Trying to beat Red Front .......

Yop73

Exams suck
I'm playing the scenario Red Front v1.4 by Captain Nemo.
It is my second try (first one failed miserably) and I'm playing on King level.
I could use some advice by people who already played it and know some hints.

Off we go:
Losses in June:

Brest-Litovsk
Lvov
Kishinev

Nearly my entire army was destroyed, except in the Dagauvpilssector. There, I still have some artillery left.

My plan is to hold the key cities of Perekop and Rostov, then set up a line of defence with the following cities: Voroshilovgrad, Kharkov, Belgorod, Kursk, Orel, Kaluga, and Smolensk.
I don't know yet what line in the Nord, but I'll try to hold as much land as possible.

Losses in July:

Riga
Vilnius
Minsk (Social Pragmatism wonder)
Nikolaev
The old fortress at Brest was captured and the final slaughtered.

Again, heavy losses, especially inflicted by Stukas. Propellants was discovered, and I some cities went into disorder. I'm now going after Mobile Warfare II, for the KV1-tanks. Within 2 turns, the tech will be researched.
I'm now building lots of AA-guns to counter the Luftwaffe-thread.
My line seems to be a good choice.

Losses in August:

Odessa
Petsamo
Zaporozhye
Velikiye Luki
Kherson
Kirovgrad
Dnepropetrovsk
Pskov

Perekop and Kiev under heavy attack. 4 Stukas were killed by the Vitebsk anti-air corps.
65 Soviet regiments lost their lives. Talinn will soon fall. My line gets reïnforced again. I'm now waiting till next turn, to begin constructing my first load of KV-1 heavy tank. I still count on those red-army units to defend my cities.

In the beginning of December, a single battalion of T34 tanks managed to retake Velikiye Luki. The battle in the nord seems to have already been won, because I see almost no nazi soldiers there. Narva also heavely fortified.
The loss of Talinn, Kiev, Stalino and maybe Vitebsk and Perekop is expected next month, but then, KV1's can be build. That'll stop the German advance.

Well, I got the save back to work after a lot of trouble. (check the technical problems forum)
I managed to get everything to function normally, but I'm not sure I set the year right. I've played 9 turns, and the year I set is feb1942. Hope it is right ...

And well, the war in the North was not yet won. I lost the cities of Narva, Luga and Novogrod. And the Germans killed a lot of units in Leningrad with the Karl, but now I managed to kill it. ;)

In the central front, I managed to defend Smolensk successful, and also the city of Kaluga remained Soviet territory. The border is now: Smolensk, Tula, Orel, Kursk, Belgorod.
The city of Kharkov was lost to the Nazi's, so the border now goes from Belogrod to Serafimovitch to Stalingrad to Rostov.

In the South, Perekop held out, and so did Sevastopol.

Against the Finnish, the war did not go well. I lost Viipuri, and Kitela, though my forces just retook the city of Kitela, but those damn Finnish troops are extremely strong during wintertime... :(

This is the report from September until February. ;)

In march, Kitela was lost, but retaken after that. In april it was lost, and my last units in Finland were destroyed ... :(

In the other fronts: massive attacks all over the fronts. I almost lost Rostov. It was down to 1 Red Army units, but the AI didn't took it, and I reïnforced it now with 4 KV-1's and 4 Naval infantery, so it should hold out against the evil Germans, hopefully...

Techs come every turn now, sometimes 2 each turn. Grozny produces 317 trade arrows each turn.

The Germans discover the tech for the "King Tiger" :( .
It now becomes summer again, and the Germans will attack again :( :( :(

May:
It becomes summer again. My shturmovichs come into action. (though not much, because I concentrated on tanks during winter) and kill lots of German units.
Luftwaffe decimated. (hehe :p)

June:
Platoon bridge near Stalingrad. Germans capture Kotelnikovo and also manage to capture Belgorod. :(
Nearly all cities with airports produce Shturmochs.

