golem

Warlord
Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1785AD
Turns played: 267
Base score:1134
Final score:2139
Time played:6:20:00

Easy game, desert was powerfull - with Petra, Desert Folklore and Kasbahs unbeatable.
I did four cities, no war in the game. I wanted to finish with science, but on turn 220 I changed my mind - all CS loved me. I finished with 55 votes.

Thanks for nice game.

Last edited:
I've been sick for about a week. Thanks for the diversion, it was greatly appreciated.

Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1974
Turns played: 394
Base score:2607
Final score:3342
Time played:11:37:00

Powerful start with all the desert hills, silver, and sheep, etc. I like having my capital on the coast for the trade routes, but since I didn't see any fish or water luxes, I moved inland and settled on the silver; let my second city be on the coast. Turned out to be a good move. I got Desert Folklore and founded the first religion. I built Hanging Gardens and Petra, and then was like "now what?" I'm not used to large maps and with no designated victory type I wasn't sure what to do. So I just played peacefully (mostly) and settled 3 cities and took one from Assyria in a peace deal from a joint war after Ashurbanipal killed Austria. I had declared friendships with everyone (including Ashurbanipal even after taking his city) for most of the game, while slowly I accumulated fast hoards of gold and CS alliances. I built Forbidden Palace and I founded the World Congress.

In the Industrial or Modern era, England and Germany denounced me for being friends with their enemies. (My friendship with Bismarck lasted much longer than I expected after he took Order and I was Freedom, but he couldn't abide that I liked the Americans.) Napoleon asked me for a joint war with Elizabeth. I accepted, and I that's how I got York, London, Hastings, and liberated some American cities. Later, when Bismarck captured the last American city again, he immediately challenged me about troops on his border and asked if I wanted war. I said sure why not, and we had a nice little war (and I liberated America again.) Somewhere in all this I found that diplomatic victory was in my grasp and I went for it; I had 58 votes for world leader (44 required) on the first vote. Cultural victory might have been a little quicker, if I'd taken Internet instead of Globalization for my Rationalism finisher. Now I think I'm going to "just one more turn" and take the last 4 or 5 capitals...

The screenshot is of my 3 founded cities. Just to the left, I'm sweeping up the debris in Berlin

Attachments

• 20170906202428_1.jpg
    20170906202428_1.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 25AD
Turns played: 116
Base score: 492
Final score: 2139

The start seemed too good for Sacred Sites, large size map with lots of desert and even some Incense for extra faith and culture from monasteries. Built a few more units than I normally would because of raging barbs, but otherwise it was pretty straightforward. Pure Piety, +100G/DF/Monasteries/Mosques, gifted a city to the culture leader to send a trade route.

Attachments

• 20170903182447_1.jpg
    20170903182447_1.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 257
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1740AD
Turns played: 258
Base score: 1884
Final score: 3694
Time played: 9:57:00

That was a fun game! Thanks for making it for us.

I was going to play peaceful, maybe for diplo, given that Morocco should be a money machine. I took the city state to start location's West, since it was in the desert, though. Then I was delayed toward libraries and NC because I wanted to get four cities down. Except Germany attacked for NO REASON (they were mad about the CS conquest, and my last city was planted near them). They took my city and pissed me off, so I built a small archer army to take it back. But there was so little resistance, I took Hamburg and Berlin, too. Then I had the 2nd biggest army in the world, so Domination it would be.

No one really put up any meaningful resistance -- the map was a pain to get across, though. Mountains and jungles! Was that to discourage domination?

I wound up trying what I've seen some good players on here do: just pump out units endlessly when it is clear you will need no more infrastructure for the win. That turned out to be great, since my swarms of cavalry and Landscnecht/Lancers took out Netherlands and Paris for the last two capitals before most of my siege units could get there. Prior to that, it was archer/CB/XB all the way.

Oh, and I got a few extra units since Mayans founded Holy Warriors, I kept their religion in Palenque, and I had tons of faith from Desert Folklore. (first religion). That was fun! And Morocco is a financial beast. With Big Ben and Commerce tree completed, it was sick :)

interestingly, Napolean decided to DoF me when I had conquered all but 2-3 capitals. What was he thinking?? I just kept doing lux for lump sum trades til the end, which didn't hurt, and kept him bankrupt at DoW time. Weird. He had NO negative modifiers with me.

