Trenches

Undertaker798

I studied on killin' you!
Maybe you could order your workers to construct trenches, then that provides a bonus to certain units, such as archers or musketmen.
I think this would be pretty cool, even though there would be an AI stupidity of them building a trench on every square!!

How would that differ from a from a fortress or barricade?

hmm, i like the idea of trenches especially when you first research riflemen :crazyeye:

:goodjob: nice idea (although a bit ripped off from el justo :lol: )

I had a similar idea while playing Civ3 once. Annoyed that I couldn't afford to mount a static defence to protect my borders (I was trying to rebuild my border cities after a huge pillaging sesh by the AI), I had to be far more aggressive than I could afford to be just to keep my workers safe.

My mind went into "what-if" mode and I thought how cool it would be to add the Entrenchment ability to Riflemen and later infantry units.

The way I saw this working was that Workers could be set to build Entrenchments in any square. These could then be occupied by Riflemen or Infantry, who when Fortified would defend not only their square, but also adjacent squares with Entrenchments in them. So you could seal off a long border using only a quarter of the units it would otherwise require.

Entrenchments would remove any terrain improvements, and they would be very worker-intensive to build. So you wouldn't want to whack them around your core cities, nor would you put them up unless the cost of defending the terrain was too great.

RichardMNixon said:
How would that differ from a from a fortress or barricade?

Not really as you could see a fort, not if your enemy just seemed to pop up out of nowhere. Thats why i think trenches are :goodjob:

Undertaker798 said:
Maybe you could order your workers to construct trenches, then that provides a bonus to certain units, such as archers or musketmen.
I think this would be pretty cool, even though there would be an AI stupidity of them building a trench on every square!!

A trench would help a rifle unit, but an actual archer it would provide a loss. They need high ground.

Thing is it would be too complicated. Already in C3C there are four different ways to improve the defensive power of a unit sitting on a square - Fortress, Barricade, Radar tower and actually Fortifying the unit. Adding a fifth would complicate matters without adding any new decisions to be made. Consider the situation in C3C: shall I fortify the unit? Yes, if he's staying there's no reason not to. Shall I build a fortress? Of course, if my workers aren't needed more urgently elsewhere. Shall I build a barricade? Yes, with the same small caveat. Shall I cover the area with a radar tower? Yes, if I have a spare worker (or a hundred by this stage of the game). Of these four decisions, only one has any notable impact on the course of the game - and that impact is limited to losing a single worker that's of relatively little use in a defensive situation.

A fifth option would similarly be a no-brainer, unless there was some major disadvantage to it (GPT, reputation hit, unusable land), and I can't say I see a simple way to implement such a disadvantage.

Perhaps if all military works required upkeep - not in gold, but resources - it would work. You could be shown the cost of fortresses, etc by the Domestic advisor and choose how many shields to divert from each city's production. In case of a shortfall, your least-used fortresses would start to disappear. You could also choose to abandon a particular fortress if you wanted to control which ones go.

A rep hit with the nations whose borders you're fortifying could work; you'd have to choose between trying to rebuild the relationship and being safe. But personally I reckon it's too much work for too little reward.

Trenches can work as rivers' defence bonus on units behind them.
So you can built some line of defences just behind your borders.
But trenches must be build between squares like rivers, not just on it. As you can imagine there will be a square left between all trences. It is the "no man's land". Trenches can be used as a network of supply and roads for military (but only military) units. Crossing an enemy trench whenever it is empty or occupied must be cost a full movement action.

Hmm... What about mine fields?...

I think that this is more or less what fortifying the unit is supposed to do. Also, in Civ IV, fortifying adds more to your defensive bonus each turn, up to a certain level. This could be taken to be deepening and reinforcing your trenches.

Barbed-wire upgrade, minefield upgrade, anti-tank field upgrade, stationary artillary regiment upgrade, underground tunnel upgrade, concrete wall upgrade, bunker upgrade...

what do you think it reprisents when you fortify a unit or build a fortress?

Utherhimo said:
basically circle up the wagons finding the best cover etc

but you've got a whole year to do it... they may have changed this recently but canadian doctrine says if you stop moving for 15 minutes start digging

The way i see it is that if u do have trenches then the units in them if defended for a long time they should be penalized; maybe be at half health because of disease like trenchfoot etc.

I found fortifying a unit on every single square on the borders of my territory worked good, so the trenches would be good defence for that aswell.

Top Bottom