July:
Massive attacks by the Germans. They manage to kill units, including a stack of engineers. :(
Shturmovichs kill lots of units near Perekop, city is almost saved.

August:
Soviet air patrols notice Minsk is undefended by the foolish Germans, who have all gone to the front. The city is taken by a quick reconnaissance force, consisting of regiment of T-34/85 and 2 Siberian regiments.
A daring attack on Vitebsk managed to empty it, and a regiment of T-34/85 tanks takes the city. If the Germans don't manage to recapture it, I will reïnforce it next turn, but I'm not sure how many troops are still in the area...

Here are some pictures:

The situation near Stalingrad

The situation in the North. (not looking good, isn't it ;) )

The central ?front? ;)

Cities under fire in the North also...

In September, the Germans managed to capture Rostov .... :(
They attacked with almost 30 units, and managed to destroy the 4 KV-1 tanks, fortified, the 4 Naval inf. and the 3 AA-guns in the city, though the city had air-defences and Anti-Tank defense.
Now the road to the Caucasus lay open, and my defence there was very weak.

October: Rush-bought KV-1 tanks in nearly each city in the Caucasus. Reïnforced Stalingrad, because next month, the Germans will likely attack that city :(.
And the Germans did, killing 3 KV-1 tanks (there were 5 in the city), killing nearly every other units, except the AA-guns.
They also liberated Vitebsk. (though with only 1 Hummel guarding the city, so it isn't so bad)

November rush-bought a unit in nearly every city, in preparation for the winter-offensive. Kill a unit in Narva with a Katyushka, supported by Leningrad.
Germans and Soviets are already researching future-techs. :eek:
German attack on Stalingrad doesn't manage to capture the city, so it's winter-time. :D :D

great game :goodjob:

Thanks Sun Tzu.

I played untill march now, and managed to liberate the following cities: Narva, Petsamo, Demyansk, Gomel, Bryansk, Brest-Litovsk, Belgorod, Kharkov and Viroshilovgrad.
A lot of German units were killed during this winter, and I believe I still have 1 month to go . (hehe :D)

There are still a lot of German troops in and near Rostov, I shall try to kill them next month. I'm also attacking Kiev, but only with partizans, so I don't know if I'm gonna make it.

Here are some pictures from february:

I played until November 1943 now, and the following cities were liberated: Viipuri, Kitela, Riga, Talinn, Pskov, Novogrod, Kholm, Dagauvpils, Kiev, Poltava, Stalino and Rostov.

I also managed to kill nearly all the Finnish. The following Finnish territory was ceded: Helsinki (attacked it with 8 Katyushka Rocketlaunchers), Turku, Tampere and Vaasa. During the entire summer, I built 1 Katyushka in Leningrad each month, airlifted one into Leningrad each month, and brought in huge amounts of troops from the central front to defeat the Germans there ones and for all.
Then I went after the Finns, because they were harrassing me each winter, killing tons of units in the North.
When I've conquered Finland entirely, I'll go after Norway.

On the central front, I managed to take Warschau and Bialystok from the Germans.

I'm going to launch an amphibious attack against Odessa next month, and then drive into Roumania, in the hopes of capturing Ploeisti by next summer.

The Yugoslavian rebels in Yugoslavia did nothing????? Is this OK? They didn't even attack 1 city. They just moved around???? :confused:

And my science, well I'm researching Future Technology 12 right now. ;)

Thats not to bad. I think thats about the time I got to Berlin on my fourth game. How guys get there is summer of '43 I have no idea. The only thing I know is that they play Red Front Too Much!

i have never made a successful counter-attack against the Germans :( I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

I know, i've read strategy guide's on it. but i can still never mount a counter attack. Well atleast not a successful one. I can hold the germans off at the historic lines. The best counter attack i've made was only in the south, from the Caucus and Stalingrad, i went along the coast and captured and held Sevastople. But that was late in the game.

Top Bottom