Screenshot after last capital fell, attached.

Attachments

• last morrocco screenshot.png
    last morrocco screenshot.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1961 AD
Turns played: 381
Score: 1869 (I’m not sure what Base and Final Score mean that others are putting up. I only see one score, the one on the main diplomacy screen that lists all the civs and their scores).

Well, I got Desert Folklore and Petra (and Kasbah are awesome!); I still ragequit three times, hahaha.

· The first time was because the raging barbarians spread their rage to me. I couldn’t do anything without them messing something up. Raiding my caravans, threatening my workers and settlers, pillaging my land. At one point they were camping around a ruin and so I led them on a wild goose chase around some mountains and came back and was a step away from the ruin and bam, a Dutch scout shows up and gets it.

· The second was when I found out that’s a lake.

· The third was when Bismarck DoW’d me for the third time in a row. (I guess he didn’t like it when I accidentally shot his protected city-state’s worker, said too bad, then the next turn captured it.) Germany attacking from the west, the English in the north, barbarians raging in the east.

After that, I decided to forget trying to play a fast, peaceful game. Win, lose or draw, this game was going to be about destroying Bismarck.

So I started cranking out CB and Pikemen and headed toward Munich. Surprisingly, it was barely defended. I guess he had sent all his units at me earlier and I took them out. I was out-teched (Pikemen vs. Musketmen then Riflemen) so it was a long hard slog. But my Berber Cavalry evened the score so I took Munich. I realized city razing was off and it wasn’t a good city so I starved the citizenry and let him take it back. It was just size 1 by then.

By this time I had seen that Hamburg was on the coast so had gone for Navigation. And I had built a canal city so Marrakech ships could get out of the lake. Frigates and my battle hardened troops from the Battle of Munich took Hamburg. And Berlin fell not too long after. Both cities were great – Berlin had a million wonders; Bismarck must’ve been going for CV.

With Germany out of the way I was worried about Elizabeth attacking so I moved my army north to protect the border. She never attacked though and the rest of the game was peaceful for me (the AI were busy fighting each other a lot). I lost a lot of time in the 1000 year War Against German Aggression and ended up with a Science Victory in the year 1961AD.

One question about the submission file: Do I need to rename it and put my username in there or just leave the name as it is? It doesn't say anything about renaming the file on the submission screen but I though I read it somewhere.

Attachments

• MorrocoGotM1.jpg
    MorrocoGotM1.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 156
  • MorrocoGotM2.jpg
    MorrocoGotM2.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 183
Turn 234 Culture Victory (Sacred Sites).

Had 24 cities in the end, some of them large and lots of 1-2 pop.
Turns out Vadalaz beat me to it in less than half my time, argghhhh :mischief: :goodjob:
Got surprise DOWed by Germany at one point, he almost took Marrakech so that set me back quite a bit. Conquered Hamburg and Berlin, he had lots of wonders in Berlin so that may have helped.
Turns out I got same religion as Vadalaz, except I had Pagodas instead of Mosques.

Game status: Cultural Victory
Game date: 2006 AD
Turns played: 426
Base score: 1857
Final score: 2184
Time played: 22:34:00

