Unit: Clipper (Oct 1st, 2004)

aaglo

Furioso!
Hi, long time no sea (units from me).

Here are two versions of clipper ship - the 19th century grand merchant ship.

Here's the bit more 'realistic' version (blank sails).
Clipper

... and here is the bit more 'civ3-like' version (sails with blue stripes).
ClipperAlt

UPDATE!
I noticed that there is a flaw in the run animation in both ships - the jib-sails (those 'lanteen' sails between the masts) movement during the run-anim is completely wrong. Sorry about the mistake :)
Here are the correct run animations for both ships:
Updated run animations

Attached are a run-demo of the clipper (ClipperDemo.gif), and samples of the civilopedia pics (Clippers.gif).

Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• Clippers.gif
    Clippers.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 3,455
Yay, looks wonderfull!
been waiting for this one for a while, could do with a steam powered upgrade, but I'm certainly not going to complain. :)

Here we go again. Man these ships of yours are great aaglo. Thanks again.

:goodjob: .

Aaglo,

Yet another beautiful addition to our Civ oceans. My ancient seas would be pretty empty if it were not for your varied, beautiful, and numerous creations (this is me being both truthful and also buttering you up some as well).

Are you open to taking requests at the moment? I have a couple of pictures of a Totora reed boat from South America. Some archeologists believe that the Tiwanaku Pyramids were built in part by huge stone blocks, some weighing up to 40 tons, that were shipped 90 kilometers across Lake Titicaca on these reed boats. The prow (I think that is what the front is called?) of the boat had the head of an animal or bird on it, made out of reeds as well. The picture of the scale model has the head of a condor on it, which was a powerful symbol for the people of this pre-Incan civilization.

In 2002, archeological reconstructionists successfully built a totora reed boat and ferried a huge stone block across the lake. In addition, other archeological reconstructionists built the "Viracocha" a 20-ton reed ship, and sailed it from Chile to the Easter Islands. A "Viracocha II" is currently either being built or has been completed. I believe the plan is to sail from the Easter Islands to Australia.

I know that reed boats were used also in Egypt, and probably in other parts of the ancient world. A reed ship would be a much needed, and much appreciated, addition to the ancient maritime Civ community. If you were interested in doing this, I would be forever in your debt, and I would be glad to do any and all research that you would need throughout this project.

Attachments

• Totora Scale Model.jpg
    Totora Scale Model.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 489
  • Totora Reed Boat.jpg
    Totora Reed Boat.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 457
I was just thinking yesterday that we had seen nothing new from you for a while. I was worried. Hooray - you're back! Beautiful ship!

It's great aaglo. My civ-oceans of all eras would be much emptier without yur units.

Dom Pedro II said:
Hamina... hamina... hamina... hamina....

Ok, here it is (an aerial photo of the town Hamina. The name Hamina means harbor.)

Notice the unusual city plan :)

Wonderful unit aaglo!! :clap::clap:
Here is a short civilopedia entry:

Clipper ships were born in the shipyards of Baltimore around 1820. They had completely new and original naval characteristics. These included a long and narrow hull, a sharp, cutting bow, a low freeboard, a streamlined stern, and a deep draft.

Where can we insert the Clipper in the upgrade line? Between Galleon and Transport? I also don't imagine the tech and the stats of this unit

Looks great.

If I were to start a rumour now about your retirement, would I be exaggerating/thinking wishfully? ;)

Top Bottom