Uhv?

I know this is not RFC, but it would be fun to have some in-game RFC-like unique "historical" victories. E.g. playing as Feyd you get a free golden age when you eliminate Atreides and one other opponent of the Harkonnen house, and a UHV when you accomplish something much harder but not equivalent to the usual conquest/domination/terraforming victories, e.g. vassalize 4 civs.

I have come across the idea of UHV, but I have never played RFC or other games which use it. Is there a list of existing UHV you can link to, as a source of ideas?

I think that historical victory bonus type things should only apply in scenarios. I don't think they're well-suited to random map play.

I don't think we should be imposing story-conditions in random-map play.

Let people play those voluntarily for role-play purposes if they like.

Well, RFC RAND (random map with UHV) works partly, because sometimes it's impossible to do certain things (e.g. find spice when there are no spice accessible), but Rhye modified the goals to make it suit a random map (e.g. the Russian goal was changed so that the Siberian cities are a certain distance away, rather than Siberia). The others still apply (found certain religions, get x amount of gold or culture, build certain wonders, etc) but are much harder due to the lack of terrain-specific resources like stone or marble.

The file Victory.py from RFC (download it from the most recent version) should give you a lot of ideas. Basically, you code it so that you check if certain conditions have been fulfilled, and if 2 out of 3 are done, a Triumphal Arch is built in the capital (whether AI or human), and a golden age starts.

You don't know ahead of time whether it'll be possible, and in fact, on the higher levels it may be impossible (e.g. to found certain religions). There's a column in the victory screen that lists whether you've achieved the 3 conditions (NO if the year passes and it's not fulfilled, Not Yet if the time limit hasn't been reached yet or if there's no time limit). E.g. if the AI founded Mahdi and it was up to Paul Atreides (the human player) to do it, you would have failed that condition. There's a little indicator also at the right lower corner where the scores are (next to each score), and shows the progress of getting 3 conditions. If any of them fails, it turns from white to grey.

Spoiler :

As I recall, the UHV also appear in the civilopedia for each civilization. They are also listed in the leader selection screen when starting a game.

I'm still holding onto the UHV idea since the novel is so well suited to being adapted to a series of historical events (or anti-historical events). Since the mod is being closer to "final" form as we speak, it would be fun to have a series of scenarios dictating certain UHV criteria for the player (just like the AOE series when you have to accomplish certain tasks to go onto the next stage). E.g.

1. Atreides' arrival on Arrakis (starts in the Seeds stage)--goals:
a. Get x number of spices in capital by year y
b. Eliminate certain Harkonnen bases (prebuilt) around your capital
c. OB with the Fremen (you have to get to them right at the edge of the map) by year z

2. Paul and Jessica's Hijra and conquest of Arrakis
a. start out with P (as a hardened bladesman) and J (as a Reverend Mother) running from a bombed out Arrakeen; when you reach the Fremen base (after killing some barb animals) you take over it (with certain techs and buildings prebuilt) and found Mahdi
b. Eliminate Corrino and Harkonnen from the map
c. spread Mahdi to x% of population

etc.

Top Bottom