Tower Victory

max_gradient

Chieftain
Has anyone actually ever achieved one? I tried it and later realized that you cannot change mana nodes node type once the node has been built - doh!

Getting 14 mana types seems quite impossible to me, at least on standard and large maps.

Is there any possibility to ease this victory condition a bit, like requiring only 2 out of 4 mana type or something similar? Altar victory is a piece of cake compared to the tower...

Cheers!

The Amurite world spell gives you experience for all the nodes if I recall correct. Oh and it turns them back into raw ! ;)

I got it once as the Amurites when you only needed 3 of 4 mana for each tower.

I founded 4 religions and captured the 5th holy city. I then built all wonders that gave manas, like Soul Dept, and I had a few mana spheres, and that was that.

Managed it several versions back as the Sheaim, although I was on the road to domination once I'd bagged enough nodes.

its actually not that difficult, 3 from palace, 7 from holy city wonders, 3 per vassal, a few wonders that grant them, mana nodes around, the ability to reset terrain mana nodes a few ways (beast of agares, events, culture shifts, purge ritual), traded mana.

I'm winning that way now, I simply bashed my smallest rivals until they agreed to become my vassals and then I got their manna.

I got it a while back as the Calabim. Played on a terra map and was the first to the other continent first and took over. So that gave me a lot along with wonders.

I just downloaded this a few days ago and my first victory was a tower victory with bannor, had to trade for a chaos mana but all the others I harvested myself from nodes and got from my palace. I had already built nodes for the ones I got from wonders.

I generally plan everything around mana and usually do Tower Victories. I enjoy being a builder, then a defender (when the world declares war as you start the final tower.

Islands help, or a "New World" landmass. Some trading, but mostly careful city placement and Huge map with no more than default civs. Found religions if able and claim unique features for Fire, Death, Sun & Life (or trade for Death, then build the wonder to get your own source)

I usually do best with Khazad or Keelyn

I won my last game with the !Grigori! this way, but there were many circumstances, which made it quite easy (fractal, large). All of my neighbours had a war going on early (about round 70) and crippled themselves, which gave me enough space to build up a large empire. Additionally, I captured a city of the Balseraphs, which was taken by orthus, with my hero scout. This city had access to three mana nodes.
As I researched Feudalism, I ended up with having 6 vassals and only three free nations left, and as they dogpiled me, they had no chance to even reach my border.

Tower victory is my favorite now as I tend to get bored fast in the end-game conquering all cities especially if I cant raze them :rolleyes:

There are two ways to achieve tower victory imo :

Builder:
Firstly use religions. Up to prince I am able to grab all religions but one (usually) depending on other leaders.
Found the religions, breed great prophets: build all wonders with +great prophets points in the GPP farm (with enough farm and production). Use the great prophets to build the religion wonders.
If you get another type of GP you can use them as well as alternate (veil building with scientist, etc).

Grab as much land as possible at the beginning, and plan on settling near raw nodes (in the big fat cross or just one tile outside it).
The first nodes you build are: life and fire
Then go mind, body and enchantement (if you dont have them from palace).

Then rush the soulforge, get entropy and chaos mana (and shadow now too? council of esus wonder or node) to build the tower of necromancy. Thats welcomed death mana.

If you get too short, use the ritual of oghma thingy.

When you are set, prepare to defend when you build the tower of mastery :rolleyes:
This is almost like a domination victory actually. Only easier.

The best civ for this used to be amurites because the palace offers mana not obtainable through religious wonders.
I never use the crap amurites civ spell as I find it stupid to destroy all my pretty nodes and my mages dont need the crap exp it gives (raging barbs/close neighbours and fire balls are all you need).

Amurites civ spell is really the crappiest of all, btw. Make it +1 free level to all arcane units or something.

War-monger:
Now sometimes at prince I cant grab enough religions. At monarch I can usually get max 3, so I go for either the "good" or "bad" ones :
OO, veil and esus OR runes or leaves, order, emp (if possible for emp, if not its no problem, emporyan religion and sun mana are crap).
So wait for other civs to found the religions and go annihilate them.

Top priority is to get OO first, if you cant found it, go grab the holy city.
Then found yourself or grab runes and leaves as soon as they are founded. Earth mana does give chances to discover more ressources and nature mana to breed druids or nature III archmages to improve land.
Only after focus on getting other holy cities.

If the religion is founded too far, like on another continent, just grab (alot of) land and create the nodes you need.

Its really just planning ahead and scouting what other leaders you have and where the holy cities are :
If you have clan/doviello leaders, cassiel or auric, you can found all the religions. Some other civs have favorite religions: dorf leaders always found runes early, elves found leaves early, etc. Scout your neighbours early, if you have elves as neighbour you can skip founding leaves for example. Trade for religion techs before attacking your neighbour.
If you have good leaders, you need to hurry the good religions, if you have sheaim you need to hurry veil, etc.

Some features also give mana like the tomb of sucellus (life), that fire pyramid (fire) and the broken sepulchre (death). Plan to grab these early as well.

In my 2 stacks of doom now I have highly promoted units with city attack, 2 lichs (fire+death maxed), 2 fire+death archmages (not maxed), 1 buffing archmage (with haste, courage, enchanted blades and valor), stack defenders (like guards), heroes and assassins.
Scout ahead and blast them damn assassins.

You will loose mages to assasins, the trick is just to build alot of adepts early and go make exp on barbarians with them (one fire ball then attack), these mages are just waiting to fill the spots of the dying archmages :eek:

Last tower victory at prince I ended with almost 1 mana of each type (no sun tho iirc) + the standard 3 fires and 3 death (huge map).
Tower is more suited for standard and up maps. For smaller maps, I have no idea.

My games always end in a mixing of conquest/domination/tower victory.

And Amurites can kinda exploit their world spell now. Get mana for two towers, use worldspell, make the raw mana into whatever you need for the last two towers.

its actually not that difficult, 3 from palace, 7 from holy city wonders, 3 per vassal, a few wonders that grant them, mana nodes around, the ability to reset terrain mana nodes a few ways (beast of agares, events, culture shifts, purge ritual), traded mana.

How can you change mana with the best of agares or the purge ritual? I was not aware of that, can you please explain?

Thanks!

I totally agree that the Tower victory is essentially an Amurite victory. In fact, playing as them could be tricky, because you have to scout more and spread out your cities to make sure you grab as many mana nodes as you can, which sometimes leads to sub-optimal city locations. But if you do manage it, the Tower victory can be fast. Remember to stick to Runes of Kilmorph and let the soldiers speed up the final tower.

Causing a revolt in your cities (building Beast, Purge when other religions are strong) will put the mana outside of your borders, allowing it to reset.

Nice - I did not know that! Sounds almost like an "exploit" when considering the tower victory however...

Yeah I kinda think they should still be the old mana. The only reason that is in is so that you can choose what mana you want if you capture a city that had a mana.

Top Bottom