Trump tells Tangier Island mayor not to worry about sea-level rise

FriendlyFire

Codex WMDicanious
Tide goes in, 4 meters of coastline go out, you cant explain that
The Deplorables are beyond any logically reasoning classic case of "strangers in their own lands" where the populations culture has been so ingrainned that its like a religon now. The cognitive dissident is mind blowing

Trump tells Tangier Island mayor not to worry about sea-level rise

ALISBURY, Md. — President Trump phoned Tangier Island Mayor James "Ooker" Eskridge Monday after viewing a CNN report about the Virginia island's struggle with rising sea levels.

"He said not to worry about sea-level rise," Eskridge said. "He said, 'Your island has been there for hundreds of years, and I believe your island will be there for hundreds more.'"

During the CNN interview, Eskridge had said he loved Trump as much as he would a family member. When staffers brought the CNN report to Trump's attention, "he said, 'I've just got to talk to that guy,'" the mayor said.

In Monday's call, Eskridge told the president that Tangier Island is "a huge supporter of Donald Trump. ... This is a Trump island; we really love you down here."

The island in the Chesapeake Bay is a Republican stronghold — about 87% of residents voted for Trump in the November 2016 election.

Still, erosion is one of the islanders' main concerns. The island, population about 450, is losing up to 16 feet of coastline a year, scientists say.

Islanders have been advocating for years for construction of a seawall to protect their home; a smaller project — a jetty to protect the harbor's west entrance — is in the works.

"We're taking it a step at a time," Eskridge said Monday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...and-mayor-not-worry-sea-level-rise/394688001/

Reporter's notebook: Visiting the disappearing Tangier Island

It was hard to believe that this lively island is on the brink of non-existence within the next two decades. That's when we saw a 7-year-old girl selling homemade slime (a silly putty like concoction) to raise money to "Save Tangier."

angier Island is losing roughly 15 feet of coastline per year. It is now only 1.3 square miles and is shrinking more and more every day. The residents here are extremely scared that if something isn't done soon, their homes and livelihoods will be washed away by the Chesapeake Bay.

Eighty-seven percent of the island voted for President Trump. It doesn't bother them that he pulled out of the Paris climate agreement.

When I asked people their thoughts on climate change, everyone had the same answer. They said it doesn't matter what's causing it. They are sick of hearing debates about human-caused or natural cycles. They want people to open their eyes and see what's happening to Tangier.
They say at this point the cause is irrelevant -- the water is rising fast, and it's rising now.

"The island disappearing. It's on everybody's mind when they wake up and when they go to bed. It's always in the back of your mind. Sure is, always."

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/09/us/weather-tangier-island/index.html

maybe they're sinking

Either way they are screwed, Poplar island cost 1.4 Billion to fix and was done to prevent the ecological collapse of cheapsake bay. Which was considered cost effective given the crabbing and fishing industries. Its cheaper to let the island of Tangiar disappear and relocate the inhabitants to the mainland.

Its seems only the large rich cities are paying for themselves sea rise mitigation defenses instead of fighting for the small Fed US army of engineers budget. I imagine the cost is only going to increase,

Its just sad to see Trump saying not to worry about the rising sea level to hes supporters

Last edited:
maybe they're sinking

They are sinking, the relative rise in sea level seems to have been happening for some time.

Some nice pics at

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs102-98/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4675185/

"The Southern Chesapeake Bay region, within this “hot spot,” had a higher rate of SLR (4.40 ± 0.086 mm yr−1 from 1955–2007), due to land subsidence (2.101 mm yr−1) due to glacial rebound caused by the Laurentide ice sheet melting4,5, groundwater extraction, as well as after effects of a meteor impact near Cape Charles, VA approximately 35.5 million years ago6, which is still causing local land subsidence7. Glacial rebound is causing a significant portion of local land subsidence, with groundwater pumping being the other major factor. Aquifer-system compaction is causing more than half of local land subsidence, especially near population and agricultural centers. This compaction can account for more than 50% of observed land subsidence rates in the region and even more so near regions where extensive groundwater pumping is occurring, such as near the cities of West Point, Franklin and Norfolk, Virginia8,9. Due to the isolation of Tangier Island from major population and agricultural centers responsible for extensive groundwater pumping, groundwater pumping related subsidence at Tangier Island may be less than 50% of total subsidence reported locally, but it is likely significant."

Pretty sure experts on the matter would know whether or not an Island is sinking. ;)
Appeal to authority!

I, with my intellectual brain, think the island is indeed sinking, I mean, what did they expect when they built a ton of heavy buildings onto that island?

And Trump's actually right, the Island will still be there in a few hundred years, the people who live there will just have to adjust by learning to swim and breathe underwater.

That's not what I thought they meant when they said Trump's support is eroding.

Eighty-seven percent of the island voted for President Trump. It doesn't bother them that he pulled out of the Paris climate agreement.
Loving this. An island full of people in full on denial want measures to protect against the thing that isn't happening.

You made your bed, now swim in it.

Ziggy as I posted above nearly half the relative sea level rise is due to subsidence. Maybe they should get half the funding.

But this also the time to point out that sea level rise will not be consistent as the volume of water increases. Due to Earth's rotation, water will rise faster at the equator than the poles, since the new volume will be affected by the centrifugal effect.

Some of the northern and southern lands will actually see the sea levels go down. If enough ice leaves, that will lessen the net weight of the lands. And that will allow it to rise more easily.

I'm not going to seriously read a usatoday article, though.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-sea-level-rise-not-equal-2016-4
According to a 2013 study in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, some polar areas may see relative sea levels drop by as much as a foot, as this map shows:

78% votes for Trump, for someone who believes that everybody should take care of themselves

and now that philosophy bites back when in need for help for a self inflicted problem:
who in his right mind is going to settle on an island that is max 4 feet higher than sea level ?

If those Tangier people are true to their philosophy they move on, adding another ghost town to the many in the US
and leave the island for the birds and the crabs.

EDIT
The role of a prudent government is to forbid people to settle there

Fifteen feet of shoreline loss per year and US Pres says "no reason to be alarmed!"

Top Bottom