TSG 163 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG163 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).
- How useful was your UA?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
- What techs did you prioritize ?

Fun game! First time I've played epic speed on a small map. Finished it last night, a violent culture victory in 466 turns. Can't upload the game because the submissions page is still closed (I'll do that closer to the end of the month) I could have had a domination victory on turn 462, but I traded Sweden their capital back for a crappy little city plus open borders right before I wiped out Attila. Then had to buy a great engineer to speed of Broadway for a great musician -- I should have planned better; I was over halfway finished building Broadway the hard way when I realized I needed that musician a little quicker for a concert tour.
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

- The extra sight was very useful when scouting; I got to a couple of extra goody huts before the AI because of it, and I found the nearby natural wonders much quicker, and the extra sight is also good when fighting barbs or at war for avoiding ambushes. The cheaper tiles part is always good, but not game-changing.
- The map was great. I've so seldom had Fountain of Youth in a game, I didn't realize how powerful the double-healing thing is. And Kilimanjaro too? Minutemen with altitude training fly thru hilly terrain.
- I didn't try for a religion. I could have gotten one, but I had other things to build (archers and settlers and libraries and granaries) and the AI got their pantheons really fast, so it was going to cost me a lot of faith just for that. I also expected Attila or Dido to attack me early and I was readying a defense for that (they never did)
- Honor opener, full Tradition, finished Honor (left side first), full Patronage, Freedom. I was going to pick Autocracy but Attila beat me to it by a couple of turns, and I wanted the extra tenet from being first. I almost never take Volunteer Army because Arsenal of Democracy is stronger, but I took VA in this game (before Universal Suffrage) so I could delay Rifling and build minutemen longer while working the top of the science tree.
- Gunpowder, Industrialization, Replaceable Parts (Statue of Liberty), Refrigeration (hotels and submarines)

My happiness would be a lot better in the final screen shot, but I'm razing 4 cities :)

20171010022459_1.jpg

Spoiler The epic TL;DR version :
I was friends with Isabella almost the whole game. She invited me to an early war with Dido and I accepted; I took Carthage and she took Utique which had the Great Lighthouse. Dido never recovered from that although she was still in the game at the end. She was overrun by barbs who kept stealing her settlers and workers until I eventually sent a longswordsman and a galleass to go clear the camp (I kept all the settlers and returned the workers.) I worked on growing my little empire for a while, next I was going to declare war on wonder-spamming Siam before they got elephants. But they built the Great Wall just as I was ready so I declared war on Sweden instead, taking Copenhagen and Sigtuna(?) easily. My biggest mistake of the game came right about now; I annexed Carthage, not realizing I was still a turn or two away from finishing the National College. And I didn't know it wasn't built until many turns later, and after I'd settled another city. So I finished building that, but that's probably why Attila was able to get several techs ahead of me (plus he had the Great Library, but I think that's not as important as the NC snafu)

Isabella and Attila invite me to a war with Rammy and I accept. With a little assistance from Attila I managed to capture Suhkothia, and Isabella took a nice coastal city. She remained at war with him for hundreds of years, launching many abortive attempts to take the last city which was defended only by a trebuchet. I have no idea what the problem was - I was waiting for her to capture it (also waiting for a DoF to expire) so I could liberate Siam and capture Madrid and Utique. Meanwhile Attila and I are building wonders; he was also accumulating early tourism and I for the most part was not. I built a writers guild but was not working it, and did not even build the other guilds yet because I was waiting for Futurism. He picked the first ideology while I was still a few turns away and he took Autocracy, so when it was my turn I went Freedom instead. I had more culture than him, but he was "exotic" to my people and I was unknown to his.

