[Vanilla] Under 40% of players have won a game (from Steam global achievements)

Loderingo

Warlord
I was looking at the global achievement stats on Steam and it is interesting that less than 40% of players have won the game. I guess quite a lot of players gave up due to the early bugs or just got bored waiting to the end. The stats per difficulty level are as follows:

Settler or higher - 39.3%
Chieftain or higher - 34.3%
Warlord or higher - 31.7%
Prince or higher - 28.3%
King or higher - 13.6%
Emperor or higher - 8.0%
Immortal or higher - 5.4%
Deity - 4.5%

The biggest drop off seems to be from Prince to King. For victory type the stats are as follows:

Culture - 21.5%
Science - 19.5%
Domination - 18.3%
Faith - 8.7%

Faith is the only one I haven't done yet myself. Not sure if it is harder or players just get bored. Looking at the % winning with each civ the stats are as follows:

Rome - 10.8%
Germany - 8.7%
America - 8.0%
China - 7.3%
Japan - 6.8%
Sumeria - 6.3%
Egypt - 6.3%
Russia - 6.3%
England - 5.8%
France - 5.7%
Scythia - 5.2%
Kongo - 5.0%
Gorgo - 4.7%
Aztec - 4.7%
Pericles - 4.4%
Arabia - 4.3%
Norway - 3.9%
Brazil - 3.7%
India - 3.5%
Spain - 3.2%

Australia - 2.8%
Poland - 1.9%
Macedon - 1.7%
Nubia - 1.4%
Persia - 1.3%
Indonesia - 0.6%
Khmer - 0.5%

Interesting to see that Faith based civs tend to be down the bottom. Also perceived weaker civs like Norway. France and Egypt are two that are higher up the list than I would have thought.

I'll be honest--i've seen very few games through to completion. I start a game trying to accomplish something, I either get that done or I don't, and I think of something else to try. I also almost never continue a game after being off of playing for a long time.

Doubtful it's bugs, as there really are no bugs preventing you from finishing the game. Lack of interest is probably the big reason. The game isn't for everyone. Another reason could be turn time (in between turn).

I'm surprised at the level of drop off to King level. I actually found King level not much more challenging than Prince. Hardly any difference really.

Poor Spain, even casual gamers can see they suck.

Or perhaps gamers don't want to waste any more time than necessary on an incomplete, buggy game. One where the AI is incompetent and unit sounds still cut out (almost a year after the game's release date).

Lol, a man can believe whatever he wants I guess....

Doubtful it's bugs, as there really are no bugs preventing you from finishing the game. Lack of interest is probably the big reason. The game isn't for everyone. Another reason could be turn time (in between turn).

I'm surprised at the level of drop off to King level. I actually found King level not much more challenging than Prince. Hardly any difference really.

Speaking for myself, it's lack of interest because of Civ6's bugs. Unit sounds clipping out. An AI that can't build nor use aircraft (a basic unit if there ever was one).

But all the rationlization defending Firaxis is amusing. So keep it up.

Moderator Action: Please do not troll the forums. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
i think i have finished 4-5 games whereas i have over 30 (its 55 i just looked) unfinished saves ill never play again

why?
I just dont want to click on next turn several times to get the endscreen, because i know the game is won

Unit sounds clipping out

I keep seeing mention of this, but I don't recall seeing this bug very often. I don't seem to notice it. I notice it more in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. That game has an issue with combat sounds clipping out, but is still considered a great game. A classic really.

i think i have finished 4-5 games whereas i have over 30 unfinished saves ill never play again

I'm pretty sure I have over 30 completed games at this point. Probably over 50. :D Many leaders I have at least 2 wins with, even lowly Spain (though I'll never play them again). Pericles might be the only one I have only played once, I prefer Gorgo. I have maybe 5 unfinished games.

For comparison, the relevant stats for Civ V - it's not an exact comparison, as the achievements are "Complete the game on X difficulty", and you don't automatically unlock the achievements for lower difficulties.

Settler - 13.6%
Chieftain - 22.4%
Warlord - 14.6%
Prince - 15.4%
King - 7.3%
Emperor - 4.4%
Immortal 2.4%
Deity - 2.0%

And for victory types:

Domination - 23.1%
Space - 19.6%
Culture - 16.2%
Diplomatic - 12.9%
Score - no achievement

Players not finishing games is not a problem unique to Civ VI.

Settler - 13.6%
Chieftain - 22.4%
Warlord - 14.6%
Prince - 15.4%
King - 7.3%
Emperor - 4.4%
Immortal 2.4%
Deity - 2.0%

Civ5 is such a tougher game than Civ6...

Should be noted that only ~80% have the have 6 improvement achievement, so there is about 20% of those that either are not even playing the game at all or playing offline.

"Have 6 improvements at once" was achieved by 81,1%. Which probably means that close to 20 % never actually played the game at all. Going through my Steam library, I have 15+ games I've played less than one hour or not at all. Some of them are probably awesome games that I will most likely enjoy when/if I play them. So I would not necessarily conclude that most players who never finished a game had issues with bugs or were bored towards the end-game.

I'd guess the majority of them haven't played the game at all or didn't quite get into it, and thus put it in the "meh, later"-catagory.

Doesn't mods prevent achievements ? Putting a mode on after trying out a few hours and sticking to it feels like a rather widespread habit in steam games.

Civ5 is such a tougher game than Civ6...

You'll find no disagreement from me. You can see that just comparing the Deity stats.

Should be noted that only ~80% have the have 6 improvement achievement, so there is about 20% of those that either are not even playing the game at all or playing offline.

The equivalent (i.e. easiest) achievement in Civ V is the one for finding an Ancient Ruin, with a 76.4% success rate, so Civ V has even more owners who have presumably never played the game.

Doesn't mods prevent achievements ? Putting a mode on after trying out a few hours and sticking to it feels like a rather widespread habit in steam games.

This was certainly the case in Civ V, but I don't think it is in Civ VI?

To tell you the truth , till rennaisance era its nice to play but after it becomes kinda boring and mediocre , you know where everyone is , no more exploration , settling is no longer matter , and game kinda drags till you get whatever win you want , or worst case by rennaisence its clear who is the winner, its just the formality to finish.

The equivalent (i.e. easiest) achievement in Civ V is the one for finding an Ancient Ruin, with a 76.4% success rate, so Civ V has even more owners who have presumably never played the game.

I don't think many of them are just not playing the game, I mean I have a ton of games in my library that I have never played, but those aren't typically AAA games (at least not until a few years after release). I think a large chunk is the offline players. Then I don't know how returns impact those stats. Players that didn't like it right away and then return are they in or out on those stats? Then I see these types of conversations pop up all over (where players aren't getting the easiest achievement) so I have to think that may have something to do with either key sellers or extra review copies. Depending on how those are treated on the Steamside of things they could make a significant impact on the "number of users" while not really being real users.

You’d be surprised at how many gamers grab every discounted game during Steam sales, only to leave them collect digital dust in their Steam libraries. Not defending Civ 6 or Firaxis, but it is a factor to consider.

Top Bottom