Upgrading your computer

Vista 32 bit would be limited to a similar amount of RAM, yes. The 3.25 is specific to my computer and can change depending on the OS and hardware IIRC, but the idea is that 32bit OS's are limited by a theoretical maximum of 4GiB (Note: 2^32 bytes = 4GiB) of RAM but typically they have somewhere between about 3 and 3.5GiB max available.

Is 32bit Vista limited to 3.25 GB of RAM too?
Yes it is
Vista 32 bit would be limited to a similar amount of RAM, yes. The 3.25 is specific to my computer and can change depending on the OS and hardware IIRC, but the idea is that 32bit OS's are limited by a theoretical maximum of 4GiB (Note: 2^32 bytes = 4GiB) of RAM but typically they have somewhere between about 3 and 3.5GiB max available.

This problem is almost exclusive to windows...

Well I just hope the game engine is an efficient as Firaxis claims it is otherwise I'll have to get a new computer for Civ V which will likely take me until Civ V Complete comes out.

I'm curious. What games make best use of quadcores? (i.e. not just 100% of core 1 and 10% of the other 3 cores)

I suspect that in most games still, one of the best dual cores easily matches the performance of a quadcore and they're cheaper too.
In games that really hog processor power like for example World at War, it really pays to have more processor power. Extra cores make a big difference there, even if the performance does not scale up lineair with the amount of cores used.

'Using', and making productive use of cores are different. The game engine may be able to spread jobs over many cores, but if there aren't gains in performance, what's the point?. . ..
Read the GDC thread - that is exactly what they addressed.

Thyrwyn, you seem to be the "expert" about the GDC article, I have an i7 with hyperthreading, does civ v have to support hyperthreading to use this? Or will it not matter and run like there's 8 cores? Or just use 4? Was anything mentioned?

Please, can we not turn this into another discussion about why Mac is better than Windows?
IIRC some types of Linux don't have this problem either
Thyrwyn, you seem to be the "expert" about the GDC article, I have an i7 with hyperthreading, does civ v have to support hyperthreading to use this? Or will it not matter and run like there's 8 cores? Or just use 4? Was anything mentioned?

Actually I think they used that as an example, and they worked on multithreading with Intel so I'm pretty sure that it will use hyperthreading (BTW, that's not how it works)

@cardgame, if you would like to continue this discussion then either start a thread in computer talk or PM me

@PieceOfMind

As far as I know, hyperthreading means that logical cores can be used as if they were hardware cores. If Firaxis have mentioned that they have the game running on 12 cores, then I would assume that that is 6 hardware ones, and 6 logical ones - perhaps a i7 980X. Not aware of any (mainstream) CPUs that have 12 hardware cores.

So in summary, I expect that it will support hyperthreading to utilize the logical cores.

All 32 bit systems - regardless of OS - are limited to 4GB of RAM. 32 bit means that the OS can reference 2^32 addresses. Which is 4 GB of RAM.

As far as I know, hyperthreading means that logical cores can be used as if they were hardware cores. If Firaxis have mentioned that they have the game running on 12 cores, then I would assume that that is 6 hardware ones, and 6 logical ones - perhaps a i7 980X. Not aware of any (mainstream) CPUs that have 12 hardware cores.

So in summary, I expect that it will support hyperthreading to utilize the logical cores.
Well, AMD has 12 core Opteron serve processors which some use as workstations, or it could be dual processor hexacore Opteron
All 32 bit systems - regardless of OS - are limited to 4GB of RAM. 32 bit means that the OS can reference 2^32 addresses. Which is 4 GB of RAM.
Windows is gimped at ~3.3GB because it's a 32bit extension to a 16bit graphicalshell for an 8bit operating system made for a 4bit cpu by a 2bit company that cant stand 1bit of competition

The gist of the GDC presentation is this: many games that take advantage of threading do so by dividing the different "parts" of the game among different threads: one thread for the AI, one thread for graphics; one thread for combat resolution, etc... while this is more efficient than only using one thread/processor, the various threads would still have a lot of down time as they waited for processes in other threads to resolve. A lot of down time. Not only that, but the game could only take advantage of as many threads as the game had been programmed to use.

With Civ V, they moved away from dedicated threads, and broke every thing down to their most basic jobs (or messages): "do this combat calculation"; "animate this graphic"; "determine if this AI will accept this trade"; "what does this civ's strategic AI want to accomplish this turn"; etc...

The have a master message handler that divvies up the messages to the next available thread. There is no memory allocation; there is minimal down time. And, more importantly, it allows the game to (theoretically) take advantage of as many threads as there are available.

A few bits were a little over my head, but that was what I took away from the presentation.

The game engine they were using would be more than 6 months old by now, but they were running the full graphics (all unit & terrain animations, all the water effects, etc...): at one point in the demo he went into the world builder and added ~5000 warriors (maybe 300+ units) to the map. The game didn't blink - not while he was adding the units, not once they were all being displayed. He compared it to civ rev in which their max was ~100 units (or 300 figures).

The gist of the GDC presentation is this: many games that take advantage of threading do so by dividing the different "parts" of the game among different threads: one thread for the AI, one thread for graphics; one thread for combat resolution, etc... while this is more efficient than only using one thread/processor, the various threads would still have a lot of down time as they waited for processes in other threads to resolve. A lot of down time. Not only that, but the game could only take advantage of as many threads as the game had been programmed to use.

With Civ V, they moved away from dedicated threads, and broke every thing down to their most basic jobs (or messages): "do this combat calculation"; "animate this graphic"; "determine if this AI will accept this trade"; "what does this civ's strategic AI want to accomplish this turn"; etc...

The have a master message handler that divvies up the messages to the next available thread. There is no memory allocation; there is minimal down time. And, more importantly, it allows the game to (theoretically) take advantage of as many threads as there are available.

A few bits were a little over my head, but that was what I took away from the presentation.

The game engine they were using would be more than 6 months old by now, but they were running the full graphics (all unit & terrain animations, all the water effects, etc...): at one point in the demo he went into the world builder and added ~5000 warriors (maybe 300+ units) to the map. The game didn't blink - not while he was adding the units, not once they were all being displayed. He compared it to civ rev in which their max was ~100 units (or 300 figures).

Hopefully someone will "bulldoze" it with 64 superhyperthreaded AMD Interlagos cores and see the true limits of Civ V, formula: 4 sockets·16 cores(·2modules),

one can dream

Just built a new PC, so I'm ready to go. Using AMD 955 quad-core, 4 gigs g.skill ram, good HDD, Win7 64-bit, and HD 5770 1 gig. :)

Can't imagine it needing more than what I've got. Hope not. :)

Just built a new PC, so I'm ready to go. Using AMD 955 quad-core, 4 gigs g.skill ram, good HDD, Win7 64-bit, and HD 5770 1 gig. :)

Can't imagine it needing more than what I've got. Hope not. :)

It won't I have a similar system, but I dropped for a 5850 instead of a 5770. I also got a board with the 890GX chipset and also has crossfire support, for when I find a sick deal on a second 5850.

Current rig runs BC2 at 1920x1080 on a 23inch screen with ZERO issues everything except AA and AF maxed. I forgot which modified I applied to those. But I pull plenty of frames, civ5 will NOT be more intense that BC2. Not a chance.

Top Bottom