Unit Adjustment mod-mod

It's not so much bugs in lua as activating, finishing, or polishing some mod features. And then also bugs within that or to maintain compatibility with other popular mods.

Most of the changes or fixes needed to things like units or buildings or policies that remain and can be done are xml or sql changes, which most anyone can do. But which sometimes still cause errors or bugs if not done correctly.

Precisely, much better way of describing the situation.

When you consider what this mod actually does and what it is comprised of, you must stand back in awe. Given that most of CivV code was lifted from CivIV and then teams of programmers, apparently never talking with each other, added in bits and pieces for the initial release. Add to that the same sets of teams then did 2 expansions and numerous DLCs it's no wonder the end result is not a homologous program but rather more like a Frankenstein's monster. Code that works for one yield, for instance, doesn't work for others, or buildings, traits, beliefs that use a specific table to handle something that should have been using a globally accessible table so other functions can use the results.

That's where this mod and it's predecessors come in.
They set about to unify a whole collection of functions into something easier to handle, add functionality where it was lacking, provide a better UI experience, make more logical balance decisions, etc.
All the while using existing code from other mods or writing specific code that now may be out-dated or generally patching up the walking hulk of a beast that is CivV.

YieldLibrary.lua is the best example. A unifiying code to pool all yields into one location so all functions can access it as they would for the yield they originally were coded for. Unfortunately it is still in need of work. As mentioned 2 expansions later and newer functions that make a lot of the sql/xml code work rely on accurate values from yields, and we aren't 100% there yet.

Stackpoint should be praised at this point. Looking through other people's code and trying to determine what they were intending to do, and then correct the functionality to use the latest expansion is an awesome task. Well done stack.:goodjob:

If you really want to try your hand, look through the issues in GitHub, most of what you will find involves, in part or whole, fixing lua. YieldLibrary is still by far my greatest concern. Part-time hackers like skodkim and I can't rely on our sql/xml code doing what we want if the underlying lua functions don't work as intended.
Closely related to that are the numerous modded vanilla files that display those values. Some don't tally correctly or update correctly or even show up correctly. Take your pick.
All that I know about programming is self taught, and that is my downfall. I can't think like a programmer. It's one thing to read it and see a mistake, it is a completely different task to have a thing you want to do and then design and code a function to do it. That I can't do. That's the sort of skill level needed to tackle these tasks.

@ExpiredReign:

You mentioned you work on other mods as well. What mods do you use alongside CEP?

Since CEP isn't really going anywhere at the moment, I'd be interested in finding out about other mods that add to the game.

@ExpiredReign:

You mentioned you work on other mods as well. What mods do you use alongside CEP?

Since CEP isn't really going anywhere at the moment, I'd be interested in finding out about other mods that add to the game.

Well "work on other mods" isn't really an accurate description. At best I bug-test and provide input for the actual modders, I'm not actually active with any other team at the moment.

The mods that I can't be without are: 'City-State Diplomacy' and the 'Enhanced User Interface'. After CSD gets the latest version through beta I will be looking at seeing which of WHoward's mods I can use to build my ideal setup.

I'm, believe it or not, a bit of a minimalist. I don't like overhauls as much as tweaks to the existing code. Therefore the mods I will be looking at tend to do small things well.
Additionally, since most of the last year has been testing and bug fixing, I haven't really tried anything new, I like to keep the game I'm using as minimal as possible to make it easier to pinpoint where problems occur.

There are some great modders out there. I like the work 'lockstep' has done. Aristos has taken robk's great work, InfoAddict, and made Global Relations. FramedArchitect is another great modder, you could look at his work.
Of course there are modders that work more with the DLL like whoward69, Gedemon & Gazebo. All of whom I consider to be artists in their fields. Others I could mention like DonQuiche, killmeplease, alpaca, sneaks & attilla. Not all are still as active as they once were, but there work is still good.

Then there are the new-civ creators. I don't always use new-civs, but I have a liking to 'Colonialist Legacies', probably because they made a really good Australian civ.

Lastly, although I'm not sure which mods they have contributed to, Nutty, Pazyryk, Irkalla, Leugi & Putmalk are, IMO, some of the most skilled on this forum and I make it a point to read anything they post, and try to learn as much as I can from them.

I've probably missed someone, so this is not an exhaustive list.

What it boils down to is: I joined Thalassicus because VEM/CivUP/GEM/CEP was the one mod that was tackling the things that I thought needed tackling. ALL my knowledge and skills, limited as they are, were gained AFTER I joined him.
I basically owe a lot to Thal and want to see this mod continue, but I am aimless without experienced heads like him and those on this forum that provide input, mystikx21 & Ahriman, in particular.

I'm trying to use the latest builds of the CEP parts in your first post, but only CEG unpacks, the others get ignored by CIV, and I can't open them with 7-Zip either. Could they be incorrectly zipped?

There's no problem on my end with them unpacking. Possibly an error in the upload to DropBox, I've re-sent them so that they should be fine now.

I was able to download and unzip them, yes.

Top Bottom