Settled in place. Went for Animal Husbandry to localize horses taking into account Moroccans UU.
Went for Pottery for the shrines afterwards and then bee-lined Currency for Petra.
Founded Rabbat to the NW, next to the confluence of two rivers in between all the horses and bananas close to Berlin. Assured horses for the entire game.
Created Pantheon: chose Desert Folklore. Went for Tradition policy for the 15% production for wonders and city growth.
Build Petra and Hanging Gardens in the capital.
Settled Fes to the SE, on the hill between all the cattle and next to the Gold to the S of the inland lake.
Killed lots of barbarians, allied Belgrade as a consequence. This was an alliance for the rest of the game and I received lots of units form Belgrade.
On turn 109 Bismarck declares and he goes full force for Rabbat. At this moment in the game he has the largest army.
Tough moments, fierce battles at the gates of Rabbat. Thanks to the strategic location of Belgrade, who's my ally, he can't march on to the rest of my territory.
Slowly I can turn the tide. I went for Berlin, captured it on turn 139 and peaced out. The Great Library, Pyramids and Mausoleum of Halicarnassus are now mine.
Build Colossus in Marrakech, later on also a Caravansary and a Harbor just for the achievement "Greed is Good".
Founded Islam: Tithe en Mosques. Enhanced religion: Pagodas.
On turn 210 Washington and me declare on Bismarck together --> captured Munich on turn 235 --> finally a coastal city!
From there on I turtled and build up my infrastructure for a Cultural Victory. Never got involved in any wars anymore although the AI kept fighting eachother.
Darius went berserk in the end, eliminating Maria Theresa and Ashurbanipal but he was too far away to be a real threat.
He succeeded in building a couple of Space ship parts (as I did) but by then my Cultural Victory was within reach.

Great game although my old desktop had some difficulties with the large map end-game. I am also afraid a month is too short for me to finish a GotM. I had some spare time this month but with work and two little kids running around I don't know if that will be posible in the future. We'll see.

Hopefully I will get around to answering OP questions. I took some notes, but I am not remembering anything in particular at the moment, except that I enjoyed wonder-whoring like a newb.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 162
Date submitted: 2017-09-30 12:52:15
Reference number: 35623
Your name: beetle
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1979AD
Turns played: 399
Base score: 4141
Final score: 5241
Time played: 62:33:00
Submitted save: Ahmad al-Mansur_0399 AD-1979 DV.Civ5Save
Renamed file: beetle_C516201.Civ5Save

Diplomatic victory 1922 (turn 324)

I guess, I could have maybe shaved off a few turns by deciding earlier which way to go (thought I'd go for space race first, but lacking time, I switched when I saw that Diplomatic was doable faster)

We were traveling this month so I missed the submission deadline. That's okay. I enjoy seeing what happens when other players use different approaches. I admire the top competitors, but it's not the only way to have fun.

I had a Science victory on turn 389. I started by missing five wonders in a row. I think Great Library went on turn 37. After a while a person starts to feel unlucky. I did finally get Petra.

My plan was to go Culture but not getting wonders slows that down. Early construction seemed very slow. Playing recent games I start by wiping out the neighbours, though not this time. In restrospect getting rid of Bismarck early would have been a good choice.

At the end I was influential with France and Austria but a lot of my culture came from conquering capitols that originally built the wonders. I did focus on growing the population throughout, rather than on overbuilding infrastructure. That made a big difference in the late game.

Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 25AD
Turns played: 116
Base score: 492
Final score: 2139

The start seemed too good for Sacred Sites, large size map with lots of desert and even some Incense for extra faith and culture from monasteries. Built a few more units than I normally would because of raging barbs, but otherwise it was pretty straightforward. Pure Piety, +100G/DF/Monasteries/Mosques, gifted a city to the culture leader to send a trade route.

Gave this game two more tries but I don't manage to get tourism up fast enough, even if I think I'm doing quite well, I have only about half your tourism in that turn.
Even knowing the map...

Did you build something for culture to get the policies faster?

Gave this game two more tries but I don't manage to get tourism up fast enough, even if I think I'm doing quite well, I have only about half your tourism in that turn.
Even knowing the map...

Did you build something for culture to get the policies faster?
Just the monuments and the faith buildings, maybe had a cultural CS friend too at some point. Do you buy Monasteries first, before enhancing religion? They're cheap and the culture they provide helps a lot.

I think, I did it on the first try, at least in the capital. But there I wasn't finding all civs early enough (despite knowing the map, got hold up by barbs), and also expanding too slow.
2nd try I took the liberty opener for culture and build the Oracle. I guess, I had better invested the hammers in settlers, because tourism was running too late when some civs started building more culture buildings.
Did you get the Pantheon by a shrine or by a hut?

Don't have the saves anymore but I'm pretty sure it was the shrine, didn't want to risk losing Desert Folklore

Top Bottom