Translations

It may become useless.
Diplomacy.sql with Civup is not used in the current release and beta.

We can't help but wait for the "next release".

I can't believe u don't have more success for helping you to translate this mod :eek:. I mean i've try ur mod today and i'm already here searching for translation in French. I've started to translate it and there is a HUGE work to do, most of the time i change my trads because when I see it ingame, it not rly feet well.

Anybody started to send you french traduction? It's a huge work, so if anybody is already on it, we should join our effort, I don't have the time to do it alone, I WANT TO PLAY :lol:

Now CEP basic for BNW is released.
Is there any change to translate since GEM?

The 'translatable text' that was in CivUP/GEM should, with 1 or 2 minor exceptions, just slot back into CEP.

Some translation work for Spanish, German, French and maybe Chinese, I think, has been done.

Check out these posts by Thal:

Thal's opening comment of this thread in Jan 2013

And a much earlier one here.

You mean that sql files of CivUP/GEM also work on CEP?

I think that the steps for translating CEP have not been explained yet.
Though CEP basic includes the CEP_Language table, some sheets are grayed out:(

The steps to translate Cep should be the same as translating Gem. Which sheets have a problem?

Thank you. I just wanted to confirm steps.

I understood translators need to work on two tables(Civup_Language and CEP_Language) only.
I'll try it.

Users can translate map Name and Description from "Communitas Map" mod ?
(see attached image)

Since it is in Communitas.lua file, I cannot overwrite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 131
You can edit Communitas.lua using any text editor (I use Notepad++). Lines 486 and 487, Names and Description:

PHP:
function GetMapScriptInfo()
	local world_age, temperature, rainfall, sea_level, resources = GetCoreMapOptions()
	return {
		Name = "Communitas",
		Description = "Creates continents and islands, with climate based on elevation and wind. Includes custom game setup options.",
		IsAdvancedMap = 0,
		SupportsMultiplayer = true,
		IconIndex = 5,

Or are you offering to make a translation for us? I believe(?) we could possibly make the database edits within the lua.

In the function shown: GetMapScriptInfo, if we replace the hardcoded names with tags such as :TXT_KEY_MAP_COMMUNITAS & TXT_KEY_MAP_COMMUNITAS_HELP. Then we can assign values to those tags and have different language values automatically assigned to them.

I will experiment with it now.

Hmm...

Not working the way I expected.

Perhaps the sql that updates the tags for this modded map is not executed until after the map is selected and the game is started.
Other vanilla maps use TXT_KEY tags and localized text all the time, they must load that text at an earlier time than user mods.
That's a real shame.:cry:

This is working for me:

Spoiler :

EDIT: Code for current version in the next post.

My Spanish will have to be fixed. Also, does anyone actually know how Locale.GetCurrentLanguage() works, so we can use the language code instead of the display name?

It defaults to English of course.

Updated for newest version, still need someone to check my Spanish though...

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Localization
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if Locale.GetCurrentLanguage().DisplayName == "Español" then
	-- Spanish/Español
		COMMUNITAS_NAME_TXT = ("Communitas")
		COMMUNITAS_DESCRIPTION_TXT = ("Crea continentes e islas, con climas basadas en la elevación y el viento. Incluye opciones de configuración para los juegos personalizados.")
		COMMUNITAS_PLAYERS_START_TXT = ("Ubicaciones de inicio")
		COMMUNITAS_CONTINENTS_TXT = ("Continentes - dondequiera")
		COMMUNITAS_TERRA_TXT = ("Terra - el continente más extenso")
		COMMUNITAS_OCEAN_RIFT_TXT = ("Rifts oceánicos")
		COMMUNITAS_PACIFIC_ATLANTIC_TXT = ("El Pacífico y el Atlántico")
		COMMUNITAS_ATLANTIC_TXT = ("2 Atlánticos")
		COMMUNITAS_PACIFIC_TXT = ("2 Pacíficos")
		COMMUNITAS_2RANDOM_TXT = ("2 al azar")
		COMMUNITAS_1RANDOM_TXT = ("1 al azar")
		COMMUNITAS_NO_RIFT_TXT = ("Ningunos")
		COMMUNITAS_RIFT_WIDTH_TXT = ("Ancho de rifts")
		COMMUNITAS_NARROW_RIFT_TXT = ("Angosto")
		COMMUNITAS_STANDARD_RIFT_TXT = ("Estándar")
		COMMUNITAS_WIDE_RIFT_TXT = ("Amplio")
else	
	-- English/English
		COMMUNITAS_NAME_TXT = ("Communitas")
		COMMUNITAS_DESCRIPTION_TXT = ("Creates continents and islands, with climate based on elevation and wind. Includes custom game setup options.")
		COMMUNITAS_PLAYERS_START_TXT = ("Players Start")
		COMMUNITAS_CONTINENTS_TXT = ("Continents - Everywhere")
		COMMUNITAS_TERRA_TXT = ("Terra - Largest Continent")
		COMMUNITAS_OCEAN_RIFT_TXT = ("Ocean Rifts")
		COMMUNITAS_PACIFIC_ATLANTIC_TXT = ("Pacific and Atlantic")
		COMMUNITAS_ATLANTIC_TXT = ("2 Atlantic")
		COMMUNITAS_PACIFIC_TXT = ("2 Pacific")
		COMMUNITAS_2RANDOM_TXT = ("2 Random")
		COMMUNITAS_1RANDOM_TXT = ("1 Random")
		COMMUNITAS_NO_RIFT_TXT = ("None")
		COMMUNITAS_RIFT_WIDTH_TXT = ("Rift Width")
		COMMUNITAS_NARROW_RIFT_TXT = ("Narrow")
		COMMUNITAS_STANDARD_RIFT_TXT = ("Standard")
		COMMUNITAS_WIDE_RIFT_TXT = ("Wide")
end

