Using CvGameTextMgr and GameFont.tga

DutchTed

Chieftain
I saw that there were 2 new functions added to CvGameTextMgr in the patch to try and make using GameFont.tga more friendly and I thought I'd start the ball rolling to see what people's experiences of this were.

I have added a new religion and need to add the new religion symbol (and new holy city symbol) into GameFont.tga. Unfortunately, if we look at it, then we can see that the religion symbols are followed immediately by corporation symbols. Previously we would have had to manually move the corporations and then insert our new religion in between them. This involves a lot of cutting and pasting and also moving the alpha channels to correspond to the new position of the symbols.

Since this process is a total PITA, the kind people at Firaxis introduced the functions into CvGameTextMgr where you could manually specify the position of your extra icons within the file itself and avoid having to move the symbols around yourself.

In short, what I did was to amend the getFontSymbols and assignFontIDs functions in CvGameTextMgr to tell the game that there was one extra religion and that the symbols for it were after the last corporation symbol. I am sure this is not the way it was intended to be used, but it works (in a way) and for me, I find coding easier than graphical manipulation.

I was wondering if anybody else had used these functions and what their experiences were. I am pretty sure I am not using it as intended but with the lack of documentation and examples I am a bit puzzled. A search of the SDK source reveals that the function is never called in the DLL and I assume it is called from the game exe when initialising.

So guys... what are your experiences ?

~Ted

Top Bottom