Unique Builiding Elimination Thread

Pyramid 35
Stele 34

You don't need a Shrine if you have the Stele. The Stele comes so early due to Tradition/being available on Turn 1. Even at half price your first building takes quite a few turns to get down, and the Pyramid incurs maintenance. The early Faith generation matters so much because terrain and ruins (and the AI starting with Pottery) make the early Faith game pretty brutal. The Pyramid just doesn't help early enough to be decisive. The Stele does.

Pyramid 29
Stele 36

The Stele is buffed by a full tradition opening. The Pyramid is buffed by the first 2 policies of a piety opening. I think I'll take the standard game with a free mega religion on the side, please.

Pyramid 27
Stele 34

The piety opener is enough to make pyramids rather powerful. Just make sure you aim for pottery as first tech. Combine with liberty to collective rule and the very first thing I build is the pyramid which would only take about 5 turns or something. Stele does offer religion to Ethiopia rather swiftly but the Maya would eventually catch to found a religion earlier straight after Ethiopia or just before due to my plan as the Maya.

Pyramid 32
Stele 19

As I said before, +2 science +1 faith >> +2 faith. If I could exchange 1 faith pt for 2 science in-game, I would never even consider getting a religion.

Pyramid 29
Stele 20

+2 science is nice, but by the time you get a pyramid, Ethiopia can be half-way to a NC and 40 bpt. It takes a lot longer to get to 40 culture/faith per turn than beakers, so the +2 culture +2 faith is a lot more useful, especially as the culture lets you get those early social policies early AND an early religion. Can lead to a pretty insane capital.

Pyramid 31
Stele 14
Science is the king. Pottery is usually my first tech anyway, so there's not much of a time gap.

Pyramid 28
Stele 15

Giving Stele a boost primarily because it is buffed by tradition and guarantees you an early religion
Pyramids well, they are very useful, but early game if I had the choice between library and faith generator, I'm gonna go with the library because it pays off in the long run.

The Stele is powerful early game and remains so late game (culture to finish off Rationalism + Faith to rush-buy Great Scientists? Yes, please!)

I don't know what you mean, as Stele gives exactly 0 extra culture compared to an ordinary Monument. Science benefit from a bit faster Great Scientists (bonus faith is far too little to give you even one more GS) is negligible in comparison to raw beakers from Pyramid.

I don't know what you mean, as Stele gives exactly 0 extra culture compared to an ordinary Monument. Science benefit from a bit faster Great Scientists (bonus faith is far too little to give you even one more GS) is negligible in comparison to raw beakers from Pyramid.

Except for one you can get the Stele for free with no maintenance, and secondly the +2 science is insignificant by turn 40, whereas +2 faith is significant for some time, especially as it gives you your religion extremely quickly.

Except for one you can get the Stele for free with no maintenance, and secondly the +2 science is insignificant by turn 40, whereas +2 faith is significant for some time, especially as it gives you your religion extremely quickly.
Of course extra science is still significant by turn 40. Very significant even, as it also creates snowball effect by making you reach Writing and Philosophy faster, which means more science, which means getting Education earlier - more science etc.
Also, Stele + Shrine is only +1 faith compared to Monument + Pyramid. Not long-lasting or game-changing at all.

You can get ahead in the tech race without any kind of aid. You can't do so in the religion race.

This statement is a bit strange.

If by "aid" we mean all sources of faith other than shrines/temples, we mean early available Piety, 10+ various faith pantheons, Sinai/Uluru/Sri Pada/Mt Fuji/this fifth natural wonder, Stonehenge/Haghia Sophia, Great Temple, ruins or religious city - states.

If by "aid" we mean all sources of science other than basic science buildings/population, we talk about Great Library, National Academy, Reef/Krakatau or Messenger of Gods pantheon. So... IMHO there are more possibilities to get extra faith than extra science.

Yeah, there is some base science while there is no basic faith, but to balance that science is absolutely essential in this game while faith is still second - tier cool bonus.

So, yeah, for me +2science +1 faith is superior to +2 faith.

Top Bottom