"Unusable voice capture device"

Elden

is back!
Every time I start the game it pops up three (identical) error messages telling me this even though I have voice chat turned off and nothing selected for it. No matter if I play vanilla, Warlords, BTS or Colonization every time, the same error.

It just tells me it is disabled and I click ok, but it is irritating having to do that three times every time I start the game. Is there any fix?

Moderator Action: Moved to tech support (because it's not really a bug).

Go to Documents\My Games\BtS, open the civilizationIV.ini with a text editor (right click -> open with... -> choose Wordpad or Notepad), and change
PHP:
; Enable voice over IP capture and playback
EnableVoice = 1

to 0. Save, and in case you're really playing Vanilla or WL, then do the same in the respective vanilla and WL folders.

Moderator Action: Moved to tech support (because it's not really a bug).

Go to Documents\My Games\BtS, open the civilizationIV.ini with a text editor (right click -> open with... -> choose Wordpad or Notepad), and change
PHP:
; Enable voice over IP capture and playback
EnableVoice = 1

to 0. Save, and in case you're really playing Vanilla or WL, then do the same in the respective vanilla and WL folders.
Thanks for the fix, that's much better! :D
And apologies for the wrong section, I didn't spot the right one. :blush:

Thanks! :thanx: I've been having this problem ever since I got my new computer with Windows 7.
Glad it helped someone else too. :)

Oh well I just got used to always plugging in a microphone before playing, these times are over now. Thank you!

After reinstalling Civ 4 due to some problems that didn´t let me play PBEMs sometimes, I have this problem again, however whenever I put this option in the .ini file to 0 it just seems to set itself back to 1 whenever I start BtS. Basically I replace the 0 with a 1, save, close, open it again, the 0 is still there, close, start BtS, get the popups, close BtS, look up the .ini file again and waddayano, it´s back to 1. Any suggestions on this?

So thats what you do so that doesnt happen

I had the problem, then I fixed it (in the manner described in this thread) then I downloaded a couple of mods (it began after I added the Canadian Civ mod) and it came back. Now here is the odd part, I checked the proper .ini file and it has the voice capture still at 0.

Any ideas anyone?

I have checked ever .ini file in 2K games folder, nothing, every .ini file that has any thing about voice is set to 0. Yet I still get the annoying voice capture error message.

The very strange thing is, as I mentioned in the previous post is that I had the problem, I fixed it (this was several months ago) by changing the 1 to 0. I download a couple of mods, and I have the problem again, yet they have no "voice" settings in any of the .ini that they have.

The two mods were Dune Wars and the Canada civ. I'm stumped, I can't find a single reason why this error is happening.

It seems that the upgrade patch of 1.74 upsets the original .ini settings (it creates a .bak file)

It should be announced that you need check this ; Enable voice over IP capture and playback setting and change it to 0 (false) after upgrade.

Top Bottom