Troop Movement Hampered by Religious Units Everywhere

Atwork

Immortal
During a war I fought last night, I became quite annoyed that my troop movements were being severely hampered by the presence of missionaries around one of my cities. It made it very difficult to establish my defensive positions.

IMO, religious units should operate on their own level so that they cannot interfere with the movement of military units. There should be no reason why a troop movement would ever be prevented by the presence of a missionary or apostle.

That said, I enjoy the religious combat. I have a formation of 5 Apostles intercepting missionaries etc. as quickly as possible. It's just, I'm finding the waves of missionaries / apostles are quite problematic because they operate on the same plane as military units.

They really need to have 5 layers of units

Air
Military
Religious
Civilian (builder, settler, support, GP)
Trader

Where the different layers never affect each other Unless the Military unit is at war with the civilian/trader/religious units ...then it kills/blocks them.

This way you can't stop a city being converted but surrounding it with builders/scouts (instead you would have to surround it with scouts and declare war or surround it with Apostles that could get killed)

The plus side is you can still just declare war on those religious units and move through (slowly clearing that religion out from the surrounding area)

And they also need more advanced religious units for later in the game (basically more expensive more powerful ones)

That's only a plus of it is a plus. If I were to declare war on this particular civ, I would be upsetting some friends, fighting two wars on two fronts, risking two trade routes, and ending one trade deal.

You could spam out some of your own Apostles and Inquisitors and clear them out without even having to declare war (unless those religious units happen to be the same religion as you, but then why are they hanging around your cities?).

It's a serious pain. The work they did to reduce troop bottlenecks with Corps and Armies is completely undone by religious unit spam.

There's no way to keep them out (they ignore Open Borders requirements), and no way to get the AI civilizations to stop except declaring war. They aren't even blocked by military units the way they were in Civ V. You can ask the AI to stop, but so far for me while they readily agree, they always seem to break the promise on the very next turn.

You could spam out some of your own Apostles and Inquisitors and clear them out without even having to declare war (unless those religious units happen to be the same religion as you, but then why are they hanging around your cities?).
Unfortunately, if there are already a lot of religious units in your territory, they will just destroy your own religious units as you buy them, so you'll have to buy a ton to have a chance.

Last edited:
The plus side is you can still just declare war on those religious units and move through (slowly clearing that religion out from the surrounding area)

And they also need more advanced religious units for later in the game (basically more expensive more powerful ones)

Or just some way to spend all that extra faith on removal scheme for others religious units. I usually have quite a bit of faith when not playing the religion game. and the units still get in the way.

Many of the missionaries hanging around are the same religion as me, so they can't be destroyed.

And if you read the OP, I do have a troop of apostles that has been fairly adequate and widdling down waves of opposing religions.

But, the fundamental issue remains the same. Troop movements are disrupted by religious missionaries and apostles. It's frustrating and utterly preposterous.

I had to declare war on Russia yesterday because they had a worker just sitting in a canal between my borders and the Norwegian capital, completely blocking my ships from advancing. Since I had made peace with Russia five turns earlier, it delayed my new world conquests by 5 turns. At the same time, his artist army was blocking my redcoats further up the continent.

This is an issue from v that's never been fixed, and should be.

They really need to have 5 layers of units

Air
Military
Religious
Civilian (builder, settler, support, GP)
Trader

Where the different layers never affect each other Unless the Military unit is at war with the civilian/trader/religious units ...then it kills/blocks them.

This way you can't stop a city being converted but surrounding it with builders/scouts (instead you would have to surround it with scouts and declare war or surround it with Apostles that could get killed)

I would have support on a different level to civilians/GP. I want a great general and a siege tower on the same tile

Civilian units are already on a different layer. What's needed is to remove the rule preventing units from different civilizations that are not at war from making use of these layers and sharing tiles.

I understand that it would create weird edge cases in the event of war, but this is a serious problem in the game.

Religious spam really needs to be addressed. There is no way the AI is making that much Faith, and it just makes that aspect of the game painfully easy to get wrong. Defending against an army is one thing, but you basically have one unit to defend faith, and the AI tends to send a dozen missionaries.

Yup, 1UPT. It remains the only serious mar to the Civ game. Why they didn't get rid of it in favor of, say, the elegant Endless Legends solution, is beyond me. Even Jon Shafer confessed in the end that 1UPT was likely a "design mistake". That's to his credit.

This issue can and should be resolved without returning to SODs. I happen to prefer C6's relaxed 1 UPT over the old SODs.

AI overall seems very concerned with religion , even in the late game. It's possibly a few of them have it flagged as a grand strategy VC, but every civ with their own religion were sending thir religous units to convert my cities. when the religious VC leader is a rump state next to me who happened to convert all my cities and isn't even close to winning, the AI needs to change gears.

I'm thinking rebalncing focus from holy sites and by corollary faith and religious unit production to science , culture and commerce production might help the AI overall

Make religious units more powerful, but more expensive, therefore fewer will be produced and fewer will be needed. That will reduce the visual appearance of spam. Also, religious units should operate on their own layer, or the 'spiritual plane.'

This should be fairly easy to make happen, considering the religious layer already exists when religious units are selected. A reformed religious layer would simply ignore the presence of military units; and in fact military units could disappear or made to look transparent when the religious layer is active.

Agreed. Religious units can all burn in hell. God I just hate them.

On the topic of planes of units. I really hope they add in an orbital layer, like in Beyond Earth. With satellites etc. That can act as spies, give constant field of view around specific large areas of land, provide culture/science boosts (internet/telecoms etc)

Would make the late game more interesting.

Top Bottom