Any way to edit the color/texture of fallout to use in a custom improvement?

SoloWingPixy

Chieftain
Hiya! I've been wanting to get back into Civ V modding after tinkering with it a little bit a loooong time ago, and I'm currently thinking over some ideas for a civ based on Medicine Melancholy from Touhou; one such idea is a defensive unique improvement that's a field of poison gas, meant to mimic her poison gas attacks from the games:

Spoiler Animated Example, from Touhou 9.5 :
tumblr_1390f7a299465ae690ee05d78b6d2646_73d2507a_400.gif

...and with this in mind, I figured a fallout tile edited to be purple in coloration would be a perfect fit. However, fallout seems to be a uniquely difficult feature to view and edit compared to other models and textures; I can't really seem to find any success with it, and I haven't been able to find anyone else who has either. Does anyone happen to know how this might be done, or if it's even possible? Or if not, then does anyone have ideas for a workable alternative?

Hmm...it looks like they didn't have much success in the thread there. I'm realizing my thread title is misleading, though; my goal is to use edited fallout for use in a custom improvement, not a new natural terrain feature. I'll edit the title of the thread to match that.

While the thread you linked--and those linked within it--seems to indicate that adding or changing existing features or terrain is quite difficult, adding a custom improvement should be much more feasible. However, from what I'm understanding in that thread, nobody was able to make any headway on editing the graphics for fallout for either a feature or an improvement, so it might simply be that the way it's rendered makes it impossible to work with. It's unfortunate if that's the case, but there's gotta be some alternative...maybe an edit of the Blight in that thread could be some kind of start.

You're on the right track, custom improvement will allow you to add/remove a particle effect or model to the map, dynamically as the game progresses. The gameplay effect of a feature can be modified on the fly, but the visual will not load in; ie you can have invisible features to add/remove w/e movement rules you may be interested in, and then use the improvement for the visual -- the UI mouseover will still refer to it as an 'improvement' however, and it may still be pillagable unless you make additional changes (in lua via custom dll).

Check out this post for a list of known particle effects: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...s-to-create-custom-units.528638/post-14205303. I believe the fallout effect is triggered via ART_DEF_VEFFECT_NUCLEAR_FALLOUT_01. I assume you've at least started using some of the modding tools posted elsewhere on CF -- you'll have to get into the .fpk files to understand exactly how these interact with the 3d model files. Alternatively you could look through my TreeSuccession mod (see sig) -- it does something similar with fires, and will save you some unpacking, perhaps.

That said, I'll save you some time, there's no means of changing particle colour readily apparent in these files. You can co-opt the existing visual effects, change their scale, relocate them onto different parts of a model, but the effects themselves are coded somewhere deeper in the game files. I can't speak to things beyond this with any familiarity of my own, but @ghost toast has done visual effect mods & may be able to answer whether colour can be tweaked. Modding visual effects in this way requires that users of your mod download extra files/folders, outside of the typical civ 5 mod load mechanism, so compatibility may be an issue if its possible at all.

Last edited:
Hiya! I've been wanting to get back into Civ V modding after tinkering with it a little bit a loooong time ago, and I'm currently thinking over some ideas for a civ based on Medicine Melancholy from Touhou; one such idea is a defensive unique improvement that's a field of poison gas, meant to mimic her poison gas attacks from the games:

Spoiler Animated Example, from Touhou 9.5 :

...and with this in mind, I figured a fallout tile edited to be purple in coloration would be a perfect fit. However, fallout seems to be a uniquely difficult feature to view and edit compared to other models and textures; I can't really seem to find any success with it, and I haven't been able to find anyone else who has either. Does anyone happen to know how this might be done, or if it's even possible? Or if not, then does anyone have ideas for a workable alternative?
For editing civ 5 fallout effect.

It is possible if you have a program that can interact with .psb files (also called particle some times)

I dont have that a program that can do that. Those programs will cost you and are overkill for making things for civ 5.

On the other hand I can make you something similar to the fallout and a little more like the video you posted.

Won't be perfect and it will take some testing.

But making a new effect and adding it to the game will require my more effects mod.

Found here

I can make the effect add it to that.
Then send you a blank model that will be set to make use of the effect.

Civ 5 does the same thing with various effects like fallout and a few others.

They are super tiny triangles placed below ground level. So tiny it really doesn't matter where they are.
The only purpose is to the link the effect to it.

Another thing that goes along with creating and adding new effects like from my more effects mod is that it can only be added through the dlc unless some one can show me another way. The dlc folder is the only method I found that can do it.
The more effects mod is written as a new dlc pack for the game.

The only thing it does is provide the frame work for new effects along with the effect files themselves.
The mod is compatible with everything.
It basically lays dormant until a unit/feature/improvement references the new effects.

As for my more effects mod, installation is easy just place it in the dlc folder then launch the game. It must be done prior to starting up the game.
To uninstall you just delete or move it.

It doesn't effect the way you do your mods. All you need is something with the fx trigger that references a new effect. Which I will provide.

My more effects mod is a slow work in progress I plan to add more and more effects to it.
The only thing slowing me down is the testing time and the need for things that use the new effects.
The new effects are useless unless there is something that will use it.
So that has slowed me down.

on my units and improvement pages i already have a few things the make use of new effects. i personally have focused on the sci-fi end adding new laser beams and other stuff to the game (unless some one makes a request like you :) ).
I'm hoping the new effects mod catches on as a descent component to the game. with new custom made effects the possibilities are endless. if we can think it we can get it into the game now. :)

the only downside i see is that i probably cant get it to spiral. but i can get it to move like a mist like the regular fallout.

Last edited:
its actually funny your asking about this. i got another request a few days ago for a purple fallout effect from another user.
so i have already begun the thought process.

Top Bottom