Trade unique units with other civs

labriejp

Jack of all trades
So I had a comment on one of my mods today

sam262c has Sid Meier's Civilization V Apr 3 @ 7:05pm
Excited to see this mod, can you put a mechanic in game that lets the player buy types of ships (or planes/tanks) that are unique to other nations? so as England I could buy an Iowa from America or something like that.
labriejp [developer] Apr 3 @ 9:34pm
@sam262c - that is a really great concept. Something like either a great merchant, or a trade deal via the diplomacy screen for the ability of another nation to sell their unique units, or any unit they can produce to another nation ---- that would take a LOT of lua scripting, but I think it can be done. I'm probably not the guy to do it, but I think it would be worthwhile putting a request up on the forums to see if anyone wants to help tackle it... it would really need to be it's own mod instead of just part of a unit expansion like mine are. ---- Awesome idea man!

Does anyone on here know of a mod or how I could even start doing that type of a mod that would allow on a diplo menu to do a trade deal for a civ's unit over to me?
Is it even possible? City states give units all the time.

Is it possible? Yes. The game core only checks what units/buildings/improvements a civ can build when choosing, it doesn't care what units/buildings/improvements a civ actually owns.

Is this statement correct?
that would take a LOT of lua scripting
If anything, it's probably seriously understated ;)

Is it possible? Yes. The game core only checks what units/buildings/improvements a civ can build when choosing, it doesn't care what units/buildings/improvements a civ actually owns.
I would nit-pick that a little since the game doesn't like to impliment everything for a building within a class when the player is not assigned the building as its "natural" building within the class, but it certainly doesn't cause the game to crash or anything horrible like that. But since we're talking units on this thread this nit is not one that needs serious picking.

Well all this sounds seriously beyond my scripting talents (of which I really have none)

Wondering if any modder would like to take this on as a standalone mod, I think it would add a TON of realism into the game to make it more realistic to what happens in real life/real countries.

Top Bottom