TSG 226 Opening Actions Thread

Nizef

Emperor
GOTM Staff
This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

- What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game?
- Where did you settle and what did you build first?
- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- What Social Policies did you choose?
- What Wonders did you try to get and did you get them?
- Did you get a religion? What religious beliefs did you pick?

At turn 114, I had 4 cities and was building the Oracle in the capital. I already had two cultural CS allies.

As there seems to be a lot of room for building cities, I took liberty (just finished the tree). I'm planning to settle more cities once I get NC in the capital.

I also got the Great Library in turn 77.
Oh and Poland just DOWed me. Just when I had my scout near one of his workers... thanks for the gift! :D I'm not too worried about his little army of warriors closing in on Corinth...

Attachments

• tsg226 t114.png
    tsg226 t114.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 40
0 - Settle in place (nice coastal location). Research Archery. Build Scout -> Worker ->Archer
4 - Map ruin
11 - 65g
15 - buy deer tile
17 - Animal Husbandry ruin
24 - 20 faith ruin
25 - 1st pantheon goes to someone else :sad:
32 - Archer -> Shrine
35 - open Tradition
40 - Shrine -> Granary
41 - Find Mt. Kailash for Riga
48 - Aristocracy
50 - Granary -> Archer

Greece50.png

55- Take Open Sky pantheon (culture from pastures)
56 - Archer -> Settler
57 - Clear camp with a Polish Settler, ally Riga
61 - DoW Poland for a worker. Peace China for 229g (previously joint DoW'ed China with Monty)
66 - Settler -> Water Mill
72 - Buy Chariot Archer, found Sparta beside Mt. Kailash (low food, but at this point I'm allied with Riga and Byblos so it works)
73 - Peace Poland for 242g and 2gpt
78 - Masonry -> Calendar
85 - Great Library done

Greece100.png

106 - Stonehenge -> Hanging Gardens
110 - Landed Elite
120 - HG -> Market, found Eastern Orthodoxy (tithe and divine inspiration)
123 - Peace Monty for 251g <-> silk
125 - Meet Kuala Lumpur
127 - Market -> NC
135 - Monarchy
138 - Peace Brazil 120g, 5gpt, NC -> Settler
140 - Peace China 77g, 3gpt <-> Silk, Buy Cargo Ship: Athens -> Sparta
145 - Peace Poland for Lodz, Civil Service -> Bronze Working
148 - Cargo Ship -> Circus (Athens), Petra -> circus (Sparta)
150 - Enhance (Pagodas and Itinerant Preachers)
Spoiler :

Greece 150.png

Moderator Action: Placed spoiler tags around the turn 150 screenshot to keep other players from seeing spoilers in terrain or resource locations. Just a precaution as Opening Action threads generally encompass the first 100 turns or so. Thanks. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
- What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game?
Large map, Epic; I'm not sure what to expect. But I'll try to found lots of cities hopefully. I also want to spread my religion far and wide.

- Where did you settle and what did you build first?
Moved one tile east to settle next to the deer to have deer and cows in first tier. Built Scout first. Scout second, then Shrine, Monument.

- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions? - What Social Policies did you choose?
A lot of rough terrain. But a lot of land. So I opened Tradition and then went full Liberty. Once I had uncovered all the great city locations I mapped them out and will try to settle as many as I can. Atilla helped in this regard since China had settled a city way south of her capital and got in my way. But then Atilla attacked her and burnt it to the ground. So I swept in and founded a city in the area.

- What were your initial priorities?
Initial priorities were to explore as fast as possible. I thought about building 3 scouts but went with the more standard two.

- What tech path did you follow and why?
Followed normal tech path except went for Greece's UU's instead of CBs.

- What Wonders did you try to get and did you get them?
Decided not to go for wonders in the very early game and build settlers instead. I founded 5 cities fairly quickly. Later I got Pyramids first and Oracle second.

- Did you get a religion? What religious beliefs did you pick?
Got first pantheon and religion. Never took this pantheon before; the one with +happiness for pop 6+, since I was going as wide as possible and figured I might need the happiness. Plus could get faith from Mt. Kailish. Took Cerimonial Burial and Pagodas for even more happiness. Mistakenly used the Liberty finisher for a GrProphet; didn't realize how much it would increase the cost on Epic, wow.

Monte asked me to joint DoW Poland very early and I said sure. I thought about taking out their capital but it is pretty bad so left it; they'll be no threat. Atilla is attacking everyone as usual; except me thank goodness, I'm too busy founding cities; he's already taken out Pedro. Got some good ruins: Pottery, Barbs, Culture, Sailing, Pop, Gold, Faith, Culture, Pop and even more I forgot about. Here's a screenshot from T129, not sure what that translates to in Standard relationship but I think its pre-100 since things seem very early still. I've got 5 cities and am going to keep expanding. I don't think I'm even going to build the NC; won't have time for it since I'm expanding so much and probably won't need it on Prince although it may slow me down some in getting to the other continent.

Spoiler T129 :
T129 Opening Actions.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom