Truffles?

yep... man i just had this pulled pork sandwich the other day and it was covered in this truffle sauce, so damn good, but i couldnt help but think just how ironic it was, pig sniffs out truffles then gets killed and covered in truffle sauce, yum! Anyway back on topic, if theyre going to put in truffles they should also put in pigs and if you have both maybe you could some kind of addition to your truffle resource

Man this has made me hungry.

Until I googled and found that pigs were used to dig out truffles, and that truffles are delicious but expensive (?), I had no idea why [people speculate] it's a lux in G&K.

Until I googled and found that pigs were used to dig out truffles, and that truffles are delicious but expensive (?), I had no idea why [people speculate] it's a lux in G&K.

Screenshots with the word Truffle? Its ok I am not up to date on a lot of things either :lol:

I'd love to see techs reveal luxury resources, especially in the modern era.

Examples:
Engineering enables ice as a luxury item (only found in tundra/arctic areas), obsolete with refrigeration
Metallurgy reveals tin
Archaeology reveals artifacts
Steam power reveals cement

I'd love to see techs reveal luxury resources, especially in the modern era.

Examples:
Engineering enables ice as a luxury item (only found in tundra/arctic areas), obsolete with refrigeration
Metallurgy reveals tin
Archaeology reveals artifacts
Steam power reveals cement

I think artifacts kinda coincide with the idea of exploring ruins and cement and tin i would classify as bonus resources with a bonus to production, ice though, i like it, ice would give people a reason to want to settle arctic areas

Or create a new policy, drug legalization which would provide a happiness bonus to certain resources, ie. hemp.
I would say that it would probably fit best in the freedom tree.

This would never be allowed in Civilization 5. Civilization 6, maybe.

CiV is rated E10, and if I recall correctly, I don't believe illicit drug references are allowed in anything below Teen.

Copper should be a strategic resource early game (representing Copper Age weaponry). To be honest since an entire Age of mankind is called 'The Copper Age' i havent understood why it was removed from Civ up until now, especially as Copper is emerging again to be one of the most important metals on the planet. I would love to see it as a strategic resource in the early game, then being unimportant in the midgame and emerging again in the late game. It would make a very interesting mechanic.

As far as Truffles go, they don't feel worthy of a spot in Civ to me. I know they were a delicacy in middle-age europe but I feel Tobacco has had a much more widespread impact. Tobacco has been one of the most heavily traded resources since the Colonial period through to the modern day.. Also Tobacco as a Central America/ Carribean resource would represent a region that hasn't gotten as much attention in the game yet. Tea would be another better alternative. Tea was the reason behind the search for the North West Passage, the East India Trading Company, etc Both resource were FAR more impactful on the world then the Truffle.

I like the mercantile states providing manufactured goodies (porcelain and Jewelry), seems like a cute way to make them relevant to the game. Tullips on the other hand seem like a cheap cop-out to give the Netherlands a means to stay important to other Civs. The tullip has little value as a trade resource, it can't be eaten or manufactured. We're obviously going to keep the Netherlands alive as they continue to supply us with a Tullip and the happiness bonus that comes with it but it doesnt make any realistic sense.

To be honest since an entire Age of mankind is called 'The Copper Age' i havent understood why it was removed from Civ up until now, especially as Copper is emerging again to be one of the most important metals on the planet.

Copper was also one of the most common metals on the planet. It's also relatively soft. It's been far more important as a decorative metal and a mental to make coins than for weapons. It's probably been better as an electric conductor than to make weapons.

However, if you mix it with Tin (which is rare) to make Bronze, it becomes very good for weapons.

ive always kind of liked the idea of combining resources in game, copper is in the game so put in tin and if you have both than you can make bronze units, it could be done with many different units and buildings, it might make things kind of complicated however

Copper was also one of the most common metals on the planet. It's also relatively soft. It's been far more important as a decorative metal and a mental to make coins than for weapons. It's probably been better as an electric conductor than to make weapons.

However, if you mix it with Tin (which is rare) to make Bronze, it becomes very good for weapons.

Exactly Copper was a huge early resource, before man discovered metallurgy and could make Bronze it was the hardest craftable metal. Iron of course came much later as smithing developed.

