TSG146 Opening Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG146 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your city?
- What was your opening build/tech policy order?
- How many civs have you met so far? Who is/might be your first victim?
- Have you used Promotion Saving to your advantage?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

I usually post well after turn 100 in these threads, this time I'm at the beginning of turn 80. I settled in place and started building a scout, then a monument, shrine, granary, and I'm not sure what next; probably an archer or a hoplite. Then I built a library, and started spamming archers, hoplites, and composite bows after that. Tributed a CS that was under protection by almost everybody and used the money to upgrade my archers. I told most of them "sorry, I won't do it again", but I told Pacal to mind his own business because he was at the top of my list anyway.

I've gone straight Liberty (it was tough for a while, not having the Honor opener, and very little advantage over barbarians at this level) Planted my free settler to the south, on the river hill between the horses and sheep. I'm planning to take a great scientist for the finisher to help me keep from falling too far behind in tech; don't know if I'll ever get around to a national college. Not sure what policy tree to open next, Honor, Commerce, or Patronage. I also haven't decided whether to try building the Pyramids.

I've met everybody. Sold an embassy to Siam and Russia, but not the others at first because I didn't know where they were. Eventually I researched Writing and swapped embassies with everybody, even Attila. I founded the last religion so there wasn't much left to choose from. (Would have been the 2nd religion if my great prophet hadn't dillydallied.) I got God-King, Tithe and Asceticism.

Attila asked me to join him in declaring war on Pocatello really early and I agreed, just to get things started. I didn't even know where the Shoshone were yet. I chased a pathfinder around a little with one of my hoplites and attacked him a few times (those things are tough!) and then made peace as soon as I could. The Huns and Shoshone are still at war. I DoW'd the Maya first, and I just took their capital. Played another turn or two and found his expo, and then made peace because my companion cav ended his turn in a dangerous spot and might have gotten killed; I didn't want to take his last city anyway. And now it's turn 80. Siam is next. I should ask Catherine if she wants in on this.

Policy saving? I didn't realize that was enabled. Not sure that I would have used it tho'. I did have to heal instantly for one of my promotions (a hoplite, I think) but I haven't lost any units yet.

Edit: I did build the Pyramids. It's turn 107 now, and I've captured Sukothai. (sp?) I probably should have waited one more turn because there was a workboat in the city; I thought I would capture it like a worker, but it was destroyed. Now I'll have to annex to get the whales. I think I'm going to totally eliminate Siam. Get my roads hooked up while the cities burn, then move on to Russia.

Last edited:
I settled in place, started with Archery, built a scout and monument, and then shifted over to my first archer before the granary was finished. The first part of the game after Honor was finding barbarians for faster culture.

I opened the left side of Liberty but in hindsight I should have continued with Honor. I built only two other cities, both coastal, northeast and south. In practice games my scout always got promoted to a hoplite but that didn't happen here. With three military units scouting I met all other civilizations by turn 80.

So far I've taken the Siamese capitol. Pacal is warning everyone I'm not to be trusted so my next step is to prove he's right. Usually on Immortal this is where I get destroyed by an overwhelming AI army but Attila is friendly and according to my military advisor no one else is strong enough.

I haven't saved a promotion yet but I'm aware of the option and expect to use it later. For example I might wait a turn before healing one of my attackers whose health is still above fifty.

Top Bottom