Troops on my border?

Rathelon

Prince
This happened in my last two games. I had an AI come to me with the complaint that I had a lot of troops on their border.

Thing was, in both cases, the complainant wasnt even on my continent. And in the second instance, I had only met that particular AI through one of his wandering ships - I didnt even know where his territory was yet.

In the first case, it was France and his nearest cities were across a 4-5 hex wide ocean from the edge of my territory. I had no units on his land mass, nor along my shoreline across from him.

In the second case, it was Persia and I didnt even know where his territory was at the time. I later discovered where he was with my exploring caravels, and he was pretty much on the other side of the world from me - again, on a land mass where I had no units.

:confused:

It seems that AI treats "your troops on their border" when 1 or 2 of your units comes to their unit.

Bug for sure.

I don't know if this is the case with you, but I got this once when I was "massing" troops on the border of a city-state ALLIED with a rival Civ.

As avl8 says, the AI treats anything in its line of sight as its borders. This of course means that if it has a scout wandering through your territory, it will complain about how close your troops are to its borders, please remove them (from your own territory!)

Although I have found that if you have open borders with the AI it may be more lenient about this warning, it's still frustrating that it can't tell the difference between borders and LoS

The coding for this seems to have been written by the summer intern temp help in the mailroom.

A few games ago, Rammy griped that I had troops near his border when my 3 early warriors were at least 10 tiles away and about 4 turns from a barb camp CS mission.

I knew what his warning meant so I turned my warriors around and in a couple turns he had build his new city very close to me! I soon added two horsemen and then two more and with my warriors I sent Rammy to heaven.

LOL earlier in that game he complained when I swiped a worker from a CS (I rarely do so but since I could tell that I could warrior rush his capital (at least 10 turns prior to his "near my borders" gripe and only scouting him with 1 warrior) I decided to get something with my warriors. He complained about my conquest of Wu..ROFL I was playing as Wu and at war with the CS for only 1 turn while swiping his worker and exiting.

LOL in last night's Immortal India game. I pounded Sully, and took a nice peace deal to heal up and keep his couple of remaining cities as a buffer for a while between me and the rest of the pangaea whom I didn't want to fight just yet. It didn't take him long to gripe about me settling near his borders. (I'd only settled one new city all game and had conquered my new lands).

LOL late in last night's game..rather than taking Rome, I made peace so I could play on the 70 turns or so to get a cultural victory (never having done so and wanting to see what it looked like) I'd left Augustas with only Rome and the turn after peace he complained about me settling near his borders!!! That earned him a nuke later, turning Rome into a nice glowing shade. (I love Civ5 graphics)

@ Firaxis...these idiotic AI diplo-comments that are extremely out of context are a reason why it is obvious that Civ5 was rushed out the door with a very incomplete QA effort. Hopefully things are better with the new patch.

.. neilkaz ..just ignoring moronic AI mutterings

Top Bottom