• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Toyota-Best Cars IN the World?

Zardnaar

Deity
Inspired by Eltas Whats Wrong With My Car thread I've started this one. I also watch alot of Top Gear and they make alot of jokes about Toyota's being more or less the most reliable cars in the world. That and American produced cars tend to be rubbish when compared to Japanese and European cars (they're normally outclassed bon the track by similar priced and cheaper cars).

In terms of cost vs reliability vs fuel efficinecy do what do you think of Toyota's. I don't particuly like them but a few of my friiends have them and they virtually never break down. The roads here are full of old Toyota's.

I would like a Pagani Zonda or some other super/performance car but for a family car can you get better?

Vroom vroom.

I currently have a 1996 Lexus ES 300 (Toyota subsidiary) with 156K miles and it still runs as well as a car with 30 to 50 K miles. Toyota's will easily give you 200,000 miles out of them and if well maintained could easily get you to 300,000 miles.

I forgot to mention I have a Nissan and the next car I get will probably be a Toyota.

I am not sure there is much difference between toyota and nissan / honda, but if you want a car that will go on for ever I would buy japanesse. If I want a can that is enjoyable to drive (as I do) I would get a german RWD car.

Mazda for the win!!!!

Toyota makes nice cars. All the Toyota brands have top notch workman ship built into them.

My grandmother drives a '89 Camry. Yes, it still works fine.

My family has a Tacoma and the only thing I can complain about is I can't see the clock while I'm driving.

Mazda for the win!!!!

Toyota makes nice cars. All the Toyota brands have top notch workman ship built into them.

Mazda's are much more reliable than they used to be, so kudos there.... but I'm 100% Toyota guy here.

Had a 77' pickup I drove for 20 years before I gave it to my father-in-law for use on some property. Currently driving an '85 Land Cruiser and a '05 Sienna.

Hope to get a Prius next year.

There's nothing wrong with Toyotas, they'll run forever, but they don't have a soul. Boring, basic transportation, which is what some people want, and styling that offends nobody, but doesn't stand out either.

Mazdas are great, there's a few in the garages of various family members, and I almost bought one 2 weeks ago, but someone else got it first.

Mazda's are much more reliable than they used to be, so kudos there.... but I'm 100% Toyota guy here.

Had a 77' pickup I drove for 20 years before I gave it to my father-in-law for use on some property. Currently driving an '85 Land Cruiser and a '05 Sienna.

Hope to get a Prius next year.

Where older Mazdas lacked in reliability they made up for in fun to drive. Zoom Zoom !!!! In the 90s Mazda really stepped up reliablilty. The Wankle powered RX models and Cosmos is most of their reliablity faults lay. But that had to do with the engine design (which has been fixed in the new Renesis motor) more then build quality, the FS and KL engines are very well built in the 90s.

American cars are basically designed to last 100,000-150,000 and then catastrophically fail in just about every regard. European cars are too hard to do anything, American cars too for that matter. Honda and Toyota definitely make the longest lasting, most reliable, most fuel efficient, safe, and easiest to work on vehicles in the world.

But that had to do with the engine design (which has been fixed in the new Renesis motor) more then build quality, the FS and KL engines are very well built in the 90s.
Kind of OT, but have they really fixed the design issues with the rotary engine? Have they (the RX-8) done enough miles yet for us to really know?

I hope they have, I have heard they are a dream to drive.

Kind of OT, but have they really fixed the design issues with the rotary engine? Have they (the RX-8) done enough miles yet for us to really know?

I hope they have, I have heard they are a dream to drive.

Yes they have for the most part. It was done with new composite/ceramics at the apex seals and other minor changes that made it use less oil, less gas, and get better HP ratings. The RX-8 is sweet but not as much fun as 3rd gen RX-7.

It was in testing for over 5 years. Thats why there was a lag between the last year 7 and new 8. Just wait a few years when Mazda lets lose with a bigger motor and factory turbos.

American or bust. You'll never catch me dead in a flimsy Asian vehicle (though I admit the cost vs. amenities of the new Hyundais is damned tempting). And European? HA!

A Toyota isn't a KIA...

American or bust. You'll never catch me dead in a flimsy Asian vehicle (though I admit the cost vs. amenities of the new Hyundais is damned tempting). And European? HA!

Seriouly, if you enjoy driving round corners you HAVE to try a half decent BMW or something. They make every american car I have driven seem like it was made by and / or for children.

And yeah, with the cost of second hand hyundias round here (I got a <5 year old one for my folks for 500 GBP) they are bargains, and I cannot fault the build quality. It is the most borring thing I have ever driven though.

Toyota's are lame...

But I'd rather have something that's lame, reliable, gets good fuel mileage, is safe, and something I can work on myself without taking to a dealership, than buying an American piece of stylish crap.

My family's Toyota Corolla has lasted us a long time, has good fuel efficency, and is just what we need. I think Toyotas are great, and learning to drive on it was a breeze.

Honda is WAY WAY better than Toyota. I don't have any statistics to back that up, but I and my family have owned numerous Honda's (Civicx2, CRV, Accord, Oddessy) and never had a problem with any of them!

Top Bottom