Traders and roads

Do we know if roads put down by traders are permanent? Or does the road disappear when (or soon after) a trade route is cancelled? The latter would kind of make sense as after a few years of non-use you'd expect the path to return back to it's natural state.

Do we know if roads put down by traders are permanent? Or does the road disappear when (or soon after) a trade route is cancelled? The latter would kind of make sense as after a few years of non-use you'd expect the path to return back to it's natural state.

No but I doubt it, one of those times where realism would just be too finicky

Spent a bored 10 minutes looking through the first 3 screenshots we got to see (new sticky thread if you haven't seen it).

I noticed that there seem to be ancient roads linking the cities and the districts in most of them - perhaps they also get automatically built 'locally' when you construct a district?

Some of the wonders also appear to have roads linking to the city but that may just be coincidence?

Spent a bored 10 minutes looking through the first 3 screenshots we got to see (new sticky thread if you haven't seen it).

I noticed that there seem to be ancient roads linking the cities and the districts in most of them - perhaps they also get automatically built 'locally' when you construct a district?

Some of the wonders also appear to have roads linking to the city but that may just be coincidence?

Just in case you didn't read the thread before posting ;): http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14306059&postcount=5

It makes a lot of sense that districts and cities are all interconnected, since the presence of roads are intended to reflect the movement of civilians and/or commerce.

But, it is also important for gameplay given the importance of districts. In the event of an invasion, it would be an extremely upsetting gameplay experience if you were unable to quickly distribute and position troops to defend your districts.

By the way, is it just me or did the foreign roads in the screenshot "happened" to pass near encampments. I guess one consideration in placing encampments will be to block armies moving along the road. Perhaps forts can be used if you need to defend from a different road or had to place your encampment elsewhere for some reason.

This is kind of related but I couldn't see a thread for it...

Why isn't anyone talking about the complete change for workers? This will be the first Civ where workers can just do stuff straight away in one turn. It kind of worries me a bit but also intrigues me too. The building aspect is one of the big things about Civ and if we just let workers do whatever it will surely take some of that away? :confused:

Why isn't anyone talking about the complete change for workers? This will be the first Civ where workers can just do stuff straight away in one turn. It kind of worries me a bit but also intrigues me too. The building aspect is one of the big things about Civ and if we just let workers do whatever it will surely take some of that away? :confused:
I think the system is a big improvement actually, as it takes away from the tediousness of micromanagement, while preserving strategic decisions. You'll still have to think about which improvements to build and when, but you won't have that disoriented moment when the improvement is finished 5-15 turns down the line and you'd forgotten all about it. There will also be no idle workers cluttering the landscape once you've finished building all improvements. If you want to build a lot of improvements very quickly, you will have to spend more production on workers than before, leading to shortages in other areas (military, wonders, etc). (I suspect we'll have a dedicated 'worker pump' city in most games.)

Consider also that the stealing of workers from other civs or city states may no longer be worth it, as a single worker is only worth a few improvements, instead of however many it could make during a full game in the previous Civs.

You have caught that each Builder (not "Worker" anymore) can only be used three times, right? (Or four if they're Chinese.) So yes, a Builder can build three improvements in three turns, but then it's used up and is taken off the map. If you want to build more improvements, you have to create a new Builder first. That should balance out the fact that you no longer have to wait for improvements to be finished.

Thanks for the replies.

This is a massive change - I actually loved micromanaging all the workers to be honest but this is certainly different...and it could actually be a big improvement. It seems to me that Civ VI is going to be a bigger change than Civ V was from IV.

Top Bottom