Somewhere in there I pretty much singlehandedly built the Worlds Fair. :) Eventually it was time to declare war on the Huns, so I attacked his largest city (near Suhkothia) and retreated to draw his units into my Great Wall quagmire where I could slaughter them. That worked pretty well. Then I captured that city, and another city next to it which I razed, and I put a citadel and 3 highly-promoted Gatling guns in the mountain pass to Attila's Court to kill anything stupid enough get close, and I had a large army on the plains and swamps between Kilimanjaro and the Huns southernmost city which was on the coast. I started a naval assault on his coastal cities (captured lots of frigates, which I leveled-up to range promotions by taking potshots at his workers and archaeologists along the coast, and I have one frigate with logistics) By now I have Great War infantries and I'm teching towards Dynamite. Attila's Court had a defense strength of about 100, but it fell pretty quickly when surrounded by artillery.

I gave Stockholm back to Sweden to keep a domination victory from triggering when I captured Attila's Court, and I finished exterminating the Huns. I shuffled all my great works around to get theming bonuses, then bought a great engineer to finish Broadway. That musician played a concert in Stockholm and I was influential over Sweden, and 6 turns away from influential over Siam (influential over Carthage a long time ago.) Rammy denounced me, so I declared war on that backstabber and burned his last 2 cities (which I had previously liberated from Spain) for the win.

Last edited:
My capitol was wiped out by Attila on turn 120 so I won't be submitting. He showed up with five warriors, three horse archers and three battering rams. Two of my three units were attacking Spain and couldn't get back. His battering rams turned out to be unnecessary.

I started over and was attacked again around turn 105, so that looks like standard practice for the Huns. My third attempt I beelined Construction for composite bowmen to block the Hun army, destroyed it and then spent far too long trying to take Attila's port city.

The fourth try might turn out to be a workable opening strategy. I simply declared war in any situation where my units had a numerical advantage. First I managed to destroy Attila's warrior and archer. Next I attacked Sweden, knocking out two warriors and an archer without losing anybody.

That stopped the Huns and the Swedes from building cities and blocking me in. It took a long time for their replacement units to come into play. I did see some sucidal behaviour from the AI units (jumping into lakes, advancing alone into the middle of my army) which other players have mentioned.

I had to take Honor to keep the raging barbarians from slowing everything down. It's already turn 75 and I've just built a library, so we'll see how things go from here.

T277 culture victory.

Got an early religion (built shrine first) and won using Sacred Sites. I got surprise DOWed twice, first by Sweden and Carthage (Sweden took my capital for a while), and then by Spain who took a couple of minor cities. I proceeded to wipe out first Carthage and then Spain, who were the culture leades. Made peace with Sweden after taking one of their cities, as they didn't have much culture. Attila was never a challenge.

Dominance over Sweden and Huns was quick, and I became dominant over Siam 3 turns after I wiped out Spain. So could have won 3 turns earlier if I had wiped out Siam's only city earlier (which I figured wasn't worth it at the time).

+1 sight is an immense tactical advantage. Also, I never saw the fountain of youth in any game before - double healing is obviously awesome too as I did a lot of warmongering, and the happiness bonus helped immensely for the SS city spam :)

I have no idea though if t277 is a good time on epic - vadalaz are you playing? ;)

Last edited:
T204 Scared Sites Culture Victory

How useful was your UA?
+1sight helps planning where to settle, see barb camps early.

Did you use spying to your advantage?
1st spy came 3 turns before winning

Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
Natural Wonder helps starting faith

How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
Raging barbs, settle on top of lux asap to bribe AI to war with each other while
I settle until someone have spare time to DOW me, which happened way too late.

What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
Piety=>Organized Religion=>Religious Tolerance=>Reformation=>Mandate of Heaven=>Theocracy=>Honor

Pottery(shrine)=>Mining(lux)=>AH(horse tile)=>BW(iron tile)=>Calendar(lux)=>Phil(temple)=>Machinary beeline=>doesn't matter
Cap has 2 citizens, neglect granary, library, NC.

