Useless Military Leader

Well I'm SURE this one is a bug: Playing a Default rule random map game I acquired a Military Leader as the Maya. I returned him to the nearest city to build an Army but there was no icon for the change. I waited 'til the next turn -- still no change. I sent him to the capital and still no opportunity to build an army or finish non-wonder project.
I've included 3 saves. The 1st requires you to attack with the as yet heroic elites.

Pre Leader Save

Save from turn of leader's creation

Save

I couldn't open it since it was 1.22 (still playing PBEM) to test my assumption. Don't you need a least four cities before building an army ?:confused:

Alas, this one isn't a bug either.

You need 4 cities for each army. If you don't have 4 cities then no armies are allowed (and if you have 7 or less cities, only one army allowed, etc.)

Catt :)

From the screenshot it looks like there is one turn remaining to complete your unit so that may be why.

The rush icon did not appear when the leader was in the other city either. Perhaps the 4 city requirement is in effect for this as well.

I wasn't been able to rush normal improvements with MGLs in my last game (v1.22). I don't know the precise rules regading rushing with an MGL (other than no rushing Great Wonders).

It's possible that they disabled improvement (and units?) rushing, since the AI always rushes units. I'm testing this right now BTW.

EDIT:

Military Great Leaders can rush Great and Small wonders, and build armies.

However, the AI still can rush units and small wonders, as well as great wonders. So yes, it's really messed up now, but the origanal bug posted isn't a bug. This will have to go as a new bug report.

There may be 2 seperate issues, my save may have more to do with >4 cities. Check Cheiftess' thread for the details.

It will be difficult to determine if it is a >4 city problem because Chieftess has discovered that the ML does not work properly in edited games (at least). So please keep a look out in natural games where you've got >4 to see if the "no rush" bug is there. Let me know :)

Hi,, on reading the post i have something which may be related .

Im including an earlier save file from my game (as i`ve played alot more of the game when i couldnt figure out the prob)

As the topic says i have been at war for a bit with the aztecz and finally got another military leader..I sent him back to the main land i own to rush a wonder so i could enter my golden age but when he got there all they gave me for options if making an army,,Now i def have more then 4 towns so this may prove that to not be the problem,,i`ve even sent him to diff towns but to no avail,,

Ok some up to date info for ya: The ML(military leader Hengest) is located in Karakorum,,I got him in Bonn located between our 2 continents,,I sent him originally to the town of Gems(to the right of where he is now) so i could rush Newtons Unversity but they wouldnt let me so i moved him where he is now to see if they`d let me rush the Sistine Chapel but as you will see its not an option.So thats where we`re at as far as the post goes.

Im very interested in finding out why this is so i can deal with it in future games

sry forgot to add that i used WinAce to zip this file if thats a prob let me know and i`ll zip another one with WinZip,,Also i`m currently using the 1.22 conquest patch

(edit)This game was started using all random settings in start up as far as civ,landmass,barbs and what not.if you need any other info let me know

Thank you

camaro04005:
Your ML is behaving correctly by not being able to complete a Great Wonder. He should be able to produce an Army or Rush any improvement, unit, or Small Wonder. The Scientific GL should be the only one able to rush a GW.
The AI's Military GL seems to be able to rush anything, and does not "seem" to choosing creating an Army enough. The player's MGL does not seem to be able to rush units (at least for me).
If you are playing an edited game there are also more issues.

ok,,Thanks for the reply..
I wasnt aware the MGL was changed in that case ,,So no more GW for ML`s ..
after reading your response i loaded the save and checked it out and as you said the ML will rush any building(no small wonders to check but i trust ya) or the palace..no unit rushing for them either

The game i was playing was a normal game no editing .

you learn something new everyday,,i didnt see it listed in the read me file (unless i missed it) .

so recap now= Military Great Leader`s now can only rush any small wonder or city improvements. That sound right.?

thanks again

I've had this bug happen at least twice -- this current game it's my second leader. I'm not sure if that was the case the first time around.

I get the announcement of the leader, he looks normal, moves normal, but when I get him to a city he can't do anything.

camaro04005 - That's right. One thing about rushing the palace, tho, you might want to do that last. The reason is, palace cost is dependent on number of shields. The more cities you have, the more the palace costs. So if you get a MGL the first battle out and rush the palace, and then proceed to take/build more cities after rushing the palace, your palace cost will go up and the MGL will not cover the extra shields. So you can either re-rush the palace, use another GL afterwords, or just wait till it's done. Sometimes it might be unavoidable to wait to rush the palace,tho.

Top Bottom