.

I have to agree.

I have read strategy guides saying that Russia is really geared towards a Culture based victory with Faith as a backup, I am now rapidly approaching turn 100 of this game and I still have generated very little culture, but a crap ton of faith. So ... I agree with you it would appear the ancient area is kinda of a General setup and the Classic Era is more where you start to tune up your victory option... as least that has been my experience with This “go-around”.

Reactions: PiR
Yup Russia is pretty unique in that they’re a generalist civ but also top tier at like...almost everything. Definitely top three for culture, science, and religious victories and quite strong at domination but a step below Gran Columbia and company. Perfect civ to learn the game with.

Regarding "saving every turn", there's actually an option for the game to auto save every turn. Then if you mess up, just reload that turn.

Top Bottom