Treasure Chest Wackiness

Sarisin

Deity
Playing as Rhoanna/Hippus on a huge Fantasy Realm Map.

See the attached pic for the following on Treasure Chests:

1. The first one appeared on the small island and I thought, "Great, there's a Treasure Chest I will never get."

2. A few lairs explored later, the second one appeared above the first on the same island. :mad: So, that's two Treasure Chests pretty much lost.

Wait it gets better...

3. Incredibly the very next lair I explored gave me, you guessed it...A Treasure Chest. Here's the wacky/buggy thing - it was placed on one of the two Treasure Chests I already had on that damn island. Can you imagine the odds of THAT happening? I mean how many tiles are there something could be placed on a Huge map, and this Treasure Chest overlays one of the two I already have!!!

4. Finally, and this came up in another thread, one of the two/three Treasure Chests disappeared and it looks like I have only one Treasure Chest on the island. Again, I will ask: What makes a Treasure Chest disappear? It is pretty clear no units made it out to the island to mess with the chests - except maybe a barb Griffon? Do these Treasure Chests have a shelf life where they can actually expire if you don't get to them after a set number of turns? If so, how long does this 'quest' last before your Treasure Chest vanishes?

PS. I wish these Treasure Chests were, in fact, loaded with Treasure. You go sometimes to great lengths to get to one only to find, it disappeared, it is empty or gives you 24 Gold. How about making them worth the quest/effort?;)

rofl...no idea how that happened...but epic win nonetheless...well...kinda^^

PS. I wish these Treasure Chests were, in fact, loaded with Treasure. You go sometimes to great lengths to get to one only to find, it disappeared, it is empty or gives you 24 Gold. How about making them worth the quest/effort?;)

You mean like in the other thread where the person said they got something like 3 or 4 end game techs? Sounds pretty worthwhile to me. You just got stuck with a bad roll.

My treasure chests have all been worth what little effort I put into getting them. I simply had to wait until I had ships that could get me there.

I am curious about the disappearing chests though. I left some of mine for quite a long time and they stayed. I wonder if there is something happening that affects the tiles that is causing them to disappear.

Capture a flying animal early in the game for a unit that can fly over the ocean to grab up any Jade Torcs that are waiting for you. :)

One of the neat things to go with that is the fact that the griffins can take a pair of +1 movement promotions and fly 4 tiles per turn to take care of any business needs you have.

I haven't built a ship except to protect Fishing Boats in about 3 games now.

How about making a treasure chest appear in an enemies city? and you had to take the city ot get it... but the reward would be much higher?

But aren't chests invisible to prevent other people from popping them and invisibility does not work in cities right?

Capture a flying animal early in the game for a unit that can fly over the ocean to grab up any Jade Torcs that are waiting for you. :)

One of the neat things to go with that is the fact that the griffins can take a pair of +1 movement promotions and fly 4 tiles per turn to take care of any business needs you have.

I haven't built a ship except to protect Fishing Boats in about 3 games now.

That is a good idea I didn't think of - I do have a captured Griffon. It will be tough getting it to the Treasure Chest, though, as the map is swarming with barb units.

Again, with one or two Treasure Chests gone and only one left on that island I am wondering if it is worth the effort? Maybe it will disappear before I get there, but one is hanging around which really makes me wonder why the other(s) vanished.:confused:

Grabbing island treasure chests and sunken ships is the main use for Water Walking in my experience.

Has anyone noticed that if you place multiple units on a Chest, group select them and then click "Open Chest" that each unit in the stack gets its own treasure? I've gotten 2 Salves and a Rod of Winds, as well as other cool combos.

I'm guessing that's an exploit?

Don't know about shelf life, but I've also had a Chest disappear on me. It had spawned down near a corner of the map just outside the borders of a Doviello city - actually causing me to meet them eons before I should have! When I was in a position to send someone after it later in the game, I noticed it was gone; but also that their borders had popped over where the chest had sat ... maybe they can't exist within a rival civ's culture? I don't think I had OB with them at the time.

I note the borders to the NW, have they expanded over the top half of the isle?

Don't know about shelf life, but I've also had a Chest disappear on me. It had spawned down near a corner of the map just outside the borders of a Doviello city - actually causing me to meet them eons before I should have! When I was in a position to send someone after it later in the game, I noticed it was gone; but also that their borders had popped over where the chest had sat ... maybe they can't exist within a rival civ's culture? I don't think I had OB with them at the time.

I note the borders to the NW, have they expanded over the top half of the isle?

No, they have not. The borders are the same some 200 turns later. That chest is still sitting there, however one (or two) vanished.

Grabbing island treasure chests and sunken ships is the main use for Water Walking in my experience.

I agree, but getting Water Walking depends a lot on your civ/religion/mana. Again, I am far, far away from this Treasure Chest and getting a flying or water walking unit there would not be easy with the raging barbs on the map now (turn 270/Epic).

Well, I was finally able to get my HN Griffon to that island (also featured in the series Lost) and see what was in the remaining Treasure Chest...

I got.....a Healing Salve! Oh boy.

Also, I was able to get an Ecclesiastic from the nearby Shipwreck with the Griffon. I wondered how that Ecclesiastic was able to swim from the shipwreck to shore, but happy because I thought I would be the first to found Empyrean. Um, no. The Ecclesiastic was quickly picked off by a barb Lizardman as soon as he made it to shore!:(

Too bad that precious Healing Salve can't help a dead unit.;)

Has anyone noticed that if you place multiple units on a Chest, group select them and then click "Open Chest" that each unit in the stack gets its own treasure? I've gotten 2 Salves and a Rod of Winds, as well as other cool combos.

I'm guessing that's an exploit?

:eek: Exploit here I come!

Looks like that it's already going to be patched:lol:.
3. I need to test the explores/open chests with multiple units selected to make sure they work correctly.

Just a quick note, I think Deis Diei (or however the hell you spell it) reveals enemy treasure chests in your lands. I just noticed that I had a Basium treasure chest in my land and I captured and opened it with a unit.

Top Bottom