Uses of Tourism

Eukaryote

Deity
Hey, I just got Brave New World yesterday. I'm playing as England for my first game. It's the medieval age and I may build my first tourism building right now (I'm not pursuing a cultural victory). First I have to ask, what is the usefulness/purpose of tourism other than pursuing a cultural victory?

Forcing your neighbors to pick your ideology(Freedom, Order and Autocracy) and... that's pretty much it. Tourism needs to be worked.

I'm planning on choosing Autocracy because I'm under the impression it's best for war. Why would I want to force anyone else to be autocratic?

It also gives them an unhappiness penalty if they aren't, provided you are sufficiently influential with them.

You must have culture to defend yourself against enemy tourism, but not tourism itself. Still, as great works are far greater sources of culture than buildings, you'll still need them. You just don't need to mix and match or get cultural wonders that much.

You must have culture to defend yourself against enemy tourism, but not tourism itself.
This is one of the most oft-repeated bits of misinformation since BNW's launch. It's wrong, and is a path straight to piles of unhappiness.

Tourism serves as defense against enemy tourism, because unhappiness is generated based on the DIFFERENCE in influence between your civ and another civ. If you have no tourism or very minimal tourism, you will be crushed with unhappiness from other ideologies, even if you have a fair bit of culture. This is because if your influence with another civ is "Unknown" (level 0), the other civ's influence with you only has to be "Exotic" (level 1) before the ideology difference starts generating unhappiness. Even civs with fairly modest tourism are likely to be Exotic over you at some point in time, and if you're not Exotic over them back (and your ideologies differ), you start picking up unhappiness. If you manage to at least maintain parity, you're free and clear. Similarly, if there's a tourism juggernaut who's several levels of Tourism influential over your civ, they're going to be generating a lot of unhappiness in your civ, but they'll be generating a lot more unhappiness if you're not even Exotic with them.

The unhappiness penalty from ideology difference is based on the number of cities you have or a fraction the population in your cities. If you have a large puppet empire, it'll be huge, and you should do everything you can to protect yourself from it. (Crushing tourism-focused civs first is important too.)

Culture is important for defending yourself from enemy tourism, but unless none of them ever generate much tourism at all, some of them are going to be Exotic over you eventually, regardless. You want to be Exotic back.

The above statements explain most of the benefits, but fail to mention it is amusing to have a ruler approach you, saying their people are buying your blue jeans and listening to your rock and roll. :lol:

Thank you Dai for correcting that. Knowing that tourism defends against tourism saved me in my last game, I was getting some unhappiness but was able to counter by boosting tourism up and it really saved me.

Top Bottom