TSG 231 Opening Actions Thread

vadalaz

Emperor
GOTM Staff
This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

Quick links: Upload submission | Announcement thread | After actions

- What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game?
- Where did you settle and what did you build first?
- How did the low difficulty level affect your early decisions?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- What Social Policies did you choose?
- What Wonders did you try to get and did you get them?
- Did you get a religion? What religious beliefs did you pick?

Last edited:
- What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game?

Get population as fast as possible. With the 3 wheat in range I was thinking sun god pantheon. Turns out there was a good deal of wheat around the map, so this has been a good choice.

I moved the warrior west and revealed another salt. By moving between the two wheat it set up a capital with 3 wheat, 3 salt, gems and lots of river tiles. Build order was three scouts followed by a settler.

Early ruins were: population 2->3, 95g, spearman upgrade (facilitated 3-4 tributes), bronze working, culture, barb camps, map, 95g.

War, war and more war. That, and population. There's no sense in coddling the AI on chieftain. The plan was to steal workers and bully any early game gold they have and turn that into population asap. I took Sigtuna in a peace deal since the location was good and it was puppeted until after the NC bulb.

Mining, to pottery, calendar, AH.

With all the civs on the home continent, I'll target PP after Education to start the world council clock and then Astronomy to meet the new world.

Full Liberty finished turn 64 (great engineer). Engineered National College on turn 71. Once a view of the land showed many good spots, Liberty was a good choice. If each city of 7 produces a great scientist that should set up an early push to printing press and telecommunication.

I think I'll open tradition next then patronage. If I get an extra policy before rationalism it'll probably be aristocracy.

So far GL and ToA in Washington. Stonehenge, Oracle and Petra are in progress.

Sun god pantheon. Turn 59 religion (tithe and divine inspiration).

One little frustration. I was a handful of gold short of buying the deer near Edinburgh and Boudicca grew to that tile the turn I was going to buy it!

231_72.png

Last edited:
That was a fast first 100 turns. I haven't started my expansion yet. Doing a standard 4-city NC. But I did pick a Great Admiral for the Liberty finisher so I could find the new world (I grayed it out in the mini-map screenshot so as to avoid spoilers). I found it in short order and after I get to Astronomy its time to head directly there. My GAdm. died after only exploring about half the coastline of the new world but at least now I know exactly where to head so my troops don't have to go wandering around the ocean.

I met Ram on T2 and was like, wow that was fast. Then, T16, met Austria - oh no, they may have to die quickly, I hate Austria, always gobbling up CS. On T25 Caesar asked me to go to war against Austria and I said sure, hoping that he would take her out so I didn't have to worry about it; but alas, he didn't - at least not yet.

• What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game? - What tech path did you follow and why?
    • How to get to the New World the fastest and start spamming cities before anyone else got there. Went toward Astronomy as fast as possible with just a couple detours for this reason.
  • Where did you settle and what did you build first?
    • Settled on the Gems. That turned out to be a mistake because I could have fit another city to the west on the coast that had pearls. Went standard Scout, Scout, Monument.
  • How did the low difficulty level affect your early decisions? - What Wonders did you try to get and did you get them?
    • Played with reckless abandon. And tried building wonders that I never bother with. I got ToA, GLibrary, Hagia Sophia, Pyramids, Stonehenge; all in Washington.
  • What Social Policies did you choose?
    • Full Liberty then Patronage.
  • Did you get a religion? What religious beliefs did you pick?
    • Yep - Pantheon, Earth Mother. Tithe, Pagodas, Divine Inspiration (faith from Wonders) and Holy Order (faster missionaries). I'm going to try and spread my religion everywhere before the AI even gets one.

Attachments

• T100.jpg
    T100.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game?

Wasn't really sure as did not recall what Terra meant. But probably take out some of AI to build a wide ranging empire. Perhaps take out all but one to speed up Diplo vote.

Settled in place and as always Scout/Monument(switch to Shrine)

Know it'll be easier so could just make settlers/cities left and right.

I almost invariably just tech along normal path. Not a fan of beelining.

At this point Liberty done and starting Patronage. Now that I know what Terra means, Exploration is on the docket.

So far, Pyramids, GL, Colossus

Yes, Confucianism....Earth Mother/Primal Papacy/Pagodas/Mosques.

I eyed Siam and the city sites beyond firstly and had eliminated his 3 cities by 0001 Celts with their one city will come next. Then will go after Austria. Not sure on Sweden. The land to their south is such a barren wasteland. Either you'd build in pretty bad locations or battle Barbs forever. Might go after Rome after...not sure.

How exactly do you do the screen shots I see here? I even Googled it and it seems Civ 5 itself does not make this any easier. What is the easiest method?

How exactly do you do the screen shots I see here? I even Googled it and it seems Civ 5 itself does not make this any easier. What is the easiest method?
When I hit the Print Screen key on my keyboard the screenshot goes into a folder called "Screenshots". I don't remember if that is in the same location as the other Civ files (I'm at work now) but I think it is a special folder that Civ uses. It saves it as a .tga file (at least mine does) which is a large file so you need to change it to a .jpg or something smaller to post on the forum.

When I hit the Print Screen key on my keyboard the screenshot goes into a folder called "Screenshots". I don't remember if that is in the same location as the other Civ files (I'm at work now) but I think it is a special folder that Civ uses. It saves it as a .tga file (at least mine does) which is a large file so you need to change it to a .jpg or something smaller to post on the forum.
You can resize it and change the screenshot format using a free program like IrfanView. Been using it for many years when playing Succession Games of Civ4.

Top Bottom