Unit Maker of the Month, December 2008 jury thread

Who should be the Unit Maker of the Month, December 2008?

• Hikaro Takayama (Sandris) - US Infantry c.a. 1895-1905

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Gary Childress (Balou) - WW II German Rifleman MP44

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Imperator1961 (Sandris, Camj) - French Musketeer mid 17th C

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Wyrmshadow - Polish Winged Hussar

Votes: 17 28.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flamand

The Visible Elder!
This really sucks... I'm completely torn on who to vote for :(

I really like Gary's unit, HT's is sorely needed in one of my favorite scenarios, we've got a unit that owns the crap out of the standard Civ musketeer, and finally a unit I've been asking for for a very long time (that is correct in every aspect I nitpicked over on the others).

So after much deliberation I voted for the Hussar.

While I really like the other units (and use them as well), the sheer complexity and skill of the Hussar won my vote.

I would have voted for the African musketeer with its 4 attacks. :( The Hussar though, is a beautiful piece of work.

Well I couldn't let just 3 guys have all the fun for the last contest of the year. Now could I?

The hussar was very good so I voted and the others were still good but the hussar is pure brillance!

Man, I might as well have entered one of the Final Fantasy units I made for all the good that entering a much-requested historical unit did me this month :lol:

Hikaro: I appreciate your work and voted for it primarily because it was such an original unit. I suspect that many people who vote for the others do so because of the wonderful little fidgets, lifelike death animes, etc. that the others have added to their units. The bent spear is a great touch on the Polish Hussar, for example. I have an immediate (sort of- by spring probably) use for your unit, which colors my opinion of it; I suspect that's true of others as well. But, (I say this as a friend) however it comes out, don't complain* about it - these days that's only allowed for rehab patients and Republicans. I would note that my best work never won any awards.

*the strongest word I'm apparently allowed to use

Seriously, I don't care it's just that I'm laughing at the irony here: People told me that if I entered a historical-based infantry unit, I'd be sure to get a lot of votes...

I'd like to collect some running bets I had on that issue now: This is less votes than I usually get for my Fantasy units. :p

Oh I've learned long ago to ignore suggestions from the Peanut Gallery and I'm much less stressed out because of it. And remember how 'annoyed' I was a year ago that my Veritech didn't do too well against a crossbowman???

Are you sure the request wasn't historical-based fantasy units?

Who knows.... Point is that I, personally, liked the Mithra Sniper or Viera Assassin much better, but I decided to enter this historical unit of mine as an experiment: i.e. to see if it really would make a difference.

I'm rather satisfied that it didn't, so from now on I'll enter whatever I like best and hell with the consequences. :D

Still, I was genuinely :lol: at the results so far.... I have a really twisted sense of humor (as many of those following the Final Fantasy mod project have figured out by now).

Anyone who shows me some movie clips with the unit gets my vote ... and they was good clips.

...historical-based...

But look at what your up against... :) Sometimes fantasy gets the vote just for variety.... which makes me think, ever considered making an lotr unit?? Just like.. an ork or something..

Wow! :eek: Talk about competitions! I started out on a good lead, then got passed up by Wyrmshadow and Imperator and now have picked up a few more votes to get closer to Wyrmshadow. This is a real rollercoaster ride! Kinda fun! :cool:

I am surprised Hikaro hasn't gotten more votes though. I really think his unit is well done. Although, I voted for Wyrmshadow because I know what a Biatch it is to do something like that in Bryce. I once tried a human unit in Bryce and gave up pretty quick. :eek:

This is completely OT, but looking at Imperator's unit, I'm reminded once again how incredibly snazzy those 17th Century French Musketeers were.... If I could find a (reasonably) priced replica of such an outfit (or at least the cool hat), I'd buy it in an instant. :D

This is an uncommonly well matched contest. The quality from top to bottom is really too close to call, all are deserving of accolades. I have to give an extra nod to Wyrmshadow because of the extra pain he goes through to animate humans in Bryce. :hatsoff: Very impressive work from any tool, especially so from a still image and vehicle animation program,

I tried to pick it on merit, but I just was not able to... should be it this one for the extra good texturing, that one for the really cool fidget, etc... so, I voted simply based on which unit I personally "like" the most for no apparent reason that was Hikaro's.

Top Bottom