Two Completed Games Review

Silvtown

Chieftain
Hello all,

So I've managed to finish two BNW games. I am a 32 year old and don't have as much time for games as I used to, but I still make time for Civ. My settings are: random leader, random map, and for these two games I dropped from Immortal to Emperor. I was winning about half my games on Immortal in GnK and still learning how to survive the early AI rush. Here's how the two games went.

In my first game I got the Maya, who I hadn't used before despite using almost all the leaders up to this point. My start was good and I basically crushed it. The new systems were easy to learn and I had fun exploring the various options. I noticed a lack of aggression from the AI, but I didn't mind because I was trying to learn the new mechanics. Ultimately I got a diplomatic win right around turn 300, but could've gone science as well. It still feels a little cheesy to just purchase up all the city states for a win. I'd like to see city states become more expensive to buy as you advance to each new era.

In my second game I drew the Spanish. I went double scout, picked up a 500 gold bonus from a natural wonder, and got a second city out around turn 35. I ended up going domination, but my war skills are not very strong, so I wasn't conquering the other half of the map until turn 300. The game ended up going all the way to turn 460, and I won by spamming XCOMM units and dropping them on the battlefield (quite fun). I don't think I've ever had a game go over turn 350. It was fun to use the modern units, but I wish the AI (on emperor) would have made a stronger play for its own victory. Pedro was in the game and only needed two civs to flip for a culture victory, but that wasn't until nearly turn 400. Poland had about 24/32 votes for the diplomatic victory, but couldn't muster any more than that for almost 125 turns. The other civs weren't a threat because I had beaten them into submission.

Ultimately, the game is in great shape. I find it just as addicting as previous entries in the series. The new additions change it just enough to feel fresh and the implementation is excellent. One thing that I don't see people talking about is optimization - despite all the new calculations in the expansion, I think the turn times have gotten shorter since it came out. Gotta love that. I know if you're visiting CFC, you probably already have this game, but if not, GET IT. 4.5/5 :goodjob:

I always get a giggle when I see, my game hardly ever go over 300 turns. :) My games are just getting going on turn 300.

I agree with you, fun game. Even when Monty strolled over and wiped me out playing as Venice.

Top Bottom