20171015180926_1.jpg 20171015180932_1.jpg20171015183652_1.jpg 20171015183638_1.jpg 20171015183640_1.jpg

T495 CV, 1905 AD 2419 raw score, I forgot to note the adjusted score and the submission page is down.

My two goals from the start were for (1) an Autocratic CV that did not look a DOM game, and (2) win by CV before having to vote against myself as WL. I hit both of those, so I was pretty pleased with myself. [ Well, I was until I saw @sebtanic and @Airey SS write-ups! Nice job guys! ]
Warrior to the hill SE of Settler. SIP unless I see coast or a NW.
A bonehead move right in the beginning was mistaking the lake for ocean. I forgot that mouse-over reveals the difference!

I lost my first settler to barbs because I though the UA was providing me sufficient LOS. To add insult to injury, Attila snagged my settler a turn before I could rescue him. The AIs play by different rules, so the captured settler did not revert to a worker. Rubbing salt in the wound, Attila named that city Seattle!

I was able to settle both Kilimanjaro and FOY, so definitely a fun map! I also built Alhambra, which I almost never get. Unfortunately, it does not stack with the UU starting promotion. Still, I got lots of enjoyment from melee units being born with March. FOY buff March, so that was great, but really I think I would have been much better off with double Cover. But how often does one get to play a map with the two best NW for warmongering?

I was able to wonder-whore like a newb, more great fun. Among several others, Washington had Sistine Chapel, Louvre, and Uffizi. Everything was themed, I closed out Aesthetics, and I hit Internet right at the end. It seemed like I really should have been able to finish faster. I tried the map a second time, but it still took me to T493! Philadelphia, my only coastal city, ended with Great Lighthouse, Colossus, Prora, and SOH. Did I say how much fun this map was?

I was waiting on the UU to start running the map. Early I was bribing Attila and Isabella to DOW my neighbors. I had a bit of tough time with Attila around T250, but he accepted peace before taking any cities. Meanwhile, Isabella killed off Carthage and Siam.

On T285 I used Oxford for Industrialization, but alas, no easy Coal. (Then no Oil, and later, no Aluminum.) Still, I was first to Ideologies on T353. I kept building UU until I had nine of them, upgraded them all to Riflemen, and DOW’d Isabella as soon as I had Dynamite.

Unfortunately, Attila DOW’d me while my army was away, so I made peace with Spain and took Seattle. I am not sure what he was thinking, as he was still sporting his UUs.

As soon as I could, I went back to war again with Spain. I promptly lost all my arty to GWB, same pattern as usual for me, I am sorry to say. I also used up all those lovely veteran melee units, without taking a single city. Fortunately, a few turns later I unlocked Ballistics and I was buying and building AA units at a steady pace, as well as getting my own Triplanes and GWBs. I used a GS to bulb Radar on T459, upgraded my air units, and the game pace picked up considerably!

I recalled Siam on T462, and had him up to three cities on T478. Then I went through Isabella’s core cities. On T490 I liberated Carthage, recalling Dido. She also ended the game with three cities.

Attached is the screen shot of my victory turn. I am happy to say that the map looks nothing like the end of a DOM game! All but one civ still has their original caps!
civ5ss-gotm163-t495cv.jpg

Last edited:
T324 sacred sites victory

Got sacred sites culture and expansion up and running quite ok. Had a problem with Carthage...
Thought I'd make it because we shared a religion, had open borders and trade routes.

Had to bribe others into having wars to not get DOWed.

But when it was looking like she'd run away in techs, I had to build military which in the end I should have done earlier...
Fortunately it was not a big problem that I had weaker units.
Game was over when I conquered her last city.

Game status: Domination Wrong VC
Game date: 760AD
Turns played: 224
Base score: 713
Final score: 2458
Time played: 3:14:00

So... my submission doesn't count since I didn't go cultural. I planned to take over my continent and then sit back to build a cultural empire to overwhelm the other continent. But it turned out there was no other continent! I don't what I missed on the game description. It looked like it was 10 civs, not 5, but a lot of other things were off, too. Was there some other info post I missed?

Anyway, I had fun rolling over everyone. I've been getting my butt kicked on Deity lately, so it was nice to feel confident again.

I intended to take out Siam early since I figured they'd be cultural powerhouse. Then I saw my CB army was #1! So I figured, I'll roll till it's not. Well, I rolled over Spain and Carthage, and just about then the Huns went to #1 army size and DOWed me, along with Sweden. So I went back and recaptured Siam while I held off Sweden with just a CB or two. A peace treaty gave me a crappy city from Sweden and one from the Huns, both of which I burned. The treaty gave me time to march back and take Sweden's capital. The Huns were in a terrible place to assault, so I waited for Machinery. Upgraded three CBs (all I had $$ for, but they were upgraded to range or logistics by now), and went back for the Huns. Took one city on the way to their capital, then the capital, and.... surprise! Game over. Funny.

Congrats to you, Airey, on the quick Sacred Sites victory. I've never done that and admire it. This was the perfect map for it, wasn't it? Lots of room? Huns weren't a great neighbor to play peaceful, though, and Siam probably was a culture bear if you didn't wipe them out, right? You finished that super fast -- and with the right VC :)

It was fun for scouting.
N/A
Well... I was confused. Kilimanjaro was super fun. I love it when that's in my games. All units used it.
I got Machu Pichu and something else. I couldn't believe there were wonders available. But in retrospect, that's because I thought people on the "other continent" should be building them! Ha.
Filled out tradition, then went for one point in Commerce before game end. In retrospect, Honor would have been better, or maybe even Liberty. Just read consentient's guide, which recommends Liberty for a CB rush, Honor for XB rush, and Tradition later. Oops. Also, this was my first game with raging barbs. Holy cow! I'm glad it was lower difficulty than I was used to -- that was nuts. Did those who went honor get a ton of culture from barbs?
I don't remember exactly. I think I delayed Construction til I had 6 archers to upgrade, tho I think I only went to war with 4CBs and a warrior and scout. Lacked melee early. Learned that lesson. Horses are fun -- I hardly ever use them, but they were good for getting around the map and reinforcing. And surprisingly strong. I prioritized Machinery over Education, which I'm not sure I've ever done (but probably should do more often for early warmongering). Then I went to sailing and optics, because I thought I would need an amphib assault on Huns. But they founded another city, which I had to take first by land.

Why so few people doing these GOTMs now? Have people moved on to Civ6, or Beyond Earth? I just rediscovered these myself.

I don't really know how to attach images well, but I did sign up for Imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/ydZh3 Last Capital TSG163.png Washington TSG163.png

It's amazing how different people's games are. When I played, Attila was the cultural powerhouse and he didn't warmonger much. (this wasn't random personalities, was it?) I see the submission page is back up; I'll have to see if I can find my victory save file...

Game: Civ5 GOTM 163
Date submitted: 2017-10-31 00:27:36
Reference number: 35674
Your name: zxcvbob
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1877AD
Turns played: 467
Base score: 3092
Final score: 4987
Time played: 13:05:00

Last edited:
So... my submission doesn't count since I didn't go cultural. I planned to take over my continent and then sit back to build a cultural empire to overwhelm the other continent. But it turned out there was no other continent! I don't what I missed on the game description. It looked like it was 10 civs, not 5, but a lot of other things were off, too. Was there some other info post I missed?
Your submission counts, it is just kept separate from the designated VC submissions.

To attach a file, please use the "Upload a File" option button located under this window on the far right of the screen, to the right of the "Post Reply" button.

Thanks, Leif. I'll do just that next time.

Reading all your responses, I note that I missed Fountain of Youth! I don't think I've ever had that in a game. Cool.

Thanks to the moderators/organizers. I appreciate you guys putting together these games for us each month.

Top Bottom