function GetMapScriptInfo()
	local world_age, temperature, rainfall, sea_level, resources = GetCoreMapOptions()
	return {
		Name = COMMUNITAS_NAME_TXT,
		Description = COMMUNITAS_DESCRIPTION_TXT,
		IsAdvancedMap = 0,
		SupportsMultiplayer = true,
		IconIndex = 5,
		SortIndex = -999,
		CustomOptions = {
			world_age,
			temperature,
			rainfall, 
			sea_level,
			resources,
			{
                Name = COMMUNITAS_PLAYERS_START_TXT,
                Values = {
                    COMMUNITAS_CONTINENTS_TXT,
                    COMMUNITAS_TERRA_TXT
                },
                DefaultValue = 1,
                SortPriority = 1,
            },
			{
                Name = COMMUNITAS_OCEAN_RIFT_TXT,
                Values = {
                    COMMUNITAS_PACIFIC_ATLANTIC_TXT,
                    COMMUNITAS_ATLANTIC_TXT,
                    COMMUNITAS_PACIFIC_TXT,
                    COMMUNITAS_2RANDOM_TXT,
                    COMMUNITAS_1RANDOM_TXT,
                    COMMUNITAS_NO_RIFT_TXT
                },
                DefaultValue = 1,
                SortPriority = 2,
            },
			{
                Name = COMMUNITAS_RIFT_WIDTH_TXT,
                Values = {
                    COMMUNITAS_NARROW_RIFT_TXT,
                    COMMUNITAS_STANDARD_RIFT_TXT,
                    COMMUNITAS_WIDE_RIFT_TXT
                },
                DefaultValue = 2,
                SortPriority = 3,
            },
		},
	}
end

Should we use "Empezar en" instead of "Ubicaciones de inicio" (does "Empezar en" even make sense)? "Ubicaciones de inicio" is too long (on my computer at leasr, it overlaps the options).

@sukritact

Yes, that method works because all the text is inside the lua file itself.

The method I tried was to call the text with TXT_KEY tags from an outside file, the same way the vanilla maps do, such as Donut.lua.

That map script uses TXT_KEY_MAP_DONUT as the 'Name' and calls the actual displayed text from CIV5GameTextInfos_FrontEndScreens.xml to give "Donut". This way all the localized text gets changed along with the rest of the text based on the language table of the user.

My intention was to remove the code from unintentional changes made by users that add new languages. If the user only has to worry about editing a xml/sql file and not see, and perhaps be confused by, the lua code. So we have Communitas.lua * separate language files for each new language added: Spanish.sql, Japanese.sql etc.

But since your method works and is very easy to see what needs to change, let's go with that.:goodjob:

So what is the "DisplayName" for Japanese?

The DisplayName for Japanese should be 日本語. Also, "Japan" (as in the country) is 日本.
Nihongo and Nihon respectively in latin characters.

In case you lack the required language on your computer to render these characters, they are unicode code points 26085, 26412, 35486.

I am currently trying to translate GEM in french (I don't have BNW for now.... will come soon), but I can't manage to make it work. All the text that I already translated keeps being displayed in english. That is a problem since french have a very different syntax compared to english, so I would like to test that my translations does fit well in-game before uploading it.

PS: I plan to translate civup too, and for a small "thank you, dude!", I will be glad to work on the cep french translation ^^

edit: after some tries, I realize that civup texts are correctly displayed (ie: displaying my translation), but gem texts keep being in english. where am I wrong?

@sukritact
That's a good discovery with Locale.GetCurrentLanguage(). It's the only way we can localize text in a map, since maps must be self-contained within a lua file. I'll add it to the project.

@pharaonkheops
I do not know why GEM might not work. No one has tried to translate it before. I am currently focused on the BNW version of the project. I'm planning machine translation for basics, then humans can adjust any mistakes with the automatic process.

Back
Top Bottom