Unit Making Tutorial by utahjazz7 (May 9, 2005)

I load up the figure, conform it to the PDM, zero it in the Joint Editor, check that its translation/rotation settings are all at 0, and then click on each part in turn, also checking that their translation/rotation settings are all at 0.

I also do the same, but for some reason, I can't get the robes to conform correctly to the standard PDM figure and I also often get odd results with other clothing props for the improved PDM figure. Parts of the robe figure still goes through the PDM. What I've been doing so far is simply assigning materials to exposed parts and coloring the same as the clothing prop. It still looks a bit awkward, however.

hello friendly people of the civ forums :D

First of all thanks alot to you Utahjazz for this great tutorial.

After alot of units and alot of rendering....... I realized that I had probably made a huge mistake. When you render then run animation you are supposed to change the PDM body yrotate back to 0 (previous -20), my question: am I supposed to do that for the other animations aswell or shall they remain at

(Worst thing is that I probably already know that answer for this question, I just hope I am wrong)

I don't remember having to rotate the body at all! The key thing is that the unit should be facing the correct direction (due south, due east, etc.). If it's facing the right way, and it's facing the same way in each animation (obviously crucial, so they cycle smoothly), then it's OK. But I have a nasty fear that if you've been rotating the body in some animations and not in others, then it's not going to be consistent...

Ye my guess is that -20 rotate was to get a better view when you where animating and where supposed to be changed back when rendering.

Guess I have some more rendering to do then, yippie....

Thanks for the answers.

edit: Well about thoose units Stormrage as you hear its quantity not quality, but hopefully they will soon be good enough for me to post them here.

In Utah's tutorial, you ARE supposed to rotate the body 20 degrees, as Utah felt it gives the unit a more powerful looking stance.

For the Run Animation, you should use an entirely different save. Take your unit, delete all keyframes so your unit appears in the 'crucfix'-like position, add the run animation and save as 'unitrun.pz3'.

For the other animations, the abdomen should be rotated 15-20 degrees opposite the body, so as to not mess up the direction for the attack.

Hope that helps some.

I'm sorry if this was asked before, but the link to poser 5 DL isn't working (the curioslabs one) and when I google, I onlt get contentparadise site where it isn't on anymore. can someone please direct me to a good site?

Top Bottom