Undertale: this thread is filled with determination

Ailedhoo

wonderer

This thread will serve as the prime Undertale thread for discussing one of the best RPGs to come out.

Intro to the game

Link to video.

Undertale is a RPG developed, published and produced by Toby Fox (who created the Earthbound hack "The Halloween Hack " and produced the music for Homestuck). The game is set in a world of humans and monsters, in which the monsters have been banished into a underground. You control a human who fell down a hole near Mt. Ebbot, which legends has it that those who attempted to climb it never return. You arrive on a bed of flowers and get up, beginning a adventure to seek a way out in which you will meet strange beings and places.

The game prides itself in that you do not have to kill; you can talk your way out of battles (a feature inspired by Shin Tensei Megami) and even befriend the bosses. Your decisions whether to go pacifist, murderer or between will impact your progression and story; you can only gain exp through killing, so those taking a pacifist route may expect a additional challenge.

Undertale's encounters is set in Earthbound first-person style but the twist that in addition to the attack option you can perform a act to interact with the monsters you face and have the potential to spare them. Attacking will involve timed attacks akin to the Super Mario RPGs, while defending set you in a style reminiscent of top-down shooters.

In addition the game, as I found, as one of the best writing a video game process; it has great characterisation, excellent humour (especially from the skeleton brothers Sans and Papyrus), a sinister undertone (violence has consequences) and powerful meta narrative.

The game also process a great music score by Toby Fox and its artstyle allows for interesting designs in a colourful world.

It also has dogs: lots of dogs.

O and you can also date a skeleton.

Spoiler Policy

Spoilers in spoil box; the game is best enjoyed when one goes in for a fresh experience and thus it is a good practice to avoid spoiling. If you played the game and want to talk about elements without spoiling it for new players then consider chatting in boxes. For instance:

Spoiler around the start spoiler :
The surprise one gets during the meeting with Flowey.

Purchase Details

For those interested in buying or trying the demo here is the main site.

The game is also available for purchase through Steam or the Humble Bundle.

Additional Links

The wiki
(warning: Undertale is a story heavy game; you may want to avoid reading this till you completed the endings.)

The Something Awful thread

Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Adam Smith on Undertale's universal appeal

The Jimquisition review

Toby Fox's tumbler.

-will add more links later on-

Overall

Try the game and if you played it share your experiences with us here.

Enjoy

...and remember: stay determined!

The first time I heard of this game I was told to try and avoid spoilers, and so I haven't read much on it

I've been interested in it, but I don't think I'm willing to buy it until it goes on sale on steam

I really like the game and my girlfriend is greatly intrigued after watching me play it since she's all about old school RPG video games. I think I'll get it for her for Xmas.

What is the appeal of this game?

Oh it's just an old school type RPG that is pretty hilarious at times. Mostly nostalgia stuff but what seems different from the old style RPG's is that you don't have to kill anyone or anything but 'act' at them. You could beat an enemy by flexing at them or petting them but whether taking a pacifist or genocide route, when an enemy 'attacks' there are these minigames where you have to manually avoid their attacks from hitting your 'soul' or the heart icon within the white box.

I played like a normal playthrough

There was an enemy type in the beginning of the game that didn't seem like it could be talked to, so I ended up killing those. Not sure how I could have survived the rest of the game without the hp I gained from that.

Anyway, my verdict is that the game mechanics are fun and the dialogue is pretty witty, so it's a pretty good game based of that. But I didn't get any "the feels" until the penultimate boss battle

Top Bottom