• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Tradition policies

That nerdy kid

Vampire Slayer Slayer
I don't ususally use Tradition, but I was wondering how the "Grants free cultural building in 4 cities" or Aqueducts one works. If I sell my original cultural building, do I get it for free? or does it automatically build if I don't have it?

You automatically get any cultural building which is already unlocked through the tech tree. If that building is already present (Monument, for example) you will get the next cultural building for free (Amphitheater). That will happen on the turn you unlock relevant tech.

Free aqueduct are always received upon finishing tradition no matter what your tech. path is.

I'll respond under G&K (vanilla was a bit different). For Legalism, you will receive in your first four cities a free (no cost to build, no cost to maintain) culture building that will be the first culture building you don't already have in those cities. Often this means you had a monument in your capital and maybe one other city, but nothing in the last two cities. When you take Legalism, you will get free monuments in any cities that don't already have them and, once you tech Drama & Poetry, you will get a free amphitheater in any city that already had a monument when you took Legalism. You don't even have to have founded all four cities when you take Legalism -- if you found cities 3 and 4 after taking that policy, they will have free monuments when you get around to founding them.

You will hear people talk about "Legalism abuse" -- that refers to delaying taking Legalism until after you have amphitheaters (or even opera houses) in your first four cities, so you get four free opera houses (or museums, although they come so late you have to ask - why bother?). For Siam in particular, the wat is a university replacement that gives culture, so it counts as a culture building for Legalism purposes (I don't think the patch changed that).

Aqueducts with the tradition finisher are different -- you get 4 free (no build cost, no maintenance cost) aqueducts immediately when you take the finisher, regardless of whether you have teched aqueducts yet.

EDIT: What he said.

Alright quick question.

Say you have a total of 5 cities. You have an aqueduct in 1 city so far. Will it put aqueducts in the 4 without them?

What if you have 4 cities and have an aqueduct in 2 of them. Do they refund you the hammers the 2 you already had cost or maybe give you gold for them or does it just put 2 aqueducts in the 2 remaining cities?

No refund on hammers, no free buildings in the 5th and subsequent cities. The finisher just changes the aqueduct you built into a maintenance-free building.

Top Bottom