Used Nuked to save city state...city state hates me

Xakire

Chieftain
I was playing on an archipelago map as England and I was at war with Spain. I had no cities on Spain's Island so I used an allied city state as a base to invade Spain, I also had no units to defend my capital on an Island nearish Spain so I had 2 other City States as a kind of buffer between Spain and I. Later during the war I saw a massive Spanish fleet (like 20 Frigates and Privateers compared to my 5ish battleships) heading towards the city state I was using as a base, I tried my best to quell the Invasion but there were just to many so as a last resort I dropped an Atom Bomb right in the middle of the Spanish Fleet doing tons of damage (some ships survived but I had gained control of situation). So I saved my city state friend and they thanked me by declaring war on me!!! I didn't even drop the bomb in their territory!!! Anyway I reloaded an earlier save just before I dropped the bomb and the Spanish captured the city state. Later in another war I liberated it.

Why did the city state declare war on me? I dropped the bomb in neutral waters near another one of my city state allies and they did not care?!?!

Presumably the city state must have had a ship in range of the bomb. If any nation has a unit get the slightest bit of damage from a bomb, then it'll declare war on you.

If the bomb injures a single CS unit or any fallout falls on a single CS tile (even a plain ocean tile), you have attacked your own allied CS.

But, but, but, you would say, "I saved that ungrateful CS!" Yeah, well, as they say, if you want gratitude, get a dog. A CS DOW is part of the risk associated with flinging around nukes.

I might return the favor in kind by build another nuke for the CS :). I think it is as Nonevah said, or you can think (for roleplay purpose) that the CS consider nuking as an atrocities, CS affected by ocean and aerial fallout, or the realistic case that there's no guarantee that you will not drop one in their only city. :)

my personal experience with nukes is that everyone is mad when someone use one. I never used CS as ally to invade another island... i first take the CS
And later when others get to research nukes i just ban them through WC

my personal experience with nukes is that everyone is mad when someone use one.

I am careful with my nukes. Except my target, no one seems to care -- which I find odd -- but that is the way the game works.

i first take the CS

Everyone is mad when you do that! It can be really awkward, but really you want to avoid taking CS if you possibly can. It makes little sense -- but that is the way the game works.

i first take the CS
Everyone is mad when you do that! It can be really awkward, but really you want to avoid taking CS if you possibly can. It makes little sense -- but that is the way the game works.

I'm guessing it's because you've made one less CS with which they can be friends or ally?

I am careful with my nukes. Except my target, no one seems to care -- which I find odd -- but that is the way the game works.

At the point when im waging wars on another continent i couldnt care less about other civ`s opinion of me. I just try to dominate them through WC and if that doesnt help i send my army/fleet to say "hi"

a bit offtopic: Usually when i take over annexed CS by other civ i always chose "Liberate" and everyone loves me :D

I'm guessing it's because you've made one less CS with which they can be friends or ally?

No, you get hate from all AIs because you have just taken the last city from a civ. That is the action which generates the most warmonger hate.

No, you get hate from all AIs because you have just taken the last city from a civ. That is the action which generates the most warmonger hate.

That said... If i am to make puppet out of the last city of a civ will i generate less warmonger? or it doesnt matter if i annex or puppet or destroy the city

^^ Puppet/annex/raze is not a factor. It makes little sense that razing does not generate warmonger hate -- but that is the way the game works.

I am struggling with war mongering, but I really want civs out of the game. So I plan ahead when I can, so that their cap is not the last city of the civ I want out of the game. What I try to do is (better, but most situational, options first):
  1. Have the last city be one I can liberate.
  2. Have an allied CS take the last city. They almost always raze it.
  3. Usually I have another AI at war with me against the civ I want out. So I bombard the city down to 0 HP, make peace, and let another AI take the last city. This is nice because it gives me the option to recall them latter in the game.
  4. Let another AI take the last city.

how do you make CS actively attack enemy... for me (atleast on lower difficulties) they dont do much... especially if the enemy is not near their borders

You have to be so careful with nukes due to collateral damage. Save a CS? Doesn't matter if their unit or territory takes a hit. Unfortunately the programming makes no allowance for what would have happened (or could of) if it wasn't used. I can understand that it can't be programmed to see what "may" occur, but I wouldn't think it was too difficult to make it understand there has been an overwhelming threat removed.

they dont do much... especially if the enemy is not near their borders

That is my experience too. I only ever have success with this when the CS borders the last city -- so highly situational, but you can plan many turns ahead for it.

When I try this, if the CS is not already helping, I usually will have a mounted or (better) melee ship on hand to donate on the turn the city falls to 0 hp. Sometimes it takes them a couple turns, so that means gifting more than one unit. The CS needs line of sight on the city, and the city heals a bit on the AI turn.

Top Bottom