Uninstalling Civ4

Midnight-Blue766

The filidh that cam frae Skye
I've finally decided to reinstall CIV, but I'm having trouble uninstalling Vanilla. I've uninstalled Civ4Col and BTS without a problem, but when I try to uninstall Vanilla, I get this.

Code:
Error Code:	-5004 : 0x80041f42
Error Information:
*C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\12\00\Intel32\iKernel.dll
>inc\CoCreate.cpp (44)
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1390)
PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4
PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (##IDS_PRODUCT_URL##)
PGUID:CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8
$11.0.0.28844
@Windows  Service Pack 1 (6001) BT_OTHER 55636.23

Windows installer error probably due to corrupted registry.
First backup everything.
You could manually delete Civ 4 then use regedit to search for all civ 4, fraxis games entries in the registry (find, find next) and delete them (can take time and is risky if you delete the wrong entries) when they're all deleted uninstall Windows SP1 and then reinstall (best way to clean up and reset the registry) and then install civ.

A Registry cleaner may fix it but they rarely do and can make it impossible to uninstall service packs.

Often the simplest and quickest way to fix the registry is to do a fresh install of windows.

Okay, I just ran the registry cleaner, but it seems that it didn't do anything.

Also, it seems that the BTS stuff in My Games was not uninstalled. How do I get rid of this?

So... what about the registry cleaner?

So... what about the registry cleaner?

You tried it, didn't work and to be honest I've never known them too. The only one I use is CCleaner, to remove unused and old registry entries on some machines, but its not meant for this job and they don't claim that it is.

I have two methods, the first I try when I have situations for example when there are Legacy programs installed that a client needs but doesn't have an install disc say.
The second method I use when ever I can because its a whole lot easier.
The first is about 90% successful the second is 100% successful.
Before you start Backup all your documents, pictures and so on. save the bookmarks on the browsers and passwords and back them up. Download your drivers from the hardware manufactures sites, download the latest service Pack from Microsoft and make sure you can recover the O/S, like a Image or a recovery partition or a disc and so on.

Method 1. Right click and delete all files related to civ
In My Games and the Firaxis Games folder in program files (or where ever you've installed it.)
Then click Run and type regedit and click OK this launches the registry editor.
Click Edit>Find and type Fraxis, click find next.
It searches the registry for any entries with fraxis,
carefully check and delete any entry that is found,
then press F3 key to find next and work through the whole registry deleting all fraxis entries.
Then do the same but search for Civ and BTS and any other possible reference to the game you can think of, warlords for example and so on.
Then when your sure you've got it all or at least most of it, Uninstall the latest Service Pack you have installed on your system (SP1 I think it is on your system), then reinstall it, using the installer you downloaded earlier, this has the effect of refreshing the registry so its clean, and reinstall the game.

Method 2. Do a fresh install of the operating system.

There's only one problem: the only registry with Firaxis in it seems to be Civilization III.

EDIT: I decided to go ahead installing CIV Complete anyways, and I can play perfectly. Thanks.

There's only one problem: the only registry with Firaxis in it seems to be Civilization III.

EDIT: I decided to go ahead installing CIV Complete anyways, and I can play perfectly. Thanks.
Not a problem then, sorted.

Just thinking of people who might read this thread when having similar problems:
Checking through the registry with Regedit.exe in situations like this is much better than running a registry cleaner because you get a clearer picture of the registry, Civ 4 had no entries, only civ 3, so an install was tried and it worked, a registry cleaner is a pretty dumb tool in this respect.

Top Bottom