TSG105 Opening Actions

- What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game?
Deity, OCC is going to be incredibly difficult. The mountain is going to be a must in order to have a chance at a science victory. Capital placement will be crucial. Also, because it's deity, I can't take a long time to make a settlement decision. The AI will runaway with the game if I don't focus on catching up quickly. Also, I'll need to prioritize maritime city states, ToA, and HG. Growth will be difficult. Trade routes to AI will be necessary for early game science.

- Did you spend much time doing reconnaissance before settling?
No, I used two turns of warrior movements to scout, and settled my settler on Turn 1 to the west of the mountain in the east at start. Turned out to be an acceptable locations, although the north western mountain would probably have been a better location overall.

- Where did you settle and what did you build first?
West of mountain to the east.
Build order: Scout-> Worker (halfway) -> Shrine -> Worker (complete) -> ToA (Complete T35) -> Granary -> HG (Complete T58) -> Library -> NC (Complete T78) -> Oracle (Complete T87)

Also built a caravan somewhere in there, and bought a caravan the turn of NC completion.

- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?
Mountain an absolute priority. No other considerations were important due to OCC.

- What were your initial priorities?
Found a pantheon and maybe get lucky with religion, then get ToA and HG. Those two were absolutely a must for a successful game.

- What tech path did you follow and why?
Pottery for Shrine, then Archery to start on ToA as soon as possible. Then I bee-lined Mathematics for HG. Only after Mathematics did I consider going writing, because I couldn't afford to waste any time. After that, normal science game except absolute focus on Science techs because I can't afford any mistakes.

- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
Full Tradition. No real option here. Growth will be absolutely crucial to win. I have opened Patronage as well as of turn 100, with the goal to get some extra science from city state allies at some point.

- Has it been peaceful? Did anyone start a war?
I warred Morocco as soon as I found them. Stole two workers by taking a worker and a settler. Eventually took peace and now we're friends.

- Did you use Faith to gain an advantage? If so, how?
Turned out I wasn't able to get a religion. I chose God King for a panetheon though, so I got some useful benefits out of it early game. It's still the faith in my capital though as of turn 100 so I'm still benefiting from it. Definitely worth the hammers for the shrine.

Turn 100: 7 techs behind the leader, I will complete Education on turn 109 or maybe 108 at current rate. Capital is population 16 and I am earning 53 beakers per turn. I feel in a decent position, but I wish I was closer to catching up at this point. I might not be able to catch up until Industrial the way things are going, if ever.
Spoiler :
TSG_105_Turn100.jpg

Top Bottom