Using the new Build Lists

AIAndy

Deity
I have added a new feature to the SVN version: build lists.

To use them open the new build list editing screen on the upper left of the main screen (next to the BUG option button, it uses a hammer/production icon as button).
On the left you can see all the build lists you have made (which means there is nothing there if you open the screen for the first time). You can add a new list with the ADD button on the bottom of the screen. DELETE removes the list you have currently selected (select by clicking on a list). RENAME allows you to do exactly what its name implies.
Right of the lists you find the content you have added to the currently selected list (which means nothing to be seen if it is a newly created list). Clicking on an item there removes the item from the list.
The remaining screen is filled with units, buildings and projects that you can add the same way as you would build something in a city, including Shift appending to the list and similar. On top there are also the same filters as in the city screen, with one exception, the leftmost filter now changes between displaying only what you might be able to build with your current tech progress and displaying everything.

When you have set up some lists, don't forget to click the SAVE button if you want your build lists to persist (they are stored in your user settings so the same build lists are available in all your games).

Now that you have set up some lists, you can use them in cities. Open a city screen and scroll to the bottom of the stuff to build. There you will find your build lists. You can add them to the queue in the same way as a normal building/unit but they behave a bit different. When a build list gets to the top of the queue, it adds the first buildable item on its list ahead of itself and if it was not added with Alt it also deletes itself.

So if you want to build 5 buildings from your list, then you add the list 5 times to the queue. If you want to build items from the list until there is nothing left to be built in the list, add it with Alt.

That means you can have lists that are meant for the starting sequence of new cities but you can also have lists that for instance have all anti-crime buildings in your favorite order and you just add the list to the queue whenever you want a city to build an anti-crime building.

When you have set up some lists, don't forget to click the SAVE button if you want your build lists to persist (they are stored in your user settings so the same build lists are available in all your games).

So will they delete which up update your game by uploading a new version? Meaning they are saved in the C2C mods folder rather than your My Documents (where saved games are) folder?

So will they delete which up update your game by uploading a new version? Meaning they are saved in the C2C mods folder rather than your My Documents (where saved games are) folder?
UserSettings folder, same as BUG options, which is a folder you should keep when you update.

UserSettings folder, same as BUG options, which is a folder you should keep when you update.

Do the build lists work from building names, or go through an id translation routine to cope with asset changes?

Do the build lists work from building names, or go through an id translation routine to cope with asset changes?
They are saved in a text file that uses the names, single lines in it look like this:
b:BUILDING_BANDITS_HIDEOUT

Could you filter out items already in the currently selected list (the way buildings work in the usual city screen)? If it builds the first thing in the list it can, there's no reason to have anything twice.

Somewhat more ambitious-could you filter out items in the current list *and* in a selection (possibly all) of other build lists? I kind of foresee myself making lists for 'every building in the production filter', 'ditto for the food filter' to be alt-built, 'ditto for the happy filter' to be used as necessary, and then a 'everything else'.

I know I could just try it, but I'll ask in case the same question occurs to others: CTRL-ALT-click to stick a build list at the top of the build queue? Plus Shift if the invert shift function option is in use?

I'm just going to say that's absolutely BRILLIANT! That's going to be a highly coveted feature for C2C for sure. I'm going to love working with that! Thank you for this! Awesome!

OK, I am missing something, besides being able to add buildings which you can't build at the moment how is this different from the current lists provided by Civ IV?

Unless I'm misreading - I haven't tried the SVN version yet to see -, Build Lists can be created once and then "built" with one click in each city and across multiple games. Unless you routinely use the governor or found/conquer very few cities, it should save thousands of clicks over the course of a C2C game that runs all the way to modern.

So you could have a "Basic Production" build list, and in each city click once to build the dozens of little production boost buildings. A "Basic Food" build list, and in each city click once to build the dozens of little food boost buildings. A "$%##@ Residential" build list to build all those $%##@ residential buildings. ;)

If you don't care about even that level of fine-grained control, you could just make a "Science City" build list, a "Commerce City" build list, and a "Production City" build list, and they would be one-click builds for all your building needs, perhaps for the entire game! :o

OK, I am missing something, besides being able to add buildings which you can't build at the moment how is this different from the current lists provided by Civ IV?

They allow you to streamline how you play by pre-defining selection lists and simply loading that list with alt-select and it'll run through your pre-plotted path through the buildings etc until complete. This means you don't have to laboriously go through and set all your cities building selections one click at a time. Just define your list then select that list with alt and ignore the city until it matures (for the most part).

Which is exactly what the current system lets you do. You have up to 10 lists Ctrl-1 through Ctrl-0. It allows mixing buildings and units however you need to be able to build the unit/building at the time you make the list. If you can't build the unit/building in the city at the time it gets to it then that entry is skipped eg lighthouse in an inland city.

Which is exactly what the current system lets you do. You have up to 10 lists Ctrl-1 through Ctrl-0. It allows mixing buildings and units however you need to be able to build the unit/building at the time you make the list. If you can't build the unit/building in the city at the time it gets to it then that entry is skipped eg lighthouse in an inland city.
The problem with the Ctrl-1 lists is that you can only set them up with what you can put into the queue of a single city at a specific time.
If you want a list that has all the little buildings that depend on city vicinity, you can't.
If you want a list that has units that depend on buildings earlier in the list, you can't.

But now you have a separate screen that you can use to set up all those lists that you might want.
Then there are usage scenarios like this that you can't do with the old lists:
You set up a list with all anti-crime buildings in your preferred order. Then you go to the domestic advisor and sort your lists by crime. Select the cities with the highest crime and queue your anti-crime list without Alt. Now each of these cities will build your preferred anti-crime building and if it already has that, your second preferred and so on. No need to select them one at a time and check what it already has.

Could you filter out items already in the currently selected list (the way buildings work in the usual city screen)? If it builds the first thing in the list it can, there's no reason to have anything twice.

I'm sure I'm breaking some etiquette by +1-ing myself, but I found this evening that the new build screen has the 'return to the top of the list' feature of the city screen. Which is problematic if you're trying to make a 'build everything that ever might appear under the production filter' list. So I'm doubly asking for a remove selected items feature.

View attachment BuildLists.rar

When I have this in my user settings folder (as late as svn 3440) I get a runtime error just as loading (or starting) a game completes (after the selected options pop-up appears and the mouse icon changes from a spinning planet to a running dude.

very nice addition AiAndy! Its clearly better than standard lists because you can add things to the queue that depend on prerequisites. One thing I noticed when first using this feature, I can't seem to use the control-click to add them to the beginning of a current queue. Is that where your inverse shift thingy in bug comes into play?

View attachment 329366

When I have this in my user settings folder (as late as svn 3440) I get a runtime error just as loading (or starting) a game completes (after the selected options pop-up appears and the mouse icon changes from a spinning planet to a running dude.
The lists look correct on first view so I can't say right away what is wrong. Unfortunately that means it has to wait until I am back at my modding computer in around 3 weeks.

very nice addition AiAndy! Its clearly better than standard lists because you can add things to the queue that depend on prerequisites. One thing I noticed when first using this feature, I can't seem to use the control-click to add them to the beginning of a current queue. Is that where your inverse shift thingy in bug comes into play?
There is a bug with that option and Ctrl. I think you have to use Shift-Ctrl if it is active to add something at the start of the queue.
I'll fix that when I am back.

So it would look something like this then (see pic 1), then in EACH city do i have to put it in the queue or it does it automatically when its available? I saw it at the bottom of my queue but them what sorry :blush:

Top Bottom