Upgrading Some of My PC Hardware, Need Some Help!

It looks like the Vertex series was better than most, I can only how that the 4 is much better than the 2.

It looks like the Vertex series was better than most, I can only how that the 4 is much better than the 2.

Better than most OCZ models... ;)

Numbers for other brands
( http://www.hardware.fr/articles/881-7/ssd.html )

- Intel 0,45%
- Samsung 0,48%
- Corsair 1,05%
- Crucial 1,11%

Vertex 3 is mentioned in the article with 1.5%, so hopefully the Vertex 4 will be OK, too.

The Vertex 4 is probably not as bad as some other OCZ models, but some series had failure rates in the ballpark of 50%. :crazyeye:
(actual RMA numbers from a big retailer):

- 40,00% OCZ Petrol 64GB
- 39,42% OCZ Petrol 128GB
- 30,85% OCZ Octane 128 GB SATA II
- 29,46% OCZ Octane SATA II 64GB
- 9,73% OCZ Vertex 2 120GB 3,5 "
- 9,59% OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
- 6,73% OCZ Vertex 2 60GB
- 5,43% OCZ Agility 3 240GB
- 5,12% OCZ Vertex Plus 128GB
Over what period of time? All storage drives fail eventually.

The article is using parts that were sold in the 6 month following a starting date, and RMA returns of those parts in the 12 month following that starting date.

The point is, comparable models of OCZs competitors had a failure rate an order of magnitude lower, and conventional HDDs are somewhere around 2-3% on average.

There have always been cases of models/batches of HDDs/SSDs with high failure rates, but a bunch of different models from the same brand being that much worse than the competition is highly unusual.

And indeed there where reports that OCZ was cutting corners in their SSD manufacturing/design lately (unconfirmed of course).

So since when can you not but windows in a damn store?!?

So after waiting 3 days for my hardware I have to wait three more for software!!!! Who the hell. Ame up with this shoddy crap?

I Just got back from Best Buy and all they sell is upgrades. They said only OEM licensed retailers would sell the an initial product and these days that means online.

I would download widows but you noeed an operating system installed to do that

Yeah but that's still online. I am pretty sure I am going to stick with Windows 7 anyway.

So everything is installed, it appears everything is running, but to enter BIOS setup I have to hit "F1". The problem is I have a wireless keyboard and I don't think the blank setup is able to recognize it. Do I have to buy a wired keyboard just so I can set this thing up?

Yeah but that's still online. I am pretty sure I am going to stick with Windows 7 anyway.

So everything is installed, it appears everything is running, but to enter BIOS setup I have to hit "F1". The problem is I have a wireless keyboard and I don't think the blank setup is able to recognize it. Do I have to buy a wired keyboard just so I can set this thing up?

Always keep a spare PS/2 keyboard, those things are a life saver.

Oddly it was a PS/2 wireless, I removed the adapter and used the USB connection and it worked.

I don't know about the case. It looks kind of classy if you view your computer as a piece of furnishing to decorate a room, but it's not clear what the material is. Sounds like it might be plastic with an aluminum face. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd want to know what the material is first.

I like Corsair RAM. Some people say it's over-priced marketing, but I find it durable.

I think the Z77 chipset is fine, although I wouldn't spend extra money just for the label of "military class".

I would most likely upgrade the video card unless you are happy with your current performance levels. I like EVGA myself, but probably 550 ish nowadays. Integrated GPU on the chip doesn't impress me. Just buy a second video card if you're worried about blowing one.

And since you're military, check out your BX/PX for your OS. They should be able to give you that hook up at a discount, I'd think.

Top Bottom