Unique Promotions Mechanic

Switchblock

Kuriotate Scholar
I was playing as the Bannor today and I realised how useful the Chain of Command could be, but I thought of a differant promotions mechanic that I would rather have.

My thoughts are that units who gain expertice in a certain field (ex. City Garrison) would want to grant their expertise to new units. My thought is that for certain promotions once you reach the third tier with a unit, that unit could "settle" in a city and teach all units built in that city the first tier of that promotion.

So if I train a Longbowman up to City Garrison III, I could settle the unit in his city so all supsequent units would recieve City Garrison I.

The following promotions are the ones that I thought could work with this mechanic:

City Garrison
City Raider
Flanking
Navigation (add Promo Navigation III)
Sentry
Tactics

I had thought about Guerilla and Woodsman, but seeing as Woodsman has been converted to FoL, and both would require an added promotion, I thought that they might not be the best candidates.

I would not suggest that this system be implemented for all Civs, I thought it could be added onto an existing civ to give a little more flavour. I was thinking that the Austrin might be good candidates and require an Exploration Guild to settle a unit in a city, but other civs could easily use it.
Another idea would be to give it to the Kuriotates to make up for their limited cities for unit production, the idea being let their units start stronger to make up for less of them.

I had thought about using this as an Amurite feature using Spell promotions and not require settling an Archmage, and then taking away Govannon's ability to teach other units, but I thought that might be too big of a change.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I haven't played the dural recently(since the latest overhaul), but some sort of mechanic like this might be interesting for them, since they are built around the idea of teaching.

Edit: I'd almost suggest rather than having it give city def 1(etc.)--since unlocking the later promotions earlier is a big boost, have it give a unique promotion(city defense training or something) that gives a lesser effect along those lines perhaps(could give 10% city def or so--can always play with the amount it gives for balance).

If you do it this way, could add drill and combat(and have it give a first strike chance and 10% power respectively or so)--but require say level 4 for these.

another quibble: some of those, city garrison and defender maybe others are really easy to get, it's possible to get all 3 right out of production.

Weel City Garrison and City Raider require the Warfare tech, I believe Flanking requires another tech (combat I or Drill I), Tactics requires some other techs.

Perhaps the buildings could be national wonders? Basicly I'm trying to make a situation where you have to choose between have a really good defneder/raider/etc. and starting your units it out experienced.

Just because the promotions only need level four units, there is no reason not to require higher unit level in order to teach.

Maybe archery range for a "defender" civ gives CG I? And training yard for "aggressive" civ gives CR I?

Top Bottom