[GS] Under 40% of players have won a game - REVISITED

Loderingo

Warlord
In January 2018 I did a post looking at the number of people who have won the game from the Steam global achievement stats. I thought it would be a good time to review 14 months later and see what has changed:

Victory by difficulty

Mar 2019 (Jan 2018)

Settler or higher – 41.8% (39.3%)
Chieftain or higher – 35.9% (34.3%)
Warlord or higher – 33.2% (31.7%)
Prince or higher – 29.8% (28.3%)
King or higher – 14.3% (13.6%)
Emperor or higher – 8.5% (8.0%)
Immortal or higher – 5.7% (5.4%)
Deity – 4.7% (4.5%)

So the % completing the game has increased for all difficulty levels but only by 0.2% at Deity. The overall increase suggests that either some of the original purchasers have come back to the game or that new purchasers have been more dedicated to playing it.

It is worth noting that the highest % achievement for having 6 improvements has increased from 81.1% to 85.4%. Although that’s still 15% of purchasers who have never even properly played the game.

Victory by type

Mar 2019 (Jan 2018)

Culture – 22.6% (21.5%)
Science – 21.9% (19.5%)
Domination – 21.2% (18.3%)
Religion – 9.7% (8.7%)
Diplomacy – 1.3%

Science and Domination have both increased and have closed the gap on Culture. Still fewer than 10% have won a religious victory

Original civs

Mar 2019 (Jan 2018)

Rome – 11.0% (10.8%)
Germany – 9.4% (8.7%)
America – 8.4% (8.0%)
China – 8.1% (7.3%)
Sumeria – 7.3% (6.3%)
Egypt – 7.0% (6.3%)
Japan – 7.0% (6.8%)
Russia – 6.7% (6.3%)
Victoria – 6.2% (5.8%)
Catherine – 6.1% (5.7%)
Kongo – 5.2% (5.0%)
Scythia – 5.2% (5.2%)
Aztec – 5.1% (4.7%)
Gorgo – 5.0% (4.7%)
Pericles – 4.9% (4.4%)
Arabia – 4.4% (4.3%)
Norway – 4.1% (3.9%)
Brazil – 4.0% (3.7%)
Gandhi – 3.5% (3.5%)
Spain – 3.4% (3.2%)

All of the original civs have seen their victory % increase except for Scythia and Gandhi. The civs seeing the biggest increases in victory % are Sumeria and China. The more religious focused civs still tend to languish near the bottom.

DLC civs

Mar 2019 (Jan 2018)

Australia – 3.7% (2.8%)
Macedon – 2.4% (1.7%)
Poland – 2.2% (1.9%)
Nubia – 2.1% (1.4%)
Persia – 1.8% (1.3%)
Indonesia – 1.4% (0.6%)
Khmer – 1.0% (0.5%)

Australia has seen its victory % increase the most and has now gone past Gandhi and Spain

Rise and Fall civs

Korea – 3.1%
Cree – 2.1%
Netherlands – 1.8%
Scotland – 1.8%
Mongolia – 1.5%
Zulu – 1.2%
Mapuche – 0.9%
Georgia – 0.8%
Chandragupta – 0.7%

There’s quite a wide range for the R&F civs. Korea has almost caught up with Spain but Mapuche and Georgia have poor win %s. India could do with some love from the devs as it rates poorly with both leaders!

Gathering Storm civs

Eleanor – 0.9%
Inca – 0.8%
Sweden – 0.8%
Maori – 0.8%
Canada – 0.6%
Hungary – 0.5%
Mali – 0.5%
Phoenicia – 0.5%
Ottomans – 0.5%

A month on from launch, all the GS civs have reasonable win %s and look set to overtake the weakest R&F civs in the near future. It shouldn’t be too surprising that Eleanor is coming out on top as she has one achievement for both England and France. Canada has a reasonable win % despite being seen as a weak civ.

It seems to me that GS is probably doing better than R&F as an expansion.

Adding up the win % for each leader, I make it that of the 40% who have won the game it works out at on average about 3 wins each! Looking at my own stats I have played 333 hours and have 7 actual wins (although obviously quite a few games not finished).

The highest scenario win % is 1.2% for Stanislaw Potocki in Jadwiga’s legacy

Bear in mind that winning a game with mods enabled doesn't count, so many of the 60% could be active players who always use mods.

I am curious which eleanor is more popular. Are people favoring one civ more than the other with her?

sadly the stats will never indicate how many people "won" the game before they crossed the official finish line, and decided to start a new game.

Man, I know hes basically just another dom civ but Chandragupta is terribly underrated. His UA turns the Varu into wrecking balls. I don't think India needs a buff with him.

Really neat statistics though.

Funnny how the old civ replacement leader in RF, Chandragupta, is the least popular, but Eleanor is the most in GS.

I think this shows how much these boards are not representative of the players who play the game. Anyone visiting these boards or going on youtube would think the majority of people play on Deity, when reality is different.

Well there's a reason this place is called CivFanatics Lol.
The hardcore players here abide,
Elusive vict'ries cannot hide.
The game on King just ain't enough,
The saying's true: some like it rough. ;)

I think this shows how much these boards are not representative of the players who play the game. Anyone visiting these boards or going on youtube would think the majority of people play on Deity, when reality is different.

Yeah, I think we may as well stop asking for better AI and stuff. Firaxis will look at the numbers and see it's not worth it.

Well, I've always known this to a degree. Most friends from outside of here are mostly casual and play below prince. And they demand to turn off barbs and don't want the low level AI attacking them.... at this point I wonder why we even have AI opponents.

Nobody really cares about high difficulties. Hell, I post all this crap here and I don't care.

Of course, it should be known that some people don't finish games though due to the late game being boring. So players are probably a bit better than the stats would suggest.

In comparison, Civ V has 2.5% of the people winning the game on deity, 5.3% on Emperor, and 18.2% on Prince.

Man, I know hes basically just another dom civ but Chandragupta is terribly underrated. His UA turns the Varu into wrecking balls. I don't think India needs a buff with him.

Really neat statistics though.

I don't know if India needs a power boost but I definitely think they need a bit of wow factor. it doesn't help that they are so faith focused. I'm sure if Chandra was an alternate leader for Rome or Egypt, he would have had a much higher win %

Funnny how the old civ replacement leader in RF, Chandragupta, is the least popular, but Eleanor is the most in GS.

They simply did a better job at making the new civs more interesting this time, those we got in GS just stand out vastly more compared to most of the older civs.

Yeah, I think we may as well stop asking for better AI and stuff. Firaxis will look at the numbers and see it's not worth it.

Well, this time I saw the poor AI being mentioned in many reviews, so it's certainly noticeable to a lot of people.

This is surprising on many levels.

- If you want an easy win with any civ just create a duel map and select a weak AI opponent without strong early units.

- Aztec and Gorgo are below Catherine? WTF? Aztec and Gorgo are a blast and my favorite civs up there with Rome, China, Macedon, Sumeria, Russia.
- Diplomacy – 1.3% Oops my bad, not surprised at all at the most boring victory type ever. Get to work on making that more exciting please, Firaxis. Nothing like waiting around 30 turns because you missed the latest vote by 1pt. :vomit:

- Canada ahead of Mali and Hungary. I find Canada almost as boring as a diplomacy victory... :sleep:

Top Bottom