Tropico

You're dictator of a carribean island. Each little citizen has his/her own needs, wants, family, and political views. You try to stay in power as long as you can, attract tourists, build industry, manage foreign relations with USSR and USA, keep the people happy with a wide range of buildings, and maybe stash some money in your swiss bank account. :D

All hail the Dictator! :king:

That sounds unbearably awesome.

Its a great game, I got it on a demo disc that allowed you to play on one island, but indefinity..

by the time I bought the acutal game I discovered there wasn't much more too it!

Well, this is disturbing. About a year ago I had to restore my computer and I backed up a few of my games. A specific Tropico Island being one of them. As it was the furthest I had been able to stay in power... I believe I had it saved at the year 2020ish. (You start out in 1950) I go to load up my big island and I find out I had actually backed up the start position. :cry:

I can't provide any good screenshots now after all. But here is what most islands look like in the start. (I will start a new island this week and see how far I can get.) This really sucks. My last large island (only one where I had managed to get most of the island full) was awesome. I had reloaded it about 40 times though. :D

Here is the new island I plan on making my main game.

Attachments

• Tropico1.JPG
    Tropico1.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 130
I loved this game. I have the Mucho Macho edition.

I even have the soundtrack. I play it during Just Cause because it's music sucks.

Do you rush to tourism?

Not usually. (It doesn't offer many jobs.) I usually provide resource-gathering work and housing first then begin to focus on industry and tourism. Early I like to make money from:

Cash crops (Tobacco/Coffee/Bananas)
Mining -Jewelry
Lumber - Furniture

Around the time I start building Furniture shops, Jewelry makers, Cannery, etc. I start planning out a large section for tourism. (I usually spot this place once I get my island.) In the island I posted above I am going to put the tourism around my palace. Vina Del Mar will be the center of the tourist section of the island. I may or may not add more to the eastern corner of the island.

I love Tropico! I usually get my industry going before I build tourism. I like to have a lot of my town done so I know where the polluted areas and local areas will be before placing a hotel.

I think rushing was my main problem. I tried to do everything too soon and I kept on getting complaints from all the different groups, so I rushed many things and my island ended up becoming a dump.

I'm another fan of Tropico! Haven't played it in a long time but used to quite a bit. Probably my favorite plan was to be a Communist dictator, but I could never really be entirely Communist since without some wage disparity no one would ever get an education or take the more challenging jobs (doctor, bureaucrat, etc.).

It's worth noting that you automatically lose when the US or USSR invade you (I believe it may only be the US that will actually bother doing so - you're too far away for the USSR to care that much). So instead of your army of maybe a dozen people fighting hundreds of US Marines, you flee the island on a rather shoddy boat before the actual invasion. But you can get American or Soviet military bases on the island, which provides a bit of income and, if it's Soviet, prevents the Americans from invading. On the other hand, if you get an American one and then go entirely pro-Soviet in foreign policy, they're more likely to take over than if they didn't have a base on the island.

There also can be uprisings, when the mass populace rises up in revolt. They're even worse than coup d'états, as they take much longer to put down and kill much more than just military men. I've survived four or five coups in a game, but uprisings are just dreadful.

I used to love this game and its music. I have just re-installed it on my laptop fingers crossed it will work. I loved triggering uprisings, coups and rebellions to test my military and if I wasn't doing that I was sucking up to the US and building factories like crazy. Good times.

Around the time I start building Furniture shops, Jewelry makers, Cannery, etc.

Never bothered! After setting up the basic industries, I then turned to tourism!

Not usually. (It doesn't offer many jobs.) I usually provide resource-gathering work and housing first then begin to focus on industry and tourism. Early I like to make money from:

Cash crops (Tobacco/Coffee/Bananas)
Mining -Jewelry
Lumber - Furniture

Around the time I start building Furniture shops, Jewelry makers, Cannery, etc. I start planning out a large section for tourism. (I usually spot this place once I get my island.) In the island I posted above I am going to put the tourism around my palace. Vina Del Mar will be the center of the tourist section of the island. I may or may not add more to the eastern corner of the island.

Furniture? Is that something that comes with the expansion pack?

I don't think so.. The x=pack was very pointless :(

Got Tropico, it's good. Tropico 2 sucks. You wouldn't think they could mess up adding pirates, but they found a way to do it. You don't even get any control over pirate battles. And the production tree is just stupid. Just getting your pirates equipped with swords is a PITA. Then, unlike Tropico where each person had a faction, job, age and family history, your captives are pretty much interchangeable.

This game was fun... same engine as Railroad Tycoon 2 if I recall.

Top Bottom