It of course was followed by the Bronze Age, although I'm not sure if they could reflect the transition to Bronze without it becoming too complex.. You'd have to acquire quantities of both metals, have some means of converting selected amounts over and then to produce the units..

I definitely think there should be an early tier of copper-weapon units. If we can have units definited by WW1 then we can have units defined by a thousand year age.

The point, though, is that copper isn't a strategic resource in the same way the uranium is. It's not scarce in the slightest. You might as well make cows a strategic resource for the leather for shoes worn by soldiers. Certainly, timber for ships is a far better candidate. England actually had to use their influence to secure timber fields (in Scandinavia) and it was part of Canada's main strategic value.

I'm wondering if Copper might be similar to Marble (the only resource of it's type, in a way). Like, maybe it'll just be a generic resource like Stone, or maybe a luxury like Marble, but also giving +25% military production in a nearby city.

I think it's interesting that Marble has this, and yet it's a really odd case. I think it would make a certain degree of sense for Copper to do for military what Marble does for wonders

This is a fantastic idea!!! Pretty shameful that this wasn't included from the start tbh - fair enough, like marble, it's down to luck/the map on whether you get this resource within your empire but that is and always has been part of the beauty of Civ isn't it?

Give this man a job Firaxis :)

I am utterly shocked how many people on here have never even *heard* of truffles. I can understand never having tried them (they are indeed very expensive), but that so many people never having heard of them just mystifies me.

timber ought to be a resource, a byproduct of lumber mills

Actually was thinking about this last night, would be a strategic resource for Ships but Lumber Mills would have to sacrifice a hammer for the resource.

Would be great if they brought back from IV forests growing back making Timber more scarce as a resource which can be gone(for a time) if over worked.

Heck for Micro play Firaxis could allow Manufactured resources i.e. Steel etc. Will never happen but one can dream.

I am utterly shocked how many people on here have never even *heard* of truffles. I can understand never having tried them (they are indeed very expensive), but that so many people never having heard of them just mystifies me.

Different people, different countries, different cultures ;).

Copper should be a strategic resource early game (representing Copper Age weaponry). To be honest since an entire Age of mankind is called 'The Copper Age' i havent understood why it was removed from Civ up until now, especially as Copper is emerging again to be one of the most important metals on the planet. I would love to see it as a strategic resource in the early game, then being unimportant in the midgame and emerging again in the late game. It would make a very interesting mechanic.

As far as Truffles go, they don't feel worthy of a spot in Civ to me. I know they were a delicacy in middle-age europe but I feel Tobacco has had a much more widespread impact. Tobacco has been one of the most heavily traded resources since the Colonial period through to the modern day.. Also Tobacco as a Central America/ Carribean resource would represent a region that hasn't gotten as much attention in the game yet. Tea would be another better alternative. Tea was the reason behind the search for the North West Passage, the East India Trading Company, etc Both resource were FAR more impactful on the world then the Truffle.

I like the mercantile states providing manufactured goodies (porcelain and Jewelry), seems like a cute way to make them relevant to the game. Tullips on the other hand seem like a cheap cop-out to give the Netherlands a means to stay important to other Civs. The tullip has little value as a trade resource, it can't be eaten or manufactured. We're obviously going to keep the Netherlands alive as they continue to supply us with a Tullip and the happiness bonus that comes with it but it doesnt make any realistic sense.

Tobacco is not going to make it into the game as it will affect the Rating of the game in some countries.

The global trade in flowers is about $10 billion per year. If you think that's little value, can I have some of your spare change please?

I wont be able to discuss it in nearly as much depth as some others on here might be able to, but tulips were involved in one of the first financial "bubbles" as well, they have a very interesting quirky place in economic history.

Tobacco is not going to make it into the game as it will affect the Rating of the game in some countries.

The global trade in flowers is about $10 billion per year. If you think that's little value, can I have some of your spare change please?

It already has a rating for drug reference, so that wouldn't change it, and besides I would imagine most people who use this game would not be bothered by a higher rating. Even if users need parental approval, I can not fathom a parent that would look at the cover and rating and deny their child this game based on a drug reference.

While I despise tobacco, I think it is one of the more influential luxury items in History and think it should be included in the game.

Honestly how many users on this forum would not have bought it (or parents would forbid it) due to a drug reference?

Top Bottom