United Nations is built, but there's no vote, why?

dickens

Chieftain
United Nations is built by America. I (France) wait for the vote and expect a diplomatic victory. But there's no vote after several turns. What happens? How can I call for a vote?

you can't. the one who built the UN can decide to vote or not. seems like america fears a diplomatic defeat and thats why they won't allow the vote.

Originally posted by MTheil3508
Building the UN to stop the AI from getting diplomatic victory
Has anyone ever actually lost to the AI via diplomatic victory? I never have. Usually all the AI's have at least one broken peace treaty, trade agreement, or ROP rape on their rap sheet by the middle ages. And they all seem to love to raze cities and use captured workers. Sometimes I think they're even too ashamed to vote for themselves, lol.
Back in my Monarch level days, I actually lost a cultural victory (Babs, single city - still humiliating) but have never seen an AI civ even come in a close second in a UN vote.

Originally posted by wilbill
Has anyone ever actually lost to the AI via diplomatic victory?

I have!
I lose every time! I never really consider going for Diplo victory, i just sometimes do the vote for fun to see how much they hate me :D
I won by diplo once, just so that I have had all types of victories at least once, but apart from that: never!

The AI uses me as a scapegoat for everything so I see no poinjt in kissing their arses and instead I kick them. :tank:

ilost, but never when i built i.
it does seem to be that if you build the UN, hen you are assured of victory, i've won a diplo victory after whipping out 2 civs, bth times breakig RoP or trade, and all but one civ voted for me.

Originally posted by Henry_X

Isn't it 20 turns ? It seems to be the magic number in Civ. Could be wrong, never really paid attention to it.

I thought that too.
But then, i wanted confirmation, so i went to the Newbie thread, and i was told it was 11 turns...
Got confused too :confused: as i thought too 20 was the magic number :lol:

Originally posted by farting bob
ilost, but never when i built i.
it does seem to be that if you build the UN, hen you are assured of victory
Usually, but I think not always, Bob. Ran into a "no majority" situation once - 5 votes for me, 2 for Japan, 3 abstentions - and ROP's, gifts and even an MPP didn't get the abstentions to vote for me (I was a bit warlike early in the game - youthful indiscretions). Gave up trying after about 50 years.

If you spend the industrial age schmoozing all the civs then get the UN then yes, you are guaranteed a victory.

Most of the time I build it just to keep those !#$@ german/japanese/persians who had their own continent from the beginning from winning.

I lost once because I was not one of the civs up for the vote. It was an OCC game and I was well on my way to a 20k cultural victory. I timed a war one turn before the UN was completed by a rival civ and they could not risk the first UN vote. However, by the time the second UN vote came up, the world was in two alliances, 4 vs. 3 and the UN owner was on the side of the four. I just got to a point where I could not hold enough civs on my side of the war. Probably could have done some things differently diplomatically that would have prevented the loss, but by the time I realized the bind I was in, it was too late. The most frustrating thing is that I was less than 20 turns from that 20k cultural victory.

Never declare war and avoid mpp's and accepting allianaces. If a civ declares war on you, get an alliance if you need one and hold to the 20 turns of the alliance.

If you have broke an allinace, the civ that builds the UN will probably go war crazy. Build a fleet and load tanks or ma in the transports and raze the city with the UN.

I recently lost to France diplomatically. I was dominating in every aspect of the game when I was handed my first diplomatic loss. That defeat really stung, too, as I was only 2 turns away from the UN myself!

It is so important to build the UN. It is very possible for the AI to sneak attack you and/or to build a coalition against you. Even if you have maintained a sterling reputation, the fact is that a civilization will not vote for you if they are at war with you.

Top Bottom