TSG66 Opening Actions thread

Finally got all the DLC & expansion, so this is my first GotM. Apologies if TMI/insufficient notes
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :salute:

Best of luck in your game. :thumbsup:

Went two scouts first then pumping out settlers, with a worker and Stonehenge somewhere in the middle. Got extremely lucky with ruins, almost ridiculous. I think I got about 8-9, with two faith ruins giving me a very quick religion. I'm not sure why I went tradition, I immediately regretted it, but my first 4 cities are already quite well established. I still see room for a good 3-4 more cities, and since its archipelago I barely have to worry about the other AIs declaring war. Indo got a little bit pissy after I settled that 3 tile island to the east, but meh, wtv.

I built my first settler very quickly, perhaps too quickly, but I didn't realize how much space to expand I would have in this game. I wanted to go grab that island above Sidney before someone else did for its two unique luxes. Well, tbh, My first aim was to quickly try and grab a spot east of Antwerp before he grabbed that silk and nab it from him, along with the 3 fish, but I was too slow. Since I went religious idols, and realized Indonesia was directly due east, I wanted to grab that small island quickly before his borders expanded too much. The remaining cities were all for unique luxes, including my latest one all the way on the other side of the map by that crab and the GBR. I've been rolling in cash, which is a welcome change to some of my other games, and have been able to rush buy workshops, workers and alliance for most of the game. I've kind of delayed my science because I was hoping to grab djenne, but it was gone before I even grab the SP. I see many people going into piety, I decided to ignore it completely when I missed out on djenne, I hope it was the right decision. Finished tradition and I think im going to focus on city states, at least until some of the other ones open up.

My problem with emperor game is that i'm not focused enough. I guess the lower level of risk makes me play without having much priorities. I should really start focusing on the CV, and I completely missed out on several options that might of worked as I'm reading this thread. I went with religious centers because I figured I'd be having happiness problems, but with basically every new city settled near a new lux, and quickly allying with antwerp, i've been fine. Anyways, I definitely won't have as quick times as some people on here, but this is a fun, casual game. Here's some pics!

Attachments

• 2013-08-14_00001.jpg
    2013-08-14_00001.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 138
  • 2013-08-14_00002.jpg
    2013-08-14_00002.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 2013-08-14_00003.jpg
    2013-08-14_00003.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 2013-08-14_00004.jpg
    2013-08-14_00004.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 2013-08-14_00005.jpg
    2013-08-14_00005.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 98
I do not like the card that much, not a lot of good city spots, actually besides cap all are rather poor.

Map is perfect for sacred sites strategy i suppose, i did opt though not to go down the ICS sacred sites as presented in the strategy section of the forum.

Liberty > left side >> completed T 90 >> GE taken, used on CI T 100
Pottery > Writing > Mining > Masonry > Calendar
Monument > Worker > Shrine > GL > Settler > Granary > Cargo > Cargo >Scout >NC
Popped AH & Sailing in huts
T 41 >> Panthenon >> Religious Idols
T98 Religion > Pilgrimage & Cathedrals
T101 CI
T119 BOTH trade routes plundered … sigh
T116 Oracle
T 119 Edu
T 121 Borobodur >> was a mistake building it it seems a few turns later, religion spread too difficult on this map, fight for religion with Indonesia over the CS around our territory.
classical CV seems rather hard at this point, as Poland and Indonesia do produce an awesome amount of culture already early in the game.

Will see, but sub 300 seems difficult at this point.

This is also my first GOTM. Maybe this map appeals to people for some reason.

I was currently far past 100 turns when I found this thread, so I'll try to keep things kosher.

What did you consider in your decision of where to settle your capital?

The starting location was fine by me. I settled immediately.

What were your initial priorities?

I used the Polynesia UA to explore the map for goodie huts, as many others have done. However, I only used one Scout, preferring to focus on my capital. I built Scout - Worker - Granary, then Shrine I believe. I chose to focus on early wonders.

What tech path did you follow and why?

I went Pottery - Education - Mining. I managed Great Library using the Monument to the Gods pantheon belief and Aristocracy, used the free tech to buy Drama and Poetry, and then got Parthenon too. This seems to be a common strategy. I also got Hanging Gardens and Great Wall.

Were there any early wars and who started them?

There were no early wars.

How did you use your UU?

Not at all, other than the one you get for free.

Did you build Maoi, how many did you build?

I covered the east side of my starting island with them (every tile without something else important in it). However, I haven't been focusing culture all that often so I imagine some of them go unworked.

What differences did you have to consider in this game versus G&K?

Keeping my trade routes active has been a pain, as barbarians keep plundering them. Cargo ships are not easy to build, apparently. I have also been been trying to produce as many of the Cultural Great people as I can, of course.

I settled the island north of Antwerp (the one with Dyes and Copper) as Samoa. Tonga was at Gibraltar like many other players have done. My fourth city was eventually on the island just across the strait from Honolulu, as Indonesia had taken the island to the southeast of me. I settled my second city EXTREMELY late, probably far later than I should have, so I've fallen behind in the mid game so far. Maybe I can catch up. My biggest competition (culture-wise) is Morocco. I have been maintaining Open Borders and trade routes with all civs I could in order to increase Tourism. Pretty much every civ is friendly with me as a result.

Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Thanks for keeping things kosher. :)
You can always use the After Action thread, once you complete the game.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom