Unexplored lands shows as "clouds"

-PET-

Chieftain
Hello there,

I just noticed in some previews that the undexplored land is no longer BLACK. It's actually white, like some clouds.

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? I mean one of the best things I loved was starting the Civ V game and exploring. Yea I can still do that, but black had a special feeling for me. Black means the "unknown". Black wants me to not be black.

Hard to explain what I have in mind but ... anyone?

As explained on one of the gameplay streams, the developers found black to be too negative. Clouds are a bit less 'abyssal' :)

If you have the graphics on low (or maybe a setting?) you get black instead of white clouds. There was a picture somewhere.

lol. Found that "to negative". Cut the psychologic :):):):).

Moderator Action: It appears the your triggered the auto censor. "Swear" are not permitted here and most of them show up as smilies. If your final post shows any, you should edit your post to avoid them. Thanks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

It suposed to be negative. You are a new civilization. YOu need to explore. Now I see clouds and I'm thinking about heaven.

The cloud effect scales with processor power, according to a talk they gave at GDC.

It's probably one of the first things I'll turn off to gain performance ;)

Like others have said there is a black unexplored setting.

lol. Found that "to negative". Cut the psychologic :):):):).

It suposed to be negative. You are a new civilization. YOu need to explore. Now I see clouds and I'm thinking about heaven.

Er, actually, it's supposed to reflect a positive, upbeat view, the same way the art deco style used for the unit icons is supposed to represent a feeling of progress, and moving forward.

Yeah, I like the clouds. Even if the whole map was explored in previous games, I still got the feeling that I was playing at night. Think of the clouds as a way to mitigate fatigue while playing at 3 am.

Its just clouds :p

its not that bad... you can also call this fog as they did in live stream :)

but if someone is disturbed by it i think you can mod it your self with mod tools.. its not that hard to change textures.

I'm sure someone will mod in "Ominous Clouds"* perhaps with lightning flashes just to give exploration an extra bit of excitment.

*Serious! Someone should do this just because it'd be fun. ;)

Hello there,

I just noticed in some previews that the undexplored land is no longer BLACK. It's actually white, like some clouds.

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? I mean one of the best things I loved was starting the Civ V game and exploring. Yea I can still do that, but black had a special feeling for me. Black means the "unknown". Black wants me to not be black.

Clouds/blackness whats the difference.

Besides you can always put it on a lower graphics setting to reintroduce the wall of black.

I love the clouds, it definetely fits in well with the whole optimistic, looking to the future art deco feel. I'm not sure if this is good/bad but it does kinda make you feel like a god. Controlling your civilization from the heavens above the clouds... Or is that just me? :)

indeed, but if your a crazy person and you want the clouds, this is the default option, however all of us sensible people will turn on ultra low graphics settings and get some much peffered awesome looking black cubes (but in a hex, Hexoids?) that covers the unseen land.

Hello there,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj84tfS7ag4&feature=related

Sorry I just couldn't help myself. :lol:

Clouds or no. "Here be dragons" still apply!

Hello there,

Moderator Action: *snip* Clouds are better than black. I think that was an amazing design decision...